What's new

Ready to try kava, but hesitant

Nova Cain

Seeking the edges
I have everything I need to get in the kava groove. Alu-ball, a sampler pack from Cactus Kava, And you great people on this forum!
I got about four hours sleep last night due to my regular insomnia pattern. Yay.
Today at work was brutal and my anxiety was sky-high. It usually is.
I would like to do a light dose of kava, mainly to deal with this runaway anxiety, but I'm nervous I will a) get too sedated and be a zombie at work tomorrow, b) not be able to fall asleep and/or c) get nauseated from it.
I know I'm overthinking things.
Looking for some thoughts on dosage, timing and whatnot.
Want this to be a good experience, so any tips would be so kind...

I can always wait until circumstances are better, but I'm excited to try

Thanks, everyone-

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
There is very little chance that you will have any kind of second-day effect from it. This is what happens from consuming extreme amounts or tudei. Most people find that kava helps with sleep; I'm a lifelong insomniac and I always go to sleep shortly after hitting the pillow on kava nights. As for nausea, I mean there is that risk but there's never not going to be that risk. Most nausea is related to bad preparation (drinking too much sediment or unstrained roots) or again, consuming extreme amounts.

I'm not sure how much an AluBall takes, I'd try kneading four tablespoons in the strainer you got with the kava (I think you should have gotten one with the cactus order) for ten minutes and then drink it over the course of an hour and see if it gets you anywhere.

EQ

Atman
Fill up half the aluball with Kava. Like one side of the ball when it is untwisted. Fill up the bottle with 500ml and shake.
That would be a nice beginner serving.

@kavadude said 4 tablespoons. The equivalent would be 2 aluball servings I said above. You can simply fill that bottle up all the way with water. Put a ball through, shake, empty the ball, and repeat once more. 2 balls worth. You could split it in half and drink the rest later for a nice smooth ride.

Don't fill both sides of the aluball to save time as it does not work when the ball is crammed. The water does not go through the root.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I have everything I need to get in the kava groove. Alu-ball, a sampler pack from Cactus Kava, And you great people on this forum!
I got about four hours sleep last night due to my regular insomnia pattern. Yay.
I would like to do a light dose of kava, mainly to deal with this runaway anxiety, but I'm nervous I will a) get too sedated and be a zombie at work tomorrow, b) not be able to fall asleep and/or c) get nauseated from it.

Thanks, everyone-
Hey there!

I would recommend the lawena for your first time. Additionally (and nothing against @Kavafied ), I would try to use the strainer I provided instead of the aluball. You'll get a much stronger mix, and get more out of your kava. The aluball is great for on the go mixing, but if you have 5 minutes at home, traditional prep is the way to go. Follow the directions on the package for a few shells. I would prepare enough for four shells, but just drink enough until you feel like you've had enough. I'll normally drink 3 shells a night, but you'll never know how many you will want to drink till you try it.

Follow this guide for prep:http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-grog-the-cactus-kava-way.6876/

Let us know how it goes!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

Thanks, everyone-
Relax. It's kava, not heroin. Make yourself enough for two strong servings. Have one, wait 15 minutes and if you're not feeling much have another. If you don't feel much from that one, you're experiencing reverse tolerance and you should try again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Relax. It's kava, not heroin. Make yourself enough for two strong servings. Have one, wait 15 minutes and if you're not feeling much have another. If you don't feel much from that one, you'r experiencing reverse tolerance and you should try again tomorrow.
Couldn't have said it better. Kava is not supposed to be stressful :)

Nova Cain

Seeking the edges
Doh! I was halfway through a piece of chicken before I remembered the empty stomach part. Ook.
Blaming it on sleepy.
Shelving for tonight but I'll take your advice and report back.

Thanks for all your help. You guys are great

EQ

Atman
Doh! I was halfway through a piece of chicken before I remembered the empty stomach part. Ook.
Blaming it on sleepy.
Shelving for tonight but I'll take your advice and report back.

Thanks for all your help. You guys are great
How much chicken? You could probably still get a good effect. If you eat a meal beforehand is the big problem.

Nova Cain

Seeking the edges
Lol... Too late. Had the rest of dinner shortly later... Wednesday night I'll get home early, make my first batch, and I'll check back here with my findings! Really looking forward to it!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If you've eaten, you can still get minor anti-anxiety effects by tucking kava between your lip and teeth and letting it soak in, suction it inward every now and then...and feel free you swallow the fine particulates. Spit out the chunkier remnants after about 15 min or so. (you could technically swallow it all when your done, since it's such a small amount.)

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I really like the Ono but it can be oily so I would recommend traditional prep when using it. Hey @CactusKava , you gonna bring the micro back?
You're the second person this week to ask about it, and it's only Tuesday! I guess I'm going to have to look into it again, just from popular request alone. I'll let you know what comes of it.

I've just added my strainers for sale again, in case anyone wants the best strainer for a cheap price. Of course, I still offer 1 free strainer with each order of kava.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
You're the second person this week to ask about it, and it's only Tuesday! I guess I'm going to have to look into it again, just from popular request alone. I'll let you know what comes of it.

I've just added my strainers for sale again, in case anyone wants the best strainer for a cheap price. Of course, I still offer 1 free strainer with each order of kava.
Wait, it's Tuesday??

Rodulf

Kava Curious

Thanks, everyone-
I began taking Kava for the same reasons...job stress. Just see my Intro post. I am sure you will like the effect. I have not found any nausea from Kava. I do eat a small ginger candy when drinking it, just to be sure. The effect on me has been one of dissolving imprinted stress and shutting down my intrusive thoughts that I normally am plagued with. The Kava makes it all go away and I sleep wonderfully. I don't need a heavy dose to get the benefits, just 2 tablespoons to a large mug of water and coconut milk. I also find that a wedge of lime makes the taste perfectly palatable. Let us know how it goes...