What's new

Air Travel with Kava

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I live on the East Coast of the U.S. and will be visiting Australia in April. We will not be traveling through any other countries. I have a bad back and I am dreading the long flights. I'm also a light sleeper and one of those people who typically can't sleep in a car or on a plane, etc. Assuming things go well with my kava experimentation in the next couple of weeks, I am wondering about using kava to relax and possibly get some sleep or even just some comfortable rest on the plane. I normally order a glass of wine or two, but that is not very effective other than making me drowsy enough to fall asleep for a few minutes.

I looked around at some older posts, but most of them were older and nothing quite answered my questions here, which are: 1) What can I bring with me on the plane? I'm assuming an open 2oz jar of instant isn't an option? What about an unopened bottle of extract, like KWK sells? Or those single serving packets that I got from Drink Root on amazon? Or is my best bet the candies? And 2) What about in my luggage? Can I bring just about anything I want?

I'm wondering what other folks' experiences have been with bringing kava along on a trip. Thanks!

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Could I bring an AluBall along with a small amount of root powder? I could keep the rest of the powder in my suitcase, and just bring enough in my carry-on for the flight. I could get water after I go through security or on the plane. The first flight will be fairly short (4-6 hrs), so that's not the issue. The second flight is the one I'm worried about (15-17 hrs). I know the effects won't last the whole flight, either, so it would be good to have some options.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Or another alternative is to get a muscle relaxant script from my doctor, and not fool with the kava. Then I'd have no security issues.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I believe the law in Australia is you are allowed to bring in up to 2 kg of medium grind for your personal use.

If it were me I would bring an AluBall, some candies, and the full 2 kg and if there was any left over I would give it to someone in Australia who loves kava but for whom it is a hardship to acquire.

I would probably bring a case of twelve packets of the candies and use those on the plane as needed.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I believe the law in Australia is you are allowed to bring in up to 2 kg of medium grind for your personal use.

If it were me I would bring an AluBall, some candies, and the full 2 kg and if there was any left over I would give it to someone in Australia who loves kava but for whom it is a hardship to acquire.

I would probably bring a case of twelve packets of the candies and use those on the plane as needed.
Thank you for your answer. I was hoping Australia was pretty cool about this stuff.
So are you thinking I should plan on using just the candies on the flights? Pack the AluBall and grind in my suitcase?
PS: I just ordered some of the candies from amazon today. Looking forward to trying them.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I’ve never tried kava on a flight, but imagine the aluball would be annoying to other passengers. If you bring more than the candy in your carry on, maybe do micro?
Yes, good point. I suppose I could go into the bathroom to shake it, if needed. I'm looking at a 17-hour flight, so I want to be prepared.
Do you think TSA would let me bring the micronized instant on the plane? @Kalm with Kava any experience with flying out of the U.S. with any of your products?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I travel with my nylon strainer and at least a pound of kava on my carry on, I've never made a batch on a plane but if worst came to worst I would simply toss and wash a few tbs.

I typically pre krunk before a flight. I am not fond of the whole ordeal.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I ordered some KWK concentrate yesterday. That would be the simplest solution for my traveling, although I don't know if they are very strong and if I could bring enough to last me the 17-hr flight. Maybe combined with capsules and candies? Hmm... I have one month before my trip. The experimenting continues!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
You can definitely carry on an unopened bag of micronized or instant kava and then mix it in little cups of water on the plane.
When I was on Fiji Airways their official rule was that you can't have kava, but they 100% did not check for kava, I 100% could have had kava and next time I 100% will have kava on board. When I left Vanuatu, they were literally selling kava powder at the airport stores in the departures area, for you to bring with you.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I can't speak for Australia specifically but I have flown multiple other locations with micronized in my carry on. I purposely left it in the same packaging as what it was delivered in with it clearly labeled as kava. No one even questioned it. Micronized is real simple to mix, or shake up on a plane if you carry a water bottle (empty when you get on). I have seen a lot of strange stuff on airplanes. Someone putting micro in a bottle and shaking it up is pretty low on the list of oddities. Most folks will think it is a protein drink.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
You can definitely carry on an unopened bag of micronized or instant kava and then mix it in little cups of water on the plane.
When I was on Fiji Airways their official rule was that you can't have kava, but they 100% did not check for kava, I 100% could have had kava and next time I 100% will have kava on board. When I left Vanuatu, they were literally selling kava powder at the airport stores in the departures area, for you to bring with you.
The thing is... even the smallest size of instant is pretty expensive. I'd need to buy one for each flight in order to have them unopened. This isn't really a huge deal, but it would be pretty cruddy if they confiscated it.
That being said, it won't stop me from trying!

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
I can't speak for Australia specifically but I have flown multiple other locations with micronized in my carry on. I purposely left it in the same packaging as what it was delivered in with it clearly labeled as kava. No one even questioned it. Micronized is real simple to mix, or shake up on a plane if you carry a water bottle (empty when you get on). I have seen a lot of strange stuff on airplanes. Someone putting micro in a bottle and shaking it up is pretty low on the list of oddities. Most folks will think it is a protein drink.
Was your package already opened? Like, I could possibly bring an opened bag of KWK Borogu and an AluBall and be okay?

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Im taking GHK instant Nene on a flight with me in a couple,of weeks. I Have these small round tubs that of a sandwich box white/translucent plastic that hold about 6 tsp.
Just the same size as the sort of crap in my wifes makeup bag. So one is going in there. and one in my bag.
Im writing on the screw down lid "kava Tea". Which should stop any hysteria if spotted.

Once through security i will get a bottle of juice and put 2 tsp in . And mix some in a cup during the flight if i want more.

Oh, i should say. Im buying kava once in florida, so this stuff is just for the flight and first day or so.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Im taking GHK instant Nene on a flight with me in a couple,of weeks. I Have these small round tubs that of a sandwich box white/translucent plastic that hold about 6 tsp.
Just the same size as the sort of crap in my wifes makeup bag. So one is going in there. and one in my bag.
Im writing on the screw down lid "kava Tea". Which should stop any hysteria if spotted.

Once through security i will get a bottle of juice and put 2 tsp in . And mix some in a cup during the flight if i want more.

Oh, i should say. Im buying kava once in florida, so this stuff is just for the flight and first day or so.
Hmm. You bring up a good point — is it likely I could easily purchase decent kava in Australia?

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Ok, thank you. I did a little more reading here and I see that the purchase of kava in Australia is heavily restricted. I was surprised by that, but I guess I don’t really know that much about the country. Lots to learn.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, good point. I suppose I could go into the bathroom to shake it, if needed. I'm looking at a 17-hour flight, so I want to be prepared.
Do you think TSA would let me bring the micronized instant on the plane? @Kalm with Kava any experience with flying out of the U.S. with any of your products?
But you'd have to bring a huge amount of water on the plane to mix it with, and aren't there liquid restrictions too ?