What's new

20 years of kava use

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I just came across this forum and, prompted by a message from Shakas, thought I would write a brief history of the last 20 years during which I have drank kava regularly, and every night for at least 6 years of that period. I started on the first night I arrived in Vanuatu, before I had ever heard of the internet in 1995.

Whilst a volunteer in Vanuatu for the best part of 4 years I was lucky enough to travel to every island except Mota in the Banks group, and drink kava in nakamals the length of the country. In general the kava in the islands is fresher and stronger than the stuff served up in Vila the capital, and there is much more observance of protocol - low voices, not much talking at all, and the absence of women whilst drinking (except in commercial nakamals on some larger islands like Santo & Malekula) was common across the country. In Tanna and Aniwa in the south, women may not even approach the nakamal whilst it is being used - it is strictly a men-only zone and used to be punished harshly in the old days.
In villages across the country there are usually 2-3 separate nakamals, commercial ones in larger villages where you might pay 20vt/shell as opposed to 50vt in Vila or Luganville. There is usually also a more traditional nakamal where people prepare their own kava - in Tanna for example there may be several small groups of drinkers preparing separately in each corner of the ground.

The most memorable kava nights for me were in Tanna, whilst working in the custom villages in the centre around Yaonanen, Yapilmai and Yakel. After a days work walking through the bush all day assessing water sources we would crouch around a huge banyan tree in the nakamal grounds just before sunset, whilst the younger men and boys pushed chunks of fresh kava root into their already crammed mouths and chewed it up. There is a skill to this, as whenever I tried to chew my own fresh kava I ended up wasted before even drinking a shell. No matter how hard you try not to swallow any concentrate, some gets through. Once chewed up it is put into coconut fibre and water poured through, into a large shell of around 3-400ml. The style in Tanna is to have one huge shell rather than several smaller ones, with many men taking just the one although some take 1-2 plus the "makas". Sitting down on a log under the banyan in the bush clearing, dark falling quickly, you feel the kava come on after a few minutes and the effect is far greater than usually experienced in Vila nakamals and nothing like anything you get from dry powder. Your vision changes to almost tunnel vision snapshots of men walking slowly around bent over in the dusk, or just standing alone in the middle of the clearing looking at the ground, the smell of woodsmoke everywhere. Your ears can start to ring. There is an almost liquid quality to the air and the general sense is of time slowing right down. I often had a second or third, through greed rather than necessity, and often lost my legs when trying to stand when it was time to leave.

One time back in Vila I was visiting friends in a Tanna squatter camp at the plane approach end of the runway of Vila airport. They had set up a traditional Tanna style nakamal there and offered chewed kava and it was a nice change to visit there whilst still close to Vila - a taste of Tanna close to home. The occasional plane coming overhead just 100m above the ground whilst your first shell was kicking in added an extra something. I remember going one night looking for a friend Pierot from Whitesands in Tanna, who I had met on Aniwa the year before when we both got stranded there for 3 weeks after a cyclone. He wasn't there so I had 2 shells of chewed with his brother before leaving - except my legs had completely gone, even though my head felt OK. To get back to the road you had to walk across a log over a river then go another 1km to the main Mele road. They had to carry me through the water to the road and drop me into a passing minibus. In the bus I felt OK again and chatted to the driver, but upon arriving at my flat in town, opened the bus door and fell flat on my face, and had to crawl to my front door.

I was in Vanuatu last year for 3 months and had the pleasure of revisiting this Tanna community on the edge of Port Vila, where they have now set up a commercial nakamal by the main road. It is not chewed, but was of far better quality and freshness than 99% of places in town. Many of the Yakel & Yaonanen people were there and conversations were picked up from 15-20 years before like no time had passed - which is very common in in Vanuatu. Sadly the recent cyclone removed this nakamal and the housing belonging to the community behind it.

A different kava experience was to be had in Penama province - Pentecost, Maewo & Ambae. The traditional nakamals were longhouses with ground ovens in the centre, and sometimes, like in Lihuik above Melsisi on Pentecost, had bamboo bunks for drinkers to sleep in rather than go home. The kava was usually made in a "rammer" - a large mortar and pestle arrangement usually made from a short length of PVC pipe set into concrete. More traditionally it was made by hand-grinding it with a piece of dead coral, like a rasp. This too was good and strong, although several smaller (or normal size) shells are drunk instead of 1-2 huge ones like in Tanna.

Back in Port Vila there was always a vibrant kava scene with around 150 commercial nakamals at that time. There were always 2-3 taken over by expats, and the favourite would change from time to time. A favourite around 1995-97 was "PJ's" which was behind and above Independence Park on Rue Collardeu, with a stunning view over the harbour and sunset. The kava was famous for its strength, but also tasted terrible and could make the most hardened drinker retch, but we kept going back every night like moths to the flame. I think they didn't spend much effort cleaning the skin off.
Other famous expat places were Ronnies at Nambatu (recently destroyed by Pam) and the Red Light at Seaside Tongoa. Much of the time though I would drop in to PJ's then get a bus into Ohlen or Namburu, places where foreigners didn't generally go to drink, and look out good Tanna or Pentecost nakamals. Once you get to know the regular crowd at each place you used to get special rounds of coral ground or chewed kava made to order. I often used to walk back home with one eye shut as double vision could come on quickly with just one extra shell.

I only ever came across tudei (2-day) kava once in Mota Lava in the north. It hit me hard and all the next day I was too kava-sick to move, and the second day was like a normal kava hangover (general slackness, slow minded). There are many varieties of the kava family that are not suitable for drinking and I think tudei is borderline poisonous and never drank by choice. Once in central Epi we came across an abandoned village that had relocated to the coast, and the local with me showed me some kava plants like trees - 6-8m tall - and said that they grew them before for poison not for drinking.

After leaving Vanuatu in 1999 I have been back many times but have also spent 4 years in Samoa and Tonga. Whilst kava is drunk there traditionally, usually by older men in the market house or at traditional meetings, there is nothing like the kava culture found in Vanuatu. Here I used to buy powder and mix it at home. In Polynesia the preference is for dry kava, it is never prepared fresh/green, although you can find a farmer who will bring you a few kilos of the fresh stuff.

Many people have their own favourite way of mixing, but after much experimentation, I find that using hand-hot water to mix whilst having about 100g kava per litre works best. The kava is inside a womens fine ankle stocking and you nead and massage the kava till the "soapy" feel goes and you are left with just a "sawdust" feel. I then filter the kava back through the stocking 3 times, washing bowls and stocking each time in between. Then let the kava cool before drinking. For a strong mix you are looking for a darker colour and bubbles on the surface that do not burst quickly.

Health effects - I have never had any other than the slack feeling the next day. Just recently I have started to get an allergic reaction, a red itchy face the next day. I am hoping that this is because my kava stockpile is now nearly 2 years old, and not something more dubious. I think the key for regular kava drinkers is to drink plenty of water during the day, in anticipation of 5pm rolling round again....

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Wow, thank you so much for this wonderful description of your experiences with kava in Vanuatu. It reminded me of my (very short) experience in Port Vila and the fascinating world of nakamals.. I really want to go back to Vanuatu to visit the other islands.

Do you have your favourite cultivar or were they all good and what mattered more was the prep method?

Also, have you ever tried @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava 's instants? They are probably the closest thing to drinking fresh out of all the dried powders I've had.. Still, I really wish it was easier to get fresh kava in New Zealand.

Last edited by a moderator:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
excellent write up, thanks ::happyshell::
a couple quick questions;
  • how often did you seem to contract a stomach illness from the kava (dirtywater, dirty hands) ?
  • I've heard the Pentecost stone ground style is relatively easy to drink and has it's own distinct buzz to an extent, did you find this to be true ?
  • do you recall kidney stones being a problem ?
  • do you find the dim light/quiet necessary to boost effects ? how about food, after bites...
  • can you compare and contrast fresh kava to dry kava ?

(i'm just gonna tag a whole bunch of names now to draw eyes to your post @Kapmcrunk @Vekta @kavadude @Deleted User01 @HeadHodge @Monkava'd @verticity @vorticity @blindy107 @violet @KavaGurl @mos3z @BULABUCK @Ed! @Steve Mariotti @Bert07 @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava @Kalm with Kava @Global Kava Exports @infraredz etc...etc...)

Last edited:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Fantastic post, @nabanga! Wow, I could read your account of kava sampling in Vanuatu for hours. Please feel free to relate any and all such experiences here, as it's fucking captivating!

Your account of fresh kava has me drooling to try some myself. Some day. I need to get on the E3 or IGDA steering committees so I can talk them into a Game Developer's Conference in Vanuatu so I have a good excuse to go there. It really seems like getting outside of Port Vila is pretty key for getting a sense of the wide spectrum of tastes/prep/effects that kava has to offer in that country.

I would *LOVE* to get your impressions of the various ground kava powders I've tried and how they overlay with your experiences with the fresh stuff.

And finally, welcome to the forum! I hope we can offer something in return for your dense and cogent prose about first hand kava experiences!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
@Henry - The main thing was the freshness of the kava and how it was prepared. After a stormy period when the ships aren't running the kava can get mouldy in storage and can taste bad. Also some nakamals take short cuts and don't put in the prep work - leaving the skin on always makes it taste more bitter. You generally don't know the cultivar or type being served in Port Vila as many places do not get it from their own gardens but just buy it from a dealer. I haven't tried the kava you mentioned, but will be in Auckland next month and will get some to try it for sure. I had 5 years in NZ and always bought my powder from Fijian indian dairies for $5/100g. They are all over Auckland.

@shakas - I don't recall ever getting a sick stomach from dirty water. The main worry in Vanuatu, especially with chewed kava, are hepatitis and some other nasty diseases that can pass in saliva or blood traces from gums. Some people take their own shells to nakamals to make sure they are washed, I never bothered. There are occasional Dept of Health campaigns to try to stop the enthuisiastic spraying of spit after a shell, and to get nakamals to wwash the shells in running water, not just dunk them in dirty sink water for 2 seconds between uses.
Pentecost is famous for Borugu kava, always easy to drink, but I think that is true of fresh kava in general if prepared well - not really anything to do with stone grinding. When it ahs been pulled out of the ground that day rather than having spent 2 weeks in a bag between ship and dealer it always tastes great.
I never heard of kidney stones from anyone.
There is a huge contrast between fresh and dry powdered kava IMO. I guess it was traditionally dried in Polynesia and Fiji to preserve it, as once harvested it goes bad quickly. You can preserve it fresh in damp sand with a tarp over but I guess it was easier for them to just dry it. With a well made fresh mix you can make it strong enough to get an immediate hit, a sideways step into the evening world of the nakamal scene, and then drink every 20 minutes or so to sustain it. With dry powder it always has a certain dry taste which takes getting used to when you normally drink fresh. It is also harder to mix strong, and I am sure potency is lost in the drying process. When I drink powder, as I do most of the time now, the feeling is more of a gradual onset as I work my way through the bowl, rather than the hit you get from well made fresh stuff.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
@ Steve - thanks, I have always enjoyed talking about kava as well as drinking. I had no idea that there were forums like this so great to have found it.
With the dry kava, I have never really tried any of the branded products. I generally buy large amounts (5-10kg) when passing through Auckland straight from a Fijian indian and it comes in paper bags. Once a year or so I get to Tonga or Samoa and stock up there from the market. The only "brand" I did use for a while was Mahevu Farm, a man that has a farm in Fiji but operates out of NZ selling kava and noni juice. That was good quality and he was the only person who would post to me in Laos when I was there a few years. Once years ago there was a factory set up in Vanuatu to extract kava lactones, with the finished product being a 30m bottle of liquid concentrate. I tried some and just 5 drops in a shell with water was like 1 shell, but there was some in-fighting in the business and it closed down before they get started unfortunately. I wonder if anyone is doing this now.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
@ Steve - thanks, I have always enjoyed talking about kava as well as drinking. I had no idea that there were forums like this so great to have found it.
With the dry kava, I have never really tried any of the branded products. I generally buy large amounts (5-10kg) when passing through Auckland straight from a Fijian indian and it comes in paper bags. Once a year or so I get to Tonga or Samoa and stock up there from the market. The only "brand" I did use for a while was Mahevu Farm, a man that has a farm in Fiji but operates out of NZ selling kava and noni juice. That was good quality and he was the only person who would post to me in Laos when I was there a few years. Once years ago there was a factory set up in Vanuatu to extract kava lactones, with the finished product being a 30m bottle of liquid concentrate. I tried some and just 5 drops in a shell with water was like 1 shell, but there was some in-fighting in the business and it closed down before they get started unfortunately. I wonder if anyone is doing this now.
If I send you some small bags of various things, would you be willing to mix them up and post your thoughts? I'll send you a "flight" of kava. How much would you want per type, presuming that you'd be up for it, to adequately get a sense of it?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Nabanga, welcome to the kava forums. I loved your story, it reminded me of the good old days when we did not have to worry about the Tudei kava. I grow kava here in Hawaii and I agree the fresh root is the best. Please give us some more stories, as you can see we all love to read kava stories. Aloha from Hawaii.

Chris

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
If I send you some small bags of various things, would you be willing to mix them up and post your thoughts? I'll send you a "flight" of kava. How much would you want per type, presuming that you'd be up for it, to adequately get a sense of it?
Yes absolutely, that would be great. It would be nice to find a portable product that has a good strong effect. I always get a little nervous carrying several kilos of brown kava powder into Laos where I am based when not working elsewhere, so a concentrated product would be great. I'll send you an address

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the Kava Forums @nabanga. I loved your story and I was licking my chops when you described the potency of the fresh kava. :hungry: I also laughed when you said there were 2 rules: Low or no talking and no women. Heh, heh, heh. I'll just let that one lie there without furthur comment. :LOL: On the other hand, a big shout out to all the lovely women who post on this forum and I want to say that we are very happy and lucky to have them. :D

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
@nabanga although different powders can have different strengths, in your opinion, how many tablespoons of dry kava would equate to the strength/experience of the average fresh nakamal kava in vanuatu ?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
@nabanga although different powders can have different strengths, in your opinion, how many tablespoons of dry kava would equate to the strength/experience of the average fresh nakamal kava in vanuatu ?
I normally use either a 100g bag per litre, or if using tablespoons from a bigger bag, about 8 heaped tablespoons per litre. If the powder is good, and massaged well for 5-10 minutes this can make a strength similar to an average Port Vila nakamal (fresh kava) strength.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Nabanga, your recollections are fascinating. Have you ever tried the Vanuatu instant kava made from fresh juice? It is sold by the Vanuatu Kava Store (also called Quick Kava). It is pale green when mixed and has a mild herbal taste.

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Nabanga, your recollections are fascinating. Have you ever tried the Vanuatu instant kava made from fresh juice? It is sold by the Vanuatu Kava Store (also called Quick Kava). It is pale green when mixed and has a mild herbal taste.
Hi Crunked, no I haven't tried any of the Kava store products, except their standard 500g bags of kava powder of course. I like the Kava Store - the man who started it over 20 years ago, Charles Longwah, died recently, but he was promoting Vanuatu kava and other natural products years ahead of everyone else, from the early 90's I think.
I'd like to try the one you mention though - made from fresh juice - sounds very wholesome!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I find it difficult to get fresh kava strength kava from dried powder without making the whole think terribly disgusting. It's much easier to achieve this with micronized or instant kava. You can get more kavalactones per ml while still having a relatively smooth beverage.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Henry have you tried VKS Quick Kava? I think Just Pacific Trading sell it as Instant. As stated, it is green in powdered form and when mixed.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Henry have you tried VKS Quick Kava? I think Just Pacific Trading sell it as Instant. As stated, it is green in powdered form and when mixed.
I have tried it and wasn't too impressed. It was similar to BKH's instant. Both are smooth and easy to drink but not very potent, in my view.They are good for kava cocktails and perhaps a kind of "fresh(ish) experience", but it's difficult to get fresh-kava strength brews with these instants, IMO.

The only instant kava that I found absolutely mind-blowing is the one produced by Chris. I think there are two reasons why his instants are so much stronger:
1. He uses better plants and more lateral roots (if I am correct)
2. His production method that involves much more than just "drying kava juice".