What's new

Aloha from Memphis Tennessee (!??)

Greywolf

Kava Curious
I am about to start the new year with some Kava from SOMEWHERE, and I was shopping around when I saw this website - along with a warning about KonaKavaFarm, which I actually have a discount code to order from - having gone there before to order raw root.

I saw where GHK Chris said that he bet if people who ordered from KKF got a sample of HIS kava, they wouldn't go back to KKF again, and I wonder about that. I'm wondering what it will cost me altogether (I'll probably have to spread it over two or three months) to do a sample of KKF, GHK, and KwK (Kalm with Kava) since I have to budget things on the lean side being a retired navy guy who likes to play with semi-hotrod cars. I do have two projects that would be considered full blown street rods - but that's going way off topic...

Anyway, with hobbies like that you can imagine that I am largely an "Effect Driven" guy. I like nothing better than to take a stick of raw Kava root and chew on it as I wander around (Good way to avoid sticking a cigarette in my mouth). The raw root is an acquired taste, and nobody looks twice at a guy chewing a stick in my area. Probably figure I'm a typical local hayseed ;) which IS of course the plan.

I'm frankly more interested in plain unprocessed roots than powdered or ground products but I'm looking at a few different things and am open to suggestion (BUDGET permitting - car and truck parts have priority) SO, with all that said Pleezed ta meetcha, howya doin', howya doin'... :woot:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I am about to start the new year with some Kava from SOMEWHERE, and I was shopping around when I saw this website - along with a warning about KonaKavaFarm, which I actually have a discount code to order from - having gone there before to order raw root.

I saw where GHK Chris said that he bet if people who ordered from KKF got a sample of HIS kava, they wouldn't go back to KKF again, and I wonder about that. I'm wondering what it will cost me altogether (I'll probably have to spread it over two or three months) to do a sample of KKF, GHK, and KwK (Kalm with Kava) since I have to budget things on the lean side being a retired navy guy who likes to play with semi-hotrod cars. I do have two projects that would be considered full blown street rods - but that's going way off topic...

Anyway, with hobbies like that you can imagine that I am largely an "Effect Driven" guy. I like nothing better than to take a stick of raw Kava root and chew on it as I wander around (Good way to avoid sticking a cigarette in my mouth). The raw root is an acquired taste, and nobody looks twice at a guy chewing a stick in my area. Probably figure I'm a typical local hayseed ;) which IS of course the plan.

I'm frankly more interested in plain unprocessed roots than powdered or ground products but I'm looking at a few different things and am open to suggestion (BUDGET permitting - car and truck parts have priority) SO, with all that said Pleezed ta meetcha, howya doin', howya doin'... :woot:
Hello fellow Tennessean. Nashville here. Glad to have you with us!

Greywolf

Kava Curious
"I guarantee ya!" ;)

I had another question too, after reading on a few of the recommended sites - KonaKavaFarm says in their directions never to use hot water to prepare KavaKava, because heat destroys the essence of the stuff. But on one of the other vendors sites recommended here it said TO use hot water...

What is behind that?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
"I guarantee ya!" ;)

I had another question too, after reading on a few of the recommended sites - KonaKavaFarm says in their directions never to use hot water to prepare KavaKava, because heat destroys the essence of the stuff. But on one of the other vendors sites recommended here it said TO use hot water...

What is behind that?
They're right, but for different reasons. You shouldn't use water that's over 140°F, as that is the temp at which kavalactones start to break down. (At a really slow rate) Anything under 140, or so won't degrade kavalactones but it WILL increase your yield from kneading. It also makes your grog taste a good bit worse. I personally use 120°F water every single day to make my kava. It gets the most out of it, and we'll admit it...kava ain't cheap :)

Greywolf

Kava Curious
THX, I think I have my water heater set to around that temp, so I could just turn on the hot tap and go with it...

*I have a visual in my head now of the coffee maker in one of the James Bond movies that covered a whole table top. Bond made a cup of coffee for "M" after turning a lot of valves and dinguses and "M" commented:
"Is that really all it does?"

I was thinking about sending for some lab equipment and making some kind of a dedicated "KAVA Maker" but that would be just more clutter that might be hard to explain some day, although I haven't had any police visit my house since my estranged wife departed :shifty:

~She lives with a guy who can't even prove he's ever paid federal taxes or SSI ::huh2::

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Welcome aboard the ship !
I like cold water for a header upbeat effect and warm to hot ish water for more sedation it seems for me.
Enjoy whichever way . no need for a kava maker or worry about police lol!
A blender is a good kava maker.
You just blend some kava and water and strain through a strainer bag such as cheesecloth,pain strainers, nut milk bag anything with a small micron size but not a coffee filter lol! thats too fine !

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Welcome! If your willing to take advice from a born and raised NY/MA Yankee I would recommend taking that KKF code and....well nevermind. I can't say I have ever ordered from there, but they get soundly trounced by many on this forum. Many started with their kava and found it to ineffective relative to the good noble kava you can find from the many good vendors here. You can't go wrong with GHK, BKH, KWK or the many others that consistently get good reviews here. Well worth the extra $ over KKF (which isn't even a real farm). Bula!

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum fellow Hayseed! Take it easy on the Hot Rods once you "feel the effects" of Kava. It will slow you down a bit.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Kona kava wasted years of my life... years because I would order kava it sucked. throw it away or drink it all to no avail and then months later try again this happen maybe 4 or 5 times maybe 6 lol

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Anything Kona Kava Farm can put out Chris can put out something 1000 times better. I've had one KKF product that worked but it was not something I wanted to drink unless I had to. Chris's stuff on the other hand...even the root he sent me that was for the pain in my right knee is stuff you actually want to drink at the end of your day.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Anything Kona Kava Farm can put out Chris can put out something 1000 times better. I've had one KKF product that worked but it was not something I wanted to drink unless I had to. Chris's stuff on the other hand...even the root he sent me that was for the pain in my right knee is stuff you actually want to drink at the end of your day.
Lol, that's true for any vendor on this website.

Greywolf

Kava Curious
blindy107 said:
Welcome. What kind of hot rods?
I've got an '89 Ranger 1/4 ton with a 351 Windsor in it (waiting for a lot more parts including a tranny to make it go), and a '90 or 91 Festiva with a Mazda B6T from a Capri XR2 in it that runs and drives but I'm smoothing it up. The last owner hacked out the A/C and part of the radiator support so they could install an intercooler, and it has a few other bad ideas that were done to it. I also have a '94 Suzuki Swift that I'm collecting another B6 or B6T engine for, I have a head, transaxle, non-turbo header, and a few other goodies at this point.

I also collected a '94 Mazda MX-3 that I just want to make a sweet cruiser out of, it's only a 1600 I4 and I see no reason to go overboard with it.

There are three other Festivas and a chassis for another Ranger, but they are back burner except the one Festiva I use as a sort of "Grocery-Go-Kart"

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I've got an '89 Ranger 1/4 ton with a 351 Windsor in it (waiting for a lot more parts including a tranny to make it go), and a '90 or 91 Festiva with a Mazda B6T from a Capri XR2 in it that runs and drives but I'm smoothing it up. The last owner hacked out the A/C and part of the radiator support so they could install an intercooler, and it has a few other bad ideas that were done to it. I also have a '94 Suzuki Swift that I'm collecting another B6 or B6T engine for, I have a head, transaxle, non-turbo header, and a few other goodies at this point.

I also collected a '94 Mazda MX-3 that I just want to make a sweet cruiser out of, it's only a 1600 I4 and I see no reason to go overboard with it.

There are three other Festivas and a chassis for another Ranger, but they are back burner except the one Festiva I use as a sort of "Grocery-Go-Kart"
(I realize this is 3 years old and I'm hoping you're still on here)

Those are some really cool projects! Not a lot of people do interesting builds like that.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
(I realize this is 3 years old and I'm hoping you're still on here)

Those are some really cool projects! Not a lot of people do interesting builds like that.
Just a hint - if you click on a person's profile you can see the last time they were logged in. Maybe they still visit/lurk without logging in but it is unlikely.
ex. Greywolf was last seen: Mar 3, 2017