What's new

News Article ALERT: Nasty Consumer Reports Article online now and in print Jan2023

hightides42

our Roots run deep
Article made me sick, didn't get to far into it as urged to get here ASAP so vendors and Countries making a living with kava can prep, investigate, initiate legal actions, etc etc.

sry if posted wrong space, Kap'n please move, edit, share, repost etc as you see fit. I've not been around much this past couple year, but do try peek in for catch-ups every month or so. Relocating, covid, internet access and devices, bunch of frustrating events, life iow, been taking it's toll...

Not sure if this is behind a paywall or not but I've got access to CR by online subscription if full article or related is necessary. I'll paste below the relevant part.

FWIW, biggest problem, as I see it and reason for my alarming Alert title, is the reputation of the organization doing the review. I've no clue modern generation views of CR but I bet many can recall seeing the magazine at grandparents. I know they've helped me decide on dozens of purchases over the years, including vehicles, appliances, electronics and home improvement stuff. I've been subscribed to them, more on than off, since late 80s and looked forward to what I always felt to be thorough, transparent and totally honest reviews and testing. have even donated as time or three since way back. Been sub to online only this past decade and was about to let it expire effective 1 Jan.

on with it then...

The article:

10 Supplements to Always Avoid
The risks can be serious, and they increase the larger the dosage and the longer the supplement is taken

By Lisa L. Gill
Updated December 8, 2022

Here are 10 risky supplements that CR, with the help of a panel of doctors and researchers, says you should steer clear of. In general, risk increases the larger the dosage and the longer the supplement is taken. Also beware of illegal or unapproved drug ingredients, such as tianeptine, methylsynephrine, and phenibut.

/snip/

Kava
Also Called: ava pepper, kava kava, Piper methysticum.
Claimed Benefits: eases anxiety, helps sleep.
Potential Harms: liver damage, exacerbates Parkinson’s disease and depression, impairs driving.

/snip/

Editor’s Note: This article also appeared in the January 2023 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

For 85 years, we have been fighting to make sure you get a fair deal and safe products. Our scientists, engineers, journalists, and researchers work tirelessly to bring consumers like you trusted information, so you have the answers you need. Not just so you can buy an appliance or car with confidence, but also so that you can know what’s safe for you and your family. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on the support of our members to help raise the standards of the products and services we use every day. Every donation, no matter the size, contributes to this work. Please support Consumer Reports today — even a gift of as little as $3 will help. Thank you.

/snip/

Lisa L. Gill
As a dorky kid, I spent many a Saturday at the Bloomington, Ind., public library, scouring Consumer Reports back issues for great deals. Now, as a (much) bigger kid, that's still my job! Identifying products and services, especially in healthcare, that are safe, effective, and affordable—and highlighting those that aren't—is my top concern. Got a tip? Follow me on Twitter ( @Lisa_L_Gill)
/snip/

be well everyone, can't respond much like full time participant but will monitor emails on thread updates and get back if more I can help with reference this bad report
✌✊

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Article made me sick, didn't get to far into it as urged to get here ASAP so vendors and Countries making a living with kava can prep, investigate, initiate legal actions, etc etc.

sry if posted wrong space, Kap'n please move, edit, share, repost etc as you see fit. I've not been around much this past couple year, but do try peek in for catch-ups every month or so. Relocating, covid, internet access and devices, bunch of frustrating events, life iow, been taking it's toll...

Not sure if this is behind a paywall or not but I've got access to CR by online subscription if full article or related is necessary. I'll paste below the relevant part.

FWIW, biggest problem, as I see it and reason for my alarming Alert title, is the reputation of the organization doing the review. I've no clue modern generation views of CR but I bet many can recall seeing the magazine at grandparents. I know they've helped me decide on dozens of purchases over the years, including vehicles, appliances, electronics and home improvement stuff. I've been subscribed to them, more on than off, since late 80s and looked forward to what I always felt to be thorough, transparent and totally honest reviews and testing. have even donated as time or three since way back. Been sub to online only this past decade and was about to let it expire effective 1 Jan.

on with it then...

The article:

10 Supplements to Always Avoid
The risks can be serious, and they increase the larger the dosage and the longer the supplement is taken

By Lisa L. Gill
Updated December 8, 2022

Here are 10 risky supplements that CR, with the help of a panel of doctors and researchers, says you should steer clear of. In general, risk increases the larger the dosage and the longer the supplement is taken. Also beware of illegal or unapproved drug ingredients, such as tianeptine, methylsynephrine, and phenibut.

/snip/

Kava
Also Called: ava pepper, kava kava, Piper methysticum.
Claimed Benefits: eases anxiety, helps sleep.
Potential Harms: liver damage, exacerbates Parkinson’s disease and depression, impairs driving.

/snip/

Editor’s Note: This article also appeared in the January 2023 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

For 85 years, we have been fighting to make sure you get a fair deal and safe products. Our scientists, engineers, journalists, and researchers work tirelessly to bring consumers like you trusted information, so you have the answers you need. Not just so you can buy an appliance or car with confidence, but also so that you can know what’s safe for you and your family. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on the support of our members to help raise the standards of the products and services we use every day. Every donation, no matter the size, contributes to this work. Please support Consumer Reports today — even a gift of as little as $3 will help. Thank you.

/snip/

Lisa L. Gill
As a dorky kid, I spent many a Saturday at the Bloomington, Ind., public library, scouring Consumer Reports back issues for great deals. Now, as a (much) bigger kid, that's still my job! Identifying products and services, especially in healthcare, that are safe, effective, and affordable—and highlighting those that aren't—is my top concern. Got a tip? Follow me on Twitter ( @Lisa_L_Gill)
/snip/

be well everyone, can't respond much like full time participant but will monitor emails on thread updates and get back if more I can help with reference this bad report
✌✊
The problem is that in order to comment to Lisa Gill, one has to do twitter(1). I never tweet.
I commented directly to Consumer Reports some years ago when an article with the same title appeared and said about the same about kava.
I recieved a response from Consumer Reports which made it clear the intent of the article was on extracts and capsules and kava pills etc.
Not the traditional beverage.

(1) twitter-"I’ve sometimes described being on Twitter as like staying too late at a bad party full of people who hate you. I now think this was too generous to Twitter. I mean, even the worst parties end.