What's new

3 strikes, I'm out (and sad)

Dan More

Kava Curious
I have come to the sad conclusion that I can't tolerate Kava. I've gotten the dreaded puffy face, itchy rash 3 times now. The first time was pretty severe but I thought it might be due to my mixing in a couple beers that day. The second time was terrible! I had a fever, raised blotches on my upper torso, puffy red face and incredibly itchy. This happened with a new to me variety of Kava so I had to cautiously try one more time to be sure. Yesterday a did a weak alu-ball wash of 1 tsp. (5 gms) of a kava I tolerated well at the beginning. A few hours later I had a red puffy face and itchy scalp. Luckily a couple Benadryl knocked it out overnight. Anyway, I have to be done with kava. I've listed my stash and accessories over at the marketplace on this site for a what I think is a good deal. Check it out. Wish I could hang with you guys but it's not in the cards.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Wow. That is strange. My wife gets slightly swollen lips when she drinks it but it must be a rare allergy...

kavayo

Kava Enthusiast
I firmly believe this is due to alcohol mixing with kava. If I drink alcohol within 72 hours of kava or before I get this reaction. When I started drinking alcohol again after a few months break the same reactions you're describing began to occur. If I cease alcohol for a few weeks, this goes away. I have been taking Milk Thistle daily for the last two weeks and tomorrow will be my last alcoholic beverage for a while before I open the bar. I will try kava again in two weeks and let you know if I can tolerate it. I also have a friend who drinks booze a few nights a week and gets the same reaction. I can't say for sure for you, but for me, it is 100% related to the frequency of alcohol consumption.

Dan More

Kava Curious
Interesting. I had not had any alcohol for the previous 3 days when I had the last reaction. Also, there was a previous discussion from a poster who had a similar reaction but he had been completely abstaining from booze for months. I'm not discounting your theory though because I've been a fairly heavy drinker for many years. That was part of the appeal of Kava, to try and get some stress release without the poison of binge drinking. I'm currently doing a dry January so maybe I'll try a tiny amount of kava again after the month is over. Let me know how your experiment goes and I'll do the same.

Vladimir Lemon

Kava Curious
I think some people may just be allergenic to kava unfortunately. My roommate tried some of my kava one day and he experienced what would best be described as a moderate allergic reaction. He had a small amount of trouble breathing and his mouth hurt a bit. He doesn't drink alcohol, so that can be ruled out.

ImDirtyDan

Kava Curious
I know about the fever experience. I had a decent amount left but no time to prepare it, so I packed a ton of gel caps with the stuff and tossed them back. Not sure if it's purely coincidental, but that night I felt immeasurable nausea and for the next couple weeks I had a fever that was followed by killer bronchitis.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I know about the fever experience. I had a decent amount left but no time to prepare it, so I packed a ton of gel caps with the stuff and tossed them back. Not sure if it's purely coincidental, but that night I felt immeasurable nausea and for the next couple weeks I had a fever that was followed by killer bronchitis.
I think it's safe to say that your couple weeks of bronchitis was a coincidence or even the cause of the fever itself..? At least based on the small amount of info given

Spellwriter

Kava Curious
I had/have this problem, and it's definitely not alcohol related for me as I don't drink at all.

I made a post about this a few weeks ago. I have been able to drink kava provided I take certain precautions. For what it's worth, brand/type has a huge effect on reaction for me. Feel free to PM me if you have questions!