What's new

Aluball

Crunked

Proselytizer
I haven't done traditional prep since I got my Aluballs. It is potent, quick and much easier on the cleanup.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'd say it's slightly less efficient if we compare the best traditional prep (using fantastic strainers, ideal water temp, perfect force, etc) with average aluball prep. But it's as efficient (if not better? at least way more reliable) as your average traditional prep.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
How does the root get squeezed inside that little ball? Sure, it jiggles around but I just don't see the fibers getting wrung out like a good traditional prep.

Also, a local fabric store was having a going out of business sale and I scored a mountain of cheesecloth super cheap.

EQ

Atman
How does the root get squeezed inside that little ball? Sure, it jiggles around but I just don't see the fibers getting wrung out like a good traditional prep.

Also, a local fabric store was having a going out of business sale and I scored a mountain of cheesecloth super cheap.
It does not get squeezed, but there is force involved. If you give a weak shake the root can be very wet, but you when you smash it out the roots gets sponge dry just like with kneading. It is almost as effective. We just need the XL ball to come out to really show it's power when we can insta batch 100 grams. One ball only holds 1 and a half tablespoons. Many double ball shake it to get a nice dose.

I knead mostly due to ball's capacity, and shaking can be very bothersome to me.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
One ball only holds 1 and a half tablespoons.
I disagree. One ball holds up to 2 (even heaped) tablespoons without influencing the shaking process (i.e. there is still enough room for the root powder to move around in the ball). However, using two balls is even better, and the XL ball would be paradise, you're right. ::awesomesmiles::

KMman

Kava Curious
I've been using doubled up pantyhose filled with kava and tied on both sides as a aluball and it works great. After one shake there is not very much left, it's very effective.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I've been using doubled up pantyhose filled with kava and tied on both sides as a aluball and it works great. After one shake there is not very much left, it's very effective.
Yeah, I thought of doing that but it would be a real drag washing the pantyhose before my wife gets home.

KMman

Kava Curious
Yep, it works pretty good. I usually make a traditional grog but when I'm running low on time I'll do this.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I disagree. One ball holds up to 2 (even heaped) tablespoons without influencing the shaking process (i.e. there is still enough room for the root powder to move around in the ball). However, using two balls is even better, and the XL ball would be paradise
Ok, Thanks for explaining :) The Aluball jug is around 700 ml... or half a litre if you leave some air for shaking and two balls.

Four heaping tablespoons to half a litre sounds about right.