What's new

Oh no my lb is half gone in 4 days

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I just did the 4 balls with 1 TBS each in 2 cups water in a half gallon jug thing with some Vanuatu noble kava. Did two washes, to make 4 cups total. It's really good. Feels a tiny bit more....um.... full-spectrumy. Maybe. I dunno. Doesn't hurt it, anyway.
also this root is so freqing good when I make it the usual way, nor sure what I'm looking for. Something better than "really really great?" It does feel a bit stronger than one would expect for just 4 TBS root to a quart of water. Anyway, I don't think this is as much about exploiting the potential of the root (pretty much had that covered already) as exploiting the potential of the AluBall system. I think if people have 4 balls and a half gallon jar, go ahead and try it. You might like it, I do.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
which kava? Also don't you find 4 cups of water too much for 4 tbs?
Vanuatu noble kava (from Canopy Botanicals, I find it a really great everyday kava always tastes sweet and feels sweet, too), and nah, this is plenty strong grog, for sure for sure. I will be squeezing another cup out of this before the makas goes in the freezer, so make that 5 cups of water for 4 TBS. Of course, I could have made the third wash along with the others to add and mix for the 5 cups but I wasn't sure about the 3rd wash happening until I tasted the first wash. Also I was lazy and just wanted to drink some grog.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Vanuatu noble kava (from Canopy Botanicals, I find it a really great everyday kava always tastes sweet and feels sweet, too), and nah, this is plenty strong grog, for sure for sure. I will be squeezing another cup out of this before the makas goes in the freezer, so make that 5 cups of water for 4 TBS. Of course, I could have made the third wash along with the others to add and mix for the 5 cups but I wasn't sure about the 3rd wash happening until I tasted the first wash. Also I was lazy and just wanted to drink some grog.
Is it noble? just curious.

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
Ok so I keep reading about people freezing makas? What are makas, and why do you freeze them?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Ok so I keep reading about people freezing makas? What are makas, and why do you freeze them?
Makas are the wet, soggy grounds of what is left after you squeezed out or shook out or otherwise strained out the grog. You freeze them to accumulate a bunch to make even more good grog.

After making a couple of washes with the AluBall I then freeze the makas, adding to the container I have in the freezer for that purpose. When I have accumulated enough for it to be worthwhile, I thaw it out and using a strainer bag do several more washes with the makas. Typically about 2 cups of wet, thawed makas will make another gallon's worth of grog.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
LOL, ya I have definitely found that my TBLspns have gotten higher and higher peaks over a short period of time. Also quick update today is exactly one month without alcohol
Congrats on a month away from alcohol! I'm having a shell in your honor. (or two or three...)

Palmetto

Thank God!
Kava is a great replacement for alcohol, but I feel like I would have trouble going a week without kava or alcohol.. I go some days without one or the other, but I have one or the other most days.

I personally wasn't too keen on Akau. Seemed kind of boring to me compared to a lot of other roots. I had Kula at the same time, and definitely liked the Kula better, but even then, Kula is slightly above average for me. That being said, I don't buy bargain basement roots either. I have had some awesome BKH powders, and some mediocre ones. Akau was my least favorite BKH powder out of many.

GreatScotty

Kava Curious
It will be interesting to see how long my 2lbs will last. I just bought a bag of both verities of Squanch. Mind you I’ll be sharing it with @Intrepidus_dux. My goal is to make it last till my next rent free paycheck. We shall see. o_O::chugger::

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
@Palmetto

In response to your post I would like to say a few things. First, Akau is only the third Kava I have tried so far so I definitely do not know what all is great and ok Kava for sure. Second, I was told about it by another member on a post because I was looking for Kavas that were more "heady". After going through most of the bag I can tell you for sure it is a enjoyable Kava that is pretty euphoric and heady in my very limited experience. After that there are a few people that have said I need to try Squanch and I will probably order some of that next. The best thing about Akau for me at least is that I wan down it and make another one and down it and I have had no negative side effects. When I got a lb of Kava Supreme it last longer, but if I tried to do too much too fast it would make me feel really sick. Also with Kava Supreme I found that it had great body effects, but only on the first Aluball did I find it to have any heady effects at all and I really like the euphoria and one with the universe feeling off of headier Kavas.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
If it makes 2 or 3 of you in this thread feel better I struggle to make a pound last a week. I thought I had a pretty heavy habit. Glad I'm not alone.

I also never measure. I know how much water to kava I need for the strength I like.

It really does make me feel better that I'm not the only one that pounds the root like it's going out of style. I was getting worried to be honest about how much I actually drink. Took a week off last month when we went on vacation to NYC. Knew I'd be eating so much it was pointless to waste kava on a full stomach and I wasnt working so stress was vastly reduced.

That first shell when I got home was amazing. First was ... wow ... I forgot how bad this tastes... next was wow. I forgot how good this feels.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
lb for lb squanch seems to go the farthest for me than any other kava I have tried. First, the strength is pretty darn high. Second, I can get more oily washes out of Squanch than almost anything else I have tried.
The economy of Squanch root borders on becoming a sort of "perpetual motion" machine. The gift that keeps on giving! 1 lb Squanch lasts me 3 or 4 times other roots. Take a Waka on the wild side. Squanch is a beast.

Palmetto

Thank God!
@Palmetto

In response to your post I would like to say a few things. First, Akau is only the third Kava I have tried so far so I definitely do not know what all is great and ok Kava for sure. Second, I was told about it by another member on a post because I was looking for Kavas that were more "heady". After going through most of the bag I can tell you for sure it is a enjoyable Kava that is pretty euphoric and heady in my very limited experience. After that there are a few people that have said I need to try Squanch and I will probably order some of that next. The best thing about Akau for me at least is that I wan down it and make another one and down it and I have had no negative side effects. When I got a lb of Kava Supreme it last longer, but if I tried to do too much too fast it would make me feel really sick. Also with Kava Supreme I found that it had great body effects, but only on the first Aluball did I find it to have any heady effects at all and I really like the euphoria and one with the universe feeling off of headier Kavas.
@KavaOkie this forum is a good place for suggestions on which powders to try. Some reviews are a bit dramatically stated, and each person os different, but it gives you a better chance than blind guessing what to try next. Try heady try heavy try balanced. Get an idea for what you like. I tried heavies and tudeis for a year, but when I run out of my current batch, I am not buying heavies for a while, or tudeis, maybe never again.

BaySailor

Kava Curious
I don't measure, per se, but I try and fill the threaded half of my 2 Aluballs to the top. I haven't been using hot water until recently, and I think I've been missing something. I've been doing two balls, 2 washes, twice in an evening. Second batch gets one more fill for the next day's daywalking. Recently I tried the same dosage, but used hot tap water and let it 'steep' in the fridge without agitating. I noticed I'm getting a much more chocolate-milk color to my washes. I feel like this is because my local bar's KWK offerings have been really powdery lately, and if I don't let it steep, the Aluball's 'pores' get clogged and there isn't an exchange of liquid...
Anyway, doing it the 'new' way I've had really good results up to 4th wash...who'd have thought?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
no. What is it?
oh, hang on, isn't that just a normal sports bottle that can screw onto a blender or smoothie maker? Those are everywhere now. They are good for carrying grog you have already made, I believe, bot not for making grog as it's just a bottle, it doesn't seem to actually do anything other than hold liquid.

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
hey back at ya it is called blender bottle its by kona kava farms it is a tiugh bottle with a small metal ball with fins on it that you drop inside beats the kava up real good you do have to strain it when done shaking it i got tired of replacing aluball with busted screens you might want to check it out there is never enough gear for kava lovers

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
hey back at ya it is called blender bottle its by kona kava farms it is a tiugh bottle with a small metal ball with fins on it that you drop inside beats the kava up real good you do have to strain it when done shaking it i got tired of replacing aluball with busted screens you might want to check it out there is never enough gear for kava lovers
Yeah, I could see where that would work fine. Also, if you had a metal cocktail shaker, like for martinis, you could put in grog, water and a few food-grade golf balls and shake it up real good, then strain well, that would work. And I understand the original design of the AluBall was to have some item inside the ball like a marble or something to help further macerate the grind. The more maceration the better.

As for the AluBall breakage, I make them go several months longer by

1. wash the balls regularly, as soon after use as possible, making sure to use a brush to clean not just the screw threads, but also gently clean the screens, as well, since they can clog and become less efficient otherwise

2. use a plastic sandwich baggie when screwing on the lid so the balls smack against soft gentle slightly yielding plastic sheet instad of the hard plastic lid

3. Shake slightly down and not up, so the bottle starts at level horizontally and then you dip it down towards the top, not so much pushing it forward as just dipping the top down 15 or 20 degrees but then pulling backand then shaking in such a way that the only time the balls hit anything other than the side or another ball it is just on that plastic baggie, not on the lid and not on the bottom of the bottle.

Finally, kastom_lif invented a way of fixing AluBalls using superglue and magic powder. He taught my wife how and she does quite well with them. They do eventually fatigue, as do all things in constant use, but we get 6 - 12 months out of our balls this way.

Last edited: