What's new

I love Kava Aloha! I just joined kava forums...

Aloha everyone! My name is Sage Franks and I love Kava! I first discovered Kava when I moved to Hawai'i Island in 2001 and became a regular everyday kava drinker in 2002 at the age of 22. I have used cannabis daily for 27 years, avoided pharmaceutical and drug use (mushrooms don't count) and I never really cared for Alcohol much more than a beer here or there. I've always found environments dominated by alcohol and cocaine such as bars, clubs and parties to be obnoxious, boring, concerning and downright sad. One day at the prime drinking age of 22 I found a lil business in Kailua-Kona named Kanaka Kava. I was so stoked to find a place where the people were all alcohol and drug free and who just drank kava and used Cannabis. I avoided so many pitfalls in life from hearing the stories of those who became kava drinkers after years of alcohol/drug addiction and destruction, their stories scared me straight even though I wasn't going down those paths. The regulars would all tell me things like "stick to kava and cannabis kid and you'll be alright" boy were they right! After drinking kava just about every day for 21 years now I must say that kava is one of the most amazing plants I've ever come across. Kava is an amazing medicine, however, from my experience the medicinal effects of the plant are but a small token of its life changing power. The rmost medicinal benefits of kava that I have witnessed has been the community that gathers Around The Kava Bowl. People come for the kava but really stay for the amazing conversations with the diverse group of people that gather to drink the medicine. I now have spent close to 20 years preparing and serving Kava at 3 different Kava bars on the island of Hawai'i as well as numerous weddings, graduations, concerts and at a Kava festival that used to take place annually on Oahu. I also spent 3 years growing, harvesting and processing fresh Hawaiian Kava for the farm of the Kava Bar I worked at for 17 years named Kanaka Kava. Almost one year ago my wife, children and I opened our own Kava bar in Ka'awaloa (Captain Cook) named Around The Kava Bowl. We serve fresh Hawaiian Awa as well as powder blends usually 50/50 Fiji/Tonga.

I am so proud to see the evolution of the kava industry especially with the expansive testing and the explosion of Kava bars all over the world. When I first started working at Kanaka Kava and it's farm we were only aware of and able to locate 3 other kava bars in the US, 2 being on the island of Oahu and 1 in Florida. Times have changed! An old regular of mine came to visit recently and said there's 30 something kava bars in the county in Florida he resides. Seems like there is well over 100 kava bars just in the state of Florida. It's beautiful to see kava bars popping up all over to give people a much needed alternative to bars serving Alcohol. I've been amazed at how many peoples lives I've had the honor of helping change for the better and the lives that I've helped to save. I've already seen my kava bar in less than one year help save a couple of lives and help a handful to escape their cycle of alcohol and or pharmaceutical addiction. Kava has changed my life as well as so many that have had the experience of sitting Around The Kava Bowl and talking story over some shells.

Thank you all for reading this post and for being a part of the kava world helping to spread the message and the medicine!

I look forward to interacting with yall on here!
Aloha, Sage

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Aloha everyone! My name is Sage Franks and I love Kava! I first discovered Kava when I moved to Hawai'i Island in 2001 and became a regular everyday kava drinker in 2002 at the age of 22. I have used cannabis daily for 27 years, avoided pharmaceutical and drug use (mushrooms don't count) and I never really cared for Alcohol much more than a beer here or there. I've always found environments dominated by alcohol and cocaine such as bars, clubs and parties to be obnoxious, boring, concerning and downright sad. One day at the prime drinking age of 22 I found a lil business in Kailua-Kona named Kanaka Kava. I was so stoked to find a place where the people were all alcohol and drug free and who just drank kava and used Cannabis. I avoided so many pitfalls in life from hearing the stories of those who became kava drinkers after years of alcohol/drug addiction and destruction, their stories scared me straight even though I wasn't going down those paths. The regulars would all tell me things like "stick to kava and cannabis kid and you'll be alright" boy were they right! After drinking kava just about every day for 21 years now I must say that kava is one of the most amazing plants I've ever come across. Kava is an amazing medicine, however, from my experience the medicinal effects of the plant are but a small token of its life changing power. The rmost medicinal benefits of kava that I have witnessed has been the community that gathers Around The Kava Bowl. People come for the kava but really stay for the amazing conversations with the diverse group of people that gather to drink the medicine. I now have spent close to 20 years preparing and serving Kava at 3 different Kava bars on the island of Hawai'i as well as numerous weddings, graduations, concerts and at a Kava festival that used to take place annually on Oahu. I also spent 3 years growing, harvesting and processing fresh Hawaiian Kava for the farm of the Kava Bar I worked at for 17 years named Kanaka Kava. Almost one year ago my wife, children and I opened our own Kava bar in Ka'awaloa (Captain Cook) named Around The Kava Bowl. We serve fresh Hawaiian Awa as well as powder blends usually 50/50 Fiji/Tonga.

I am so proud to see the evolution of the kava industry especially with the expansive testing and the explosion of Kava bars all over the world. When I first started working at Kanaka Kava and it's farm we were only aware of and able to locate 3 other kava bars in the US, 2 being on the island of Oahu and 1 in Florida. Times have changed! An old regular of mine came to visit recently and said there's 30 something kava bars in the county in Florida he resides. Seems like there is well over 100 kava bars just in the state of Florida. It's beautiful to see kava bars popping up all over to give people a much needed alternative to bars serving Alcohol. I've been amazed at how many peoples lives I've had the honor of helping change for the better and the lives that I've helped to save. I've already seen my kava bar in less than one year help save a couple of lives and help a handful to escape their cycle of alcohol and or pharmaceutical addiction. Kava has changed my life as well as so many that have had the experience of sitting Around The Kava Bowl and talking story over some shells.

Thank you all for reading this post and for being a part of the kava world helping to spread the message and the medicine!

I look forward to interacting with yall on here!
Aloha, Sage
Sincerely welcome. Your passion for kava is acknowledged here and deeply appreciated. I wish I had known about your bar in December! I was all over the East Coast of the Big Island doing the tourist thing until I went back over to the Hilo side to see kava farms.

Just an update on those bar numbers. There are now over 300 with 200 of those being located in Florida, lol.

Kava has changed our lives for the better, and I will always live my life in debt of kava. I believe it saved me entirely back in 2005.

Again, welcome!

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome Sage!

Nice post - you're right when you say other drugs cause a lot of problems in life. They ruined my life big time. Kava has given it back to me though...

I went from getting a university degree to being homeless due to drugs. I've been sectioned in mental institutions multiple times. I almost lost all my family and friends. I've been trying to get sober for the past couple of years, but kept relapsing and getting kicked out of housing. I first tried Kava about 10 years ago, but because of the price in the UK and the fact that I had no money at the time, I was only able to order it now and again. Plus, I was generally looking for strong highs back then, so Kava just wasn't worth it for me at that time. Since I've introduced Kava into my life properly while being in recovery however, it's been a miricle. I finally feel alive again for the first time in over 10 years. I have goals in life now, great friendships, I'm moving abroad to work soon. And I can still satisfy that part of my brain that feels an urge to use something on a daily basis, without ruining my life. I've always been a big fan of benzos too, they were one of my drugs of choice, Kava is the most similar thing to a benzo I'd say that I've taken, and I've taken a lot of stuff over the years.

Life is finally falling into place for me properly, and it's incredible. I'm so so happy, and I truly believe I owe it to Kava. Myself as well, as I have been working hard on self improvement over the past couple of years, but Kava has made things even better, and has made things much much easier for me.

Bula my friend!