What's new

An Inconclusive Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Just back from a visit with my Dad in Cottonwood, AZ. During the flight there, at about 30,000' my nails took on the look in the photo. First time experience for me. Terry Nails.jpg Darker tips of reddish brown. Very white nails under that. Strange, distinctive. An internet search seemed to indicate something called Terry's Nails...which can indicate liver failure. I felt great, no other indications of problems. After fretting for a day, I called my doctor back home in Sanibel, FL who asked me to go ahead and get a lab (bloodwork) in AZ. As it turned out, everything was "perfect." I'm not sure what brought this on, but I do wonder if kava played a role. I've drunk kava (traditional prep) for several years without problem. Before heading west, I had ordered a good bit of micro for ease of use. I wanted to try it for a few days before I went to see how I would feel using it out there. No real problems, but then his odd thing with the nails. More than a week later, I'm home, but still can see this darkening..though it's moderated. The doctor had mentioned that there are many "benign" reasons for Terry's Nails. But, it did make me wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just back from a visit with my Dad in Cottonwood, AZ. During the flight there, at about 30,000' my nails took on the look in the photo. First time experience for me. View attachment 9930 Darker tips of reddish brown. Very white nails under that. Strange, distinctive. An internet search seemed to indicate something called Terry's Nails...which can indicate liver failure. I felt great, no other indications of problems. After fretting for a day, I called my doctor back home in Sanibel, FL who asked me to go ahead and get a lab (bloodwork) in AZ. As it turned out, everything was "perfect." I'm not sure what brought this on, but I do wonder if kava played a role. I've drunk kava (traditional prep) for several years without problem. Before heading west, I had ordered a good bit of micro for ease of use. I wanted to try it for a few days before I went to see how I would feel using it out there. No real problems, but then his odd thing with the nails. More than a week later, I'm home, but still can see this darkening..though it's moderated. The doctor had mentioned that there are many "benign" reasons for Terry's Nails. But, it did make me wonder if anyone else has noticed this?
I'll have to say that's one I've never experienced. Very strange that it happened on a plane flight at altitude and all at once.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I speculate it was a blood flow issue or you unknowingly came into contact with a chemical during your travels. How did you like AZ? I live in the Southern parts of the state.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
We always love to be in AZ. My wife and I grew up in Blythe, CA. We spent some winter months in Tucson a few years ago. And even tried Ajo for part of one winter. After marriage we moved to the LA area. But tropical climes proved to have the greater allure. Especially Sanibel Island. But my Dad's view of Sedona's red cliffs, from his Cottonwood home...are very lovely.

I speculate it was a blood flow issue or you unknowingly came into contact with a chemical during your travels. How did you like AZ? I live in the Southern parts of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.