What's new

A couple of quick questions from a newbie

Peebles

Hi all,

What a fantastic resource this forum has been already--thank you!

I'm new to Kava and have two quick questions. First, will drinking larger amounts of Kava during my sessions help me breakthrough RT faster? I'm assuming nauseua is the only concerning, but I tend to have an iron stomach.

Second, will consuming kava multiple times in a day reduce its effectiveness during later sessions? Or should I expect the same experience regardless of when I last had a session?

Thank you,

- P

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
1.) Drinking larger amount will definitely get you through the reverse tolerance stage more quickly.
2.) It will actually increase it's effectiveness. Kava's reverse tolerance works both ways. The more you drink it, the more effective it becomes :)

3.) Glad to have you with us! Welcome to kavaforums

verticity

I'm interested in things
To add to what Kapm said, consuming kava early in the day seems to "prime" your system (probably by building up a baseline of active ingredients), so that subsequent kava drinking on that day requires less to have a potent effect.

And, of course, to minimize nausea, strain your kava well.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Peebles My friend, you are VERY lucky. I've been drinking kava for 10 years daily and have yet to acquire a taste for it.

Peebles

Well, turns out I was a bit wrong about my iron stomach. I had 8 tbsp over the course of 90 minutes or so tonight. Felt quite sedated and a little relaxed initially, but eventually couldn't walk straight and ended up feeling nauseous. I still feel that way a couple hours later.. guess I need to cut back a bit!

RBBR

I was having big time problems with nausea in the beginning. (I also thought I had a cast iron stomach!) I generally keep some fresh ginger in the refrigerator crisper now and chew a piece about the size of a pencil eraser after each shell. Works very well.

D

Deleted User01

@Peebles, welcome to the forum! ::awesomesmiles:: Looks like you overcame Reverse Tolerance on the first day with Brute Strength. I would only remind you that doing kava in the morning is like having a few beers in the morning. It's going to wear you down in the afternoon unless you do more.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Deleted User01 I find it interesting and very normal that people who first start (and love) kava end up drinking it at night and in the morning. Slowly it seems like they dial it back after they get a few months under their belts. I was definitely one of them. I drank Stone at night, and toss-n-wash Wow! kava in the mornings. I was a lizard, and barely conscious during the first few hours of the morning, lol. After a while it seems like kava regulates itself which I found to be astounding.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, so you are saying if you really get to work on it and attack the kava both morning and day, you will eventually get used to it and not pass out after lunch. :yawn: I'll take your word for it. :D But ... did the Islanders do that? I hate to be in a canoe in shark infested waters and lose my balance because I had a few shells of "good stuff" for breakfast. :LOL: I will say this, the last time I asked someone why they drank kava in the morning and during the day they simply answered, "I have to Jman". Nuff said.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh I never got used to that morning kava, which is why I dialed it back to Nights only. Something about having to walk around with only one eye open at work lost it's attractiveness at some point.

D

Deleted User01

Ok,Kapm', that's what I thought too. Perhaps on a rainy weekend you might get away with it. Just let someone else drive. I remember when I used to make a big batch of Grog on Sunday mornings. Like at 6am while sipping coffee. At the end, I would make a second wash and horse that down like at 7am (before eating breakfast). I'd go up to the computer room to knock out a few things and listen to some Sunday Smooth Jazz and I felt really cool till about 10am. :cool: It was like a mild hangover. And I still had a buttload of
chores to do. :eek:

Peebles

I'm definitely an evening / afternoon only guy. I got coffee for the AM :)
Just got some 11 year micro. 4 tbsp later and I barely feel anything--guess I'm not through RT after all :(.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
@Deleted User01 I find it interesting and very normal that people who first start (and love) kava end up drinking it at night and in the morning. Slowly it seems like they dial it back after they get a few months under their belts. I was definitely one of them. I drank Stone at night, and toss-n-wash Wow! kava in the mornings. I was a lizard, and barely conscious during the first few hours of the morning, lol. After a while it seems like kava regulates itself which I found to be astounding.
I was thinking about this today. Well said.
I took the brute force approach to rt as well, got through it rather quickly. But I quickly found, post RT, that I was drinking ALOT of strong kava. I'm working on finding the right dosage, but have dialed it way back. My skin has been getting rather dry too.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
i was actually just thinking of having some 11 year waka this afternoon since it is such a stimulating variety. i had some at work yesterday and it was very helpful; gave me energy and super positivityness. yup i'm sold. 1 tbs 11 year micro here i come!