What's new

A cautionary tale: pay attention to things that could alter how you react to Kava, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
This post is not meant to reflect poorly upon the quality of Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's products in any way, shape, or form. I take full responsibility for the events I'm going to describe here, and have never had a similar experience with any of GHK's Kava, including Mo'i; all others have been lovely.
Backstory:
Last tuesday, I consumed 8 tablespoons of GHK Mo'i prepped traditional style in 16 oz of water for 30 minutes. It went great, drank it while I watched the sun set from a bridge and biked home as it crept up on me as Mo'i typicall does, and it was definitely among the best Kava experiences I've ever had. Yesterday, I decided to drink the same amount in the same circumstances, plus another 8oz prepped for 15 minutes with the same Kava after the main wash. I figured it would be like the previous time, but a little more intense. It was not.
The first time, I remember being able to really lock in with the music that I was listening to on the way home - this time around I ended up not really feeling like listening to anything in particular, and if anything, just felt kind of sedated and a little nauseous. As I continued home, the nausea worsened, and as I made dinner I developed an awful headache that wouldn't end until the next morning. But after making dinner, I sat down and tried watching a movie I'd just heard of (admittedly not the best idea when you're nursing a headache) and hoped the migraine pill I just took (don't worry, I know for a fact from research and experience that negative reactions don't occur when I combine it with Kava) would deal with the headache. It didn't. Something like half an hour into the movie, I found myself so consumed by the nausea and the headache that I couldn't manage to eat or watch the movie anymore. I put the food in the fridge and hopped in the shower, hoping the hot water would relieve muscle tension above my shoulders that's typical of migraines; it felt alright, but I still spent most of the shower bent over against the wall wondering if I was going to vomit or if this headache could get worse. After the shower, I stumbled over to my bed and, when the headache had toned down enough to allow it, cycled between passing out and waking up until around 12:30AM, at which point I brushed my teeth and flopped back down in bed, having significant trouble sleeping from that point on.
Here's what I think might have gone on, though I'm not sure and open to suggestions, as I'd really like to understand what I could have paid attention to better in order to avoid this: my allergies start to get to me every time the weather starts changing, and it's finally getting kind of chilly down here in Florida. That, and I also ran out of Zyrtec recently, which I take daily when I have it; there could have been some chemical abnormalities resulting from the sudden lack of zyrtec in my system that the Kava didn't interact with well. I haven't been feeling like my allergies are really kicking in yet, but I did notice a weird amount of mucus in my throat shortly following the Kava.
Again, I don't think this is a result of any kind of lack of quality in the Kava. I'm just trying to figure out what variables in my own body resulted in this, and whether or not I could have known that they were what they were and avoided this whole ordeal.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
This might not have anything to do with drinking kava. Nausea is a pretty common symptom associated with migraines. What kind of migraine medication did you take?

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
This might not have anything to do with drinking kava. Nausea is a pretty common symptom associated with migraines. What kind of migraine medication did you take?
Nausea usually doesn't set in prior to (or during, even) my migraines, but I took sumatriptan. Sumatriptan has made me nauseous before, especially on an empty stomach, but it hasn't done that in years at this point. Not that it couldn't have accelerated other prior nausea, but still, I've taken it in conjunction with Kava before with no issues.

Last edited:

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I can't imagine this had anything to do with the kava.

One thing -- is it possible you were in any way dehydrated? Kava is a diuretic, and if you were somewhat dehydrated before
hand, and did not drink enough water whilst drinking the kava, you could have made the dehydration worse, which can lead
to headache and nausea.

Other than that, it almost sounds like food poisoning. Did you eat anything before consuming the kava?

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I can't imagine this had anything to do with the kava.

One thing -- is it possible you were in any way dehydrated? Kava is a diuretic, and if you were somewhat dehydrated before
hand, and did not drink enough water whilst drinking the kava, you could have made the dehydration worse, which can lead
to headache and nausea.

Other than that, it almost sounds like food poisoning. Did you eat anything before consuming the kava?
Dehydration seems like the most likely culprit. I hadn't consumed a whole lot of water recently and drank none until I got back home. I hadn't eaten anything recently - ate a banana five hours beforehand, and the last thing before that was eaten around 8:00 that morning.
But yeah, it seems like dehydration was probably the biggest outside factor that could have contributed.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
8 tablespoons of kava I think will dehydrate you and if that triggers your migraines that makes sense.. the nausea is just from drinking too much kava

The first time you really drank only half that serving... the second time you drank 2 washes which is more like the whole 8 tablespoons. Which is clearly to high for you.

Next time use only 4 tablespoons and do 3 or 4 washes until it's all clear.
Then you can really know your dose and have a more consistent experience
If you keep using 8 tablespoons then some days when your strong you'll get krunk and days your lazy you'll feel good lol!

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
8 tablespoons of kava I think will dehydrate you and if that triggers your migraines that makes sense.. the nausea is just from drinking too much kava

The first time you really drank only half that serving... the second time you drank 2 washes which is more like the whole 8 tablespoons. Which is clearly to high for you.

Next time use only 4 tablespoons and do 3 or 4 washes until it's all clear.
Then you can really know your dose and have a more consistent experience
If you keep using 8 tablespoons then some days when your strong you'll get krunk and days your lazy you'll feel good lol!
Gotcha. I think I ended up using eight tablespoons because I did the same one-thirty-minute-wash strategy with four initially, and Mo'i is not a potent cultivar for me (from what I can tell, anyway) so I doubled the dosage and got better results with what, unbeknownst to me, actually amounted to the KL from all of about four tablespoons worth. I guess I was underestimating the power of multiple washes - I'd been going on the assumption that one wash for x minutes in y amount of water was the same as two washes, each respectively x/2 minutes in y/2 amount of water. So I figured eight tablespoons is eight tablespoons is eight tablespoons. We'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.