What's new

$20 Lbs of Noble Kava!!!

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
Buying larger wholesale quantities gets you closer to a reasonable price per pound. Also, if you can buy locally from Indo-Fijians, Samoans or Tongans, like I often do (in California), they're always cheaper than most online vendors. This year, however, even my local sources have bumped their prices a bit for the first time in several years. I can still get a pound of strong waka for $32 (prev. $27), average waka for $28 (prev. $20)...my Tongan source will usually stuff a ziploc sandwich bag for 15$ (probably half-pound?) and my Samoan source also raised the price of his little 1/4 pound bags...since he noticed an uptick in sales.

I don't think kava supply is really an issue when I read this, but rather, there might be short supply of the available kava plants that are actually being processed for export. In other words, there are plenty of kava plants in the world, perhaps more on Pentecost than anywhere else, and there could be plenty more plants planted but if the vast majority of them stay planted or only get used for local use, we'll never see the benefit of them saturating the market.

Depending on how many islanders have taken notice of the current international kava resurgence and have decided to try and make some money off it, there's a chance that in 3-7 yrs we might see a more flooded and competitive market that results in somewhat cheaper prices.
I wish I had a few local kava dealers....:(
One more reason to move to Cali

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
I wish I had a few local kava dealers....:(
One more reason to move to Cali
Don't...the money you are gonna spend simply trying to survive while having to share a living space with strangers is gonna offset any money you save on kava

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Well, the fact that I can get absolutely grogged out of my skull with 3 TBS of kava....the premium isn't that bad considering the convenience. But what about the poor guy who needs 1/2 a cup? For heavens sake, his kava habit is now costing him as much as heroin (not factoring the destruction to ones life, mind, and body with heroin)

I guess what I'm asking, Cactus Man is.....how do you sleep at night?
I literally haven't ever paid myself since starting Cactus Kava, so I sleep at night knowing I'm providing great kava at a price that's as low as I can go without going in the red. Unfortunately, noble, quality wholesale kava prices are right around what you want to pay retail. You've got to think about the upstream effects that $20/lb will have on the farmers that produce this root after 3-5 years of waiting for their investment to grow big enough to harvest. It's a much more complicated scenario than most are willing to actually look into.

Cheers,
Morgan

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I still say Puerto Rico with its crashed (lot of land) economy would be ideal to the growth of Kava. Infact the ag industry in general is making a come back there.

I knew the prices were heading sky ward a few years back. Mother Nature and human desire for more made a perfect storm. These prices will beat back new users and those that are left (the normal users), will see a small pull back. This current situation will cause the resurgence of the two day demand for the uniformed market...

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I still say Puerto Rico with its crashed (lot of land) economy would be ideal to the growth of Kava. Infact the ag industry in general is making a come back there.

I knew the prices were heading sky ward a few years back. Mother Nature and human desire for more made a perfect storm. These prices will beat back new users and those that are left (the normal users), will see a small pull back. This current situation will cause the resurgence of the two day demand for the uniformed market...
I know that some people tried to grow kava in Puerto Rico and it did not work. Might I suggest getting some land here in Hawaii and growing some Hawaiian kava, you will always have a good supply of kava. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I know that some people tried to grow kava in Puerto Rico and it did not work. Might I suggest getting some land here in Hawaii and growing some Hawaiian kava, you will always have a good supply of kava. (y)
Aloha.

Chris
After drinking your Kava tonight I might have to convince my family up in Volcano, HI to grow some for my personal stash. The ground is super porous on their lot being that close to Kilauea, hope that won't affect it too much.