What's new

2024 Metabolism Lab Test Results (Liver & Cholesterol Test)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
2024 Metabolism Lab Test Results

Consumption Pattern: 40g of medium grind kava prepared traditionally and consumed every night for the last 19 years.

Metabolism Test Results:

Explanation:

1. BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen): The value is 8 mg/dL, which is within normal limits.
  2. CREAT (Creatinine): The value is 0.73 mg/dL, also within normal limits.
  3. NA (Sodium): The level is 140 mmol/L, which is within the normal range.
  4. K (Potassium): The level is 4.4 mmol/L, which is within normal limits.
  5. CL (Chloride): The value is 101 mmol/L, which is within normal limits.
  6. CO2 (Bicarbonate): The level is 28 mmol/L, within the normal range.
  7. TPROT (Total Protein): The value is 7.7 g/dL, which is within normal limits.
  8. ALB (Albumin): The level is 4.8 g/dL, within normal limits.
  9. A/G Ratio (Albumin/Globulin Ratio): At 1.7, this is within the normal range.
  10. CA (Calcium): The value is 10.0 mg/dL, which is within normal limits.
  11. T.BILI (Total Bilirubin): The value is 0.3 mg/dL, within normal limits.
  12. ALP (Alkaline Phosphatase): The level is 143 IU/L, which is marked as abnormal (abn). It’s about 30 points over the high end.
  13. AST (Aspartate Aminotransferase): The value is 25 IU/L, which is within normal limits.
  14. ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase): The level is 16 IU/L, within the normal range.
  15. eGFR (estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate): The value is >= 60 mL/min/1.73m², indicating that the kidney function is within the normal range.
The ALP is the only value marked as abnormal. In this scenario, where the elevation is isolated and stable over a prolonged period (3 years), and no other abnormalities are present, it’s considered a benign finding for my results. It's not uncommon for some people to have lab values that fall outside the "normal" range that are normal for them. More good news is that none of the other indicators are out of range that would suggest an issue with my liver.

Now, I know what the next question will be. “What about your cholesterol?” well, while kava has no negative impact on the liver, it very well may have an impact on LDL cholesterol tests. On my next test I will be abstaining for a few days prior to see if this is any lower.

My doctor’s advice:

Not sure I’m really happy with the “....yet” phrase tacked on at the end there, lol.

TL/DR: My liver and kidneys are fine, my ALP was elevated but has been for years with no other indicators of issue. My cholesterol levels (LDL) were indeed high, and I will be abstaining from kava for a few days prior to my next test.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The Price labs look great! It will be fun to see what happens next year to the LDL score.
I had a whole process planned out that I indeed completely forgot. I was going to take plant sterols to see if they might help the LDL levels, but yay me. I'm surprised I remember where I work in the mornings.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Just had mine done with very similar results to you, after 30 years of drinking kava most nights. I drank a fair bit of kava the night before the tests, about 100g in 2 liters. For liver, AST and ALT low at 16 & 14 respectively (the guide is under 50), but ALP outside the upper limit at 131 (upper guide 120).
Cholesterol LDL, triglyceride and total cholesterol were all higher than the upper limit (205, 162, 275respectively), but I do not eat much fat or foods typically associated with cholesterol, so wonder if kava does play a part? Have you come across any studies on this - it would be interesting to know more.