What's new

A water based kava pill

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
believing kava to be a decoction requires a suspension, of disbelief if nothing else

it's just really expensive capsules of instant, right? Fair enough, I guess, as long as people are aware and cool they might be paying a lot for a very small amount of instant.

verticity

I'm interested in things
This appears to be a prescription extract pill for the Australian market, trying to break into the US market by selling to herbal practitioners rather than directly to consumers.... Good luck to them, but it seems unlikely to catch on with all the OTC options here...

Water extraction of kava is possible, and the product is probably fine. There's a method called sub-critical water extraction which uses water at high temperature, enclosed at a high pressure to prevent the water from turning into steam:

See: Comparison of subcritical water and organic solvents for extracting kava lactones from kava root

Kerry Bone was the editor of "The Essential Guide to Herbal Safety," which has a good chapter by Dr. Schmidt on kava...

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
This appears to be a prescription extract pill for the Australian market, trying to break into the US market by selling to herbal practitioners rather than directly to consumers.... Good luck to them, but it seems unlikely to catch on with all the OTC options here...

Water extraction of kava is possible, and the product is probably fine. There's a method called sub-critical water extraction which uses water at high temperature, enclosed at a high pressure to prevent the water from turning into steam:

See: Comparison of subcritical water and organic solvents for extracting kava lactones from kava root

Kerry Bone was the editor of "The Essential Guide to Herbal Safety," which has a good chapter by Dr. Schmidt on kava...
Interesting method. Of course that ignores and may invalidate the reasoning of "water extraction is safe". Everyone parrots that line assuming traditional water extraction methods. You do something like that method and in my mind you now have to show why you only extracted the same constituents that a traditional method does (in order to still claim the safety moniker) or you don't extract other stuff that is the claim against ethanol extractions.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Interesting method. Of course that ignores and may invalidate the reasoning of "water extraction is safe". Everyone parrots that line assuming traditional water extraction methods. You do something like that method and in my mind you now have to show why you only extracted the same constituents that a traditional method does (in order to still claim the safety moniker) or you don't extract other stuff that is the claim against ethanol extractions.
I agree. The product is probably OK; obviously I've never tried it, and sadly this kind of thing by prescription is still (as far as I know) the only option in Australia (aside from the 2 kg or so you are allowed to bring in for personal use...). But in the US we have the IMO far superior and time-tested option of purchasing and preparing root powder in the traditional way so I'm afraid the only market for this here would be people who don't know any better...

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Patient compliance is the point as well.
This was in the American herbalist guild journal.
I assume it is inferior as I think all non traditional prep is