What's new

Aflatoxins are no Joke

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I love BKH kava but I want to make sure the kava I drink is safe. Anyone know if they test there product for aflatoxins and flavokawain B? If not is there something I can get personally to test for these things?
I was browsing through the wonderful nighttime forum and came across this person asking a simple question concerning their general well being in regards to what vendors do to ensure safe Kava, and the person was kind of made light of and I noticed they have not been on the forum since.

I was surprised because most here are always willing to help rather than make light of others concerns.

After researching a bit on this I think the question a good one. I for one would rather pay more for kava uncontaminated by aflatoxins.
I was always aware of just how harmful aflatoxins can be but was unaware that kava especially grown in humid conditions is quite susceptible to it.

Aflatoxins are naturally occurring mycotoxins that are produced by Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus, species of fungi. The name was created around 1960 after the discovery that the source of turkey X disease was Aspergillus flavus toxins.[1] Aflatoxins are toxic and among the most carcinogenic substances known.[2]

To be on the side of caution and to ensure lack of liver injury, kava consuming inhabitants of the kava producing or importing South Pacific islands should undergo assessment of their liver function values and serum aflatoxin levels. The primary aim is to achieve a good quality of kava raw material, without the risk of adulterants and impurities including ochratoxin A and AFs, which represent the sum of aflatoxin B1, B2, G1 and G2.

If there are vendors here that ensure uncontaminated kava I would appreciate the feedback.

Best to everyone here,
Noueky

Last edited:

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
"I was always aware of just how harmful aflatoxins can be but was unaware that kava especially grown in humid conditions is quite susceptible to it."

The problem is that all kava is grown in humid conditions! So I guess all kava is susceptible - I think the treatment and storage after harvesting is crucial though. The owner of Noble Kava sometimes posts on this topic.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, this is a big problem and that is one of the reasons that I started to sell my kava worldwide.
It is very important to make sure you get good quality kava from a good source.
I control everything in my company. I harvest only a little at a time so I do not store a lot of processed kava, this ensures that the kava is fresh and there is no aflatoxins. For the final cleaning of my root before I dry it I will wash it with a solution of H2O2, this will not harm the kava and it is safe, it will evaporate off and not be a problem. From there I will dry it in a temperature controlled solar kiln, this drys the kava in the best way possible, not too much heat but enough to dry it and keep the mold and fungus from growing.

Keep in mind that when they say that it is because of the kava grown in the high humidity areas, it is not that it grows in these areas but more that it is still in this environment after the kava is dried. After it is dry if you do not vacuum seal it then what happens is the kava will reach the equilibrium moisture content of the air in that area, it is this moisture that will allow the mold and fungus to grow, you can actually smell it, the mold and fungus that attacks the kava will make the kava smell a certain way, it is a noticeable smell and it is not a good smell, it is different than the fresh clean kava smell. If you have ever had a bag of kava and did not get to it for a few months then smell it, it might smell different than when you got it.

Also when you are talking about safety and the flavokawain B, then you have to absolutely make sure of the kava that you get. Again since I grow only noble kava then I can guarantee the quality.
Since I live in the USA it is a bit easier for me to control the quality but in other places they might not have the facilities to do it properly, and that is why I am picky about the kava that I import, if I do not grow it myself then I have to know the person selling me the kava and I have to know how is operation is. The person I deal with in Vanuatu is a class act, they have the best facility in Vanuatu, they do all there processing in the right way and they also vacuum seal it when it is dry. When I get a shipment of kava I still smell it and taste it and if I have to I will pay to have it tested via HPLC and also tested for the molds and fungus, this will ensure that there is no mold or fungus and the HPLC test ensures that it is noble kava.
There are no home tests that I know of that will test for these things. Remember that it is hard sometimes to know who you get your kava from, it is important to be open to the public so that they can see you do grow and process it in a good way. If you have a kava company that does not do this or does not know certain things then you run the risk of getting kava that you do not know about and the quality might be in question.
This is the main reason that I started my kava website. I want to make available kava that is known to be good. That way you do not have to worry about these things, anyone is more than welcome to see my operation if they want and I always guarantee the highest quality standards, I am known in the Hawaiian kava community for doing this.
I have well known experts that have respect for the way I grow and process kava. I do not sell in bulk to other companies although they have contacted me wanting my product, I can't control the product if someone else sells it so I sell it directly to you folks, the consumer. I want everyone to know my high standards and I would like to be a roll model for other kava companies, they need to take these steps too. Please let me know if any of you have any questions about this, aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

ApéroNoble

Researching this a bit in my spare time, here is a little more info. on aflatoxins

WHAT ARE AFLATOXINS AND WHY ARE THEY DANGEROUS?
Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring highly carcinogenic toxic sub-stance, produced in minute quantities, that permeates ground-nuts, maize, and other crops.1 They are produced by various spe-cies of Aspergillus fungi, which live in the soil and are prevalent in many parts of the world, including the southern United States, eastern Europe, and many developing countries.
Agricultural produce is prone to aflatoxin contamination, particu-larly during crop growth periods, harvesting, threshing, and dry-ing. Contamination can also occur when grains are in storage; this can be caused by pest infestation or poor storage conditions that lead to accelerated growth rates of Aspergillus fungi.
You cannot see, smell, feel, or taste aflatoxin in grains; laboratory testing is required to detect its presence. The best way to avoid aflatoxin is to avoid groundnuts suspected to be contaminated or test them before using.

ApéroNoble

Just a little info for any new members here not familiar with Bula Kava House and our products, as some other vendors look to be getting a little chippy and competitive. We offer more certified and tested Noble Kava varieties than any other vendor out there. We offer them at 20% to 75% less expensive than all the rest as well. We also offer a "special occasion" kava for those days and nights you're looking to go big. How's the quality you ask? Look no further than the many reviews here and on the Kavasseur Forum. Enjoy!
I moved this here as I believe you may be referring to the answering of my question and I don't think it fair for someone trying to bring light upon an issue to get caught up because they are trying to be helpful.

One question in regards to "We offer more certified and tested Noble Kava varieties than any other vendor out there",
what are the certified test in regards to?

Thanks and it is appreciated by myself at least that you guys take the time to share with us about your product here in this knowledgeable but friendly forum, which by the way is I think a brilliantly done site for advancement in kava and things related to it through learning/sharing with one another.

All the best

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I would be interested to see a list of all the different varieties that BHK has. I would love to try them all, I love kava.
I have 15 Hawaiian varieties and 5 from the south pacific area.. Thanks and aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

Nils

Kava Curious
. Although there is limited similarity between acute kava hepatotoxicity and acute aflatoxicosis, and background levels of aflatoxin have been detected in kava samples, unless epidemiological investigations can uncover direct evidence implicating mould hepatotoxins, it remains more likely that chemical constituents of kava are the cause of the hepatotoxicity from kava.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22319018

So the general belief is that its the kava that causes the hepatotoxicity...however, alfatoxins affect the liver for sure. Since the natives never have liver problems, I think that the incidents of hepatotoxicity in Europe and elsewhere was likely caused by alfatoxins! The natives are having fresh kava, while other people across the world are drinking older kava that could be contaminated.