What's new

2nd, 3rd washes, ect...

Abbas

Kava Curious
when people talk about 2nd and third washes are they referring to reusing the same root that they had already used?

Abbas

Kava Curious
Yes, that's what that means.
Awesome man thanks. I know it seems pretty obvious, but I had to make sure.
How do you typically go about the second and third washes. For example; how much root do you start of with and how much water when you do your first was, when you start the second wash do you add more dry root, and how much water do you add to the second wash?

D

Deleted User01

Ok, when I make traditional Kava, I use about .75 cup of kava to about 20 oz of liquid to yield a 16oz lock tap bottle of joy juice. Once I bottle that, I add about 10oz of liquid to the exisiting strainer, and go at it with gusto. By the time I'm finished, all I have is a small ball of prickly kava fibers because I got all the good stuff out. So I reward myself with at least a cup of the second wash. I put the rest in the fridge because I think chilled kava tastes better than warm kava. I also mix coconut water with regular water. However, since kneading a process, I usually just do some GHK micronized in water and be done with it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Awesome man thanks. I know it seems pretty obvious, but I had to make sure.
How do you typically go about the second and third washes. For example; how much root do you start of with and how much water when you do your first was, when you start the second wash do you add more dry root, and how much water do you add to the second wash?
What I do is the following one of the following:

Method 1: Using doubled up knee high stockings:
  • 1st wash:
    • Place one stocking inside the other. Wet the stockings.
    • Put 1/2 cup of medium grind root in the "toe" of the stockings
    • Place 4 cups of hot (140 F) water in a bowl
    • Wear vinyl or nitrile gloves to protect my hands from the hot water and the kava.
    • Knead the root in the stocking under water for 5-10 minutes.
    • Pour the grog out of the bowl into a serving container. (My serving container is just a plastic pitcher like for iced tea, etc.)
  • 2nd wash:
    • Place 2 cups of hot (140 F) water in the bowl
    • Knead the stocking under water for ~3-5 minutes (don't add any more root)
    • Pour the second wash from the bowl into the same serving container, stir serving container to mix.
    • Dispose of the material (the "makas") remaining in the stockings.

Method 2: Single Stocking and 80 micron filter bag:
Lately, though, I have been using an alternate method, which I think is more efficient:

• Step 1:
    • Put 1/2 cup of medium grind root in the toe of a single wet stocking
    • Wear gloves
    • Pour the grog from the bowl through an 80 micron nylon filter bag, such as the ones from Cactus Kava, into the serving container.
  • Step 2:
    • There will be some material left inside the 80 micron filter bag.
    • Add 2 cups of hot water to the bowl.
    • Knead the 80 micron filter bag in the hot water for ~3 minutes.
    • Pour the contents of the bowl into the serving container; stir serving container to mix.
    • Dispose of the remaining contents of the 80 micron bag, and the contents of the stocking.
Method 3: The "Lazy" Method:
  • Use an AluBall

Last edited:

Abbas

Kava Curious
What @verticity said. (y)

I found this video particularly helpful as far as methodology goes. @GHK keeps it simple here.
Thanks. Not too difficult
What I do is the following one of the following:

Method 1: Using doubled up knee high stockings:
  • 1st wash:
    • Place one stocking inside the other. Wet the stockings.
    • Put 1/2 cup of medium grind root in the "toe" of the stockings
    • Wear vinyl or nitrile gloves to protect my hands from the hot water and the kava.
    • Pour the grog out of the bowl into a serving container. (My serving container is just a plastic pitcher like for iced tea, etc.)
  • 2nd wash:
    • Place 2 cups of hot (140 F) water in the bowl
    • Knead the stocking under water for ~3-5 minutes (don't add any more root)
    • Pour the second wash from the bowl into the same serving container, stir serving container to mix.
    • Dispose of the material (the "makas") remaining in the stockings.

Method 2: Single Stocking and 80 micron filter bag:
Lately, though, I have been using an alternate method, which I think is more efficient:

• Step 1:
    • Put 1/2 cup of medium grind root in the toe of a single wet stocking
    • Wear gloves
    • Pour the grog from the bowl through an 80 micron nylon filter bag, such as the ones from Cactus Kava, into the serving container.
  • Step 2:
    • There will be some material left inside the 80 micron filter bag.
    • Add 2 cups of hot water to the bowl.
    • Knead the 80 micron filter bag in the hot water for ~3 minutes.
    • Pour the contents of the bowl into the serving container; stir serving container to mix.
    • Dispose of the remaining contents of the 80 micron bag, and the contents of the stocking.
Method 3: The "Lazy" Method:
  • Use an AluBall
Thanks for the amazing help. That's awesome. Method 3 sounds like the method I'll eventually end up with in a month or two lol