What's new

Micronized Kava Review 11 Year Waka

Kimmer

Patently irritable
Talk about euphoria!! We were going out for dinner tonight so I asked Mike to make up my grog and bring it along (he was picking me up at the bus stop). I maybe had 3 slurps before the restaurant--I was feeling good at that point. Had a small steak salad and wasn't sure the remaining kava would hit.

I'm warm, have kind of warm shivers, and smiling. Kind of laggy-eyed (typing this is slower than normal...) And in the back of it all, I feel superbly relaxed. The test will be how well I fall asleep.

To be honest, I was really hoping kava would replace my alcohol use. It's lessened it considerably (went from a full drink and a glass of wine if I wasn't sleepy enough, from just a nip off the bottle before bed. And I'm not drinking kava every night.) I have a physical next month and I'll ask my doc to run liver panels just to make sure I'm okay.

On the plus side, and I wouldn't call it a hangover, but the day after a kava session I feel much more social. And I tend to agree with @Mesh, I think people find me more approachable. I think Mahakea could be the cure for "resting bitchface" :) It feels too potent to be a day kava for me, but I'm sure enjoying it tonight!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Great review Kimmer!

On the plus side, and I wouldn't call it a hangover, but the day after a kava session I feel much more social. And I tend to agree with @Mesh, I think people find me more approachable. I think Mahakea could be the cure for "resting bitchface" :) It feels too potent to be a day kava for me, but I'm sure enjoying it tonight!
Mahakea doesn't seem as strong to me as other cultivars, contrary to what most people experience. But the one thing I've noticed about Mahakea is that the next day I feel freaking awesome. I have no trouble getting out of bed, my spirits are high all day long, I'm striking up conversations with strangers, I'm resilient, ebullient, open and generally at peace with everything. It's a pretty great bonus!

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
@Steve Mariotti That's my fitbit that I use for tracking sleep. There are also iPhone/Android apps that track sleep too.
Ah, ok! Probably not too intrusive. I did a sleep study one time for Kaiser for sleep apnea (turned up negative or minor) and they had me wear a harness that's probably more complicated than anything @Rookietwoshoes has on hand in her gimp box. The damn thing probably cause more sleep disturbance than it observed.

I could probably wear a bracelet to get a sense of sleep quality and not be too disturbed by it. Cool stuff.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Great review Kimmer!

Mahakea doesn't seem as strong to me as other cultivars, contrary to what most people experience. But the one thing I've noticed about Mahakea is that the next day I feel freaking awesome. I have no trouble getting out of bed, my spirits are high all day long, I'm striking up conversations with strangers, I'm resilient, ebullient, open and generally at peace with everything. It's a pretty great bonus!

I know you are a mo'i lover but you seem to love this one too. What is the difference for you? Moi has been the only calming one that I have had but I know I have not experienced all the effects yet. I am sort of expecting zero body out of it. True? Or... to make this more abut mahakea, I should expect more body out of it than mo'i... maybe?

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I know you are a mo'i lover but you seem to love this one too. What is the difference for you? Moi has been the only calming one that I have had but I know I have not experienced all the effects yet. I am sort of expecting zero body out of it. True? Or... to make this more abut mahakea, I should expect more body out of it than mo'i... maybe?
Mahakea left me kind of flat where it really lights up for others. I didn't feel much of anything during my session. Some very light anxiolysis, it was neither heady nor body-y. Just kind of low level kava-ness without much fireworks.

But then the next day, I felt freaking awesome. Every time I drink Mahakea, the next day I feel is like the best day of my life. I swear, it does this way more than any other kava variety for me.