What's new

Air Travel with Kava

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
But you'd have to bring a huge amount of water on the plane to mix it with, and aren't there liquid restrictions too ?
Yes, but you can get water from the flight attendants. They expect folks need to keep hydrated on a long haul flight. And there's always the option of buying some bottled water once you get past security. I'm not worried about water being an issue.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Are you talking about bottled water ? Because I read a travel article that said never ever drink the non-bottled water on an airplane, or anything made from it, such as coffee. It is supposed to be the nastiest stuff around.
Probably true. You're better off filling up a bottle with tap water once you've passed through security.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Are you talking about bottled water ? Because I read a travel article that said never ever drink the non-bottled water on an airplane, or anything made from it, such as coffee. It is supposed to be the nastiest stuff around.
Yes, I've been reading that, too. I think I'm going to bring a water bottle that has a filter built in.
Or I might just buy a bunch of bottled water near the gate. Normally I'm so opposed to doing that, but I think it's the best solution.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yes, I've been reading that, too. I think I'm going to bring a water bottle that has a filter built in.
Or I might just buy a bunch of bottled water near the gate. Normally I'm so opposed to doing that, but I think it's the best solution.
Yup, I just bought the bottled water once I went through security. Expensive, but worth it. I have also been known to just walk up to any of the many bars and ask them to fill my canteen with water and toss them a tip.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Yikes! What’s wrong with the water?

There's quite a few reports and articles, advising people not to drink the water, or anything made from the water on a plane, such as coffee or tea.
Flight attendants say they would never do it.
Here's one of them

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/think-twice-ordering-coffee-tea-110101057.html

AsNBC 5 noted, the water for tea and coffee comes from the tap, not from a bottle, while in flight. And that water could be downright disgusting. According to a 2004 EPA sample of 158 planes, 13 percent contained coliform. Two of the airplanes were found to have dangerous E.coli in the water. And as Business Insider reported, an additional EPA study found that one in every eight planes fails the agency’s standards for water safety.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for all of your help. I hate to admit this, but I did not end up bringing kava on my trip. I chickened out. It seemed like too much trouble.

I decided to drink wine and then a bit later, take an all-natural sleep supplement (Dr. Price's Sleep Vites).

The first long flight (17.5 hrs), I ate dinner & had some wine, changed into sleeping clothes, took the supplement, and was feeling good and sleepy, but unfortunately, a rude passenger decided to laugh out loud to the movie she was watching for two hours, which kept jarring me awake just as I was falling asleep. After desperately trying to sleep for those couple of hours, the moment passed and I was not able to sleep again. The second long flight (13.5 hrs), coming home, was during the day, so it was pretty challenging to get any rest, even after a busy week of jet lag and sightseeing. I forgot to take the sleep vites and again relied on wine with lunch. No sleep. So I returned home with jet lag from a 14.5-hr time difference, plus the loss of two nights' sleep. I would do it all again for the chance to go there since it was wonderful, but next time I hope I'll have the kava thing down pat and can rely on that to get the rest I need.