What's new

Anxiety from Kava

laura.sears

Hello everybody, this is my first time ever writing on a forum so I'm not sure I'm doing it in the right place. I've been trying Moi and Nene (strained, micronized and instant) for anxiety and after the initial xanax-like effect I get jittery and I end up pretty anxious when I try to go to bed. Anyone else experiencing this? Any idea of why it's happening to me? I've been drinking it around lunch time on an empty stomach (2 tbsps for the strained drink and 1-2 tsps for micronized and instant).

N

Noname

When I get too hungry and drink kava I feel bad.. You gotta get the timing right

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hello everybody, this is my first time ever writing on a forum so I'm not sure I'm doing it in the right place. I've been trying Moi and Nene (strained, micronized and instant) for anxiety and after the initial xanax-like effect I get jittery and I end up pretty anxious when I try to go to bed. Anyone else experiencing this? Any idea of why it's happening to me? I've been drinking it around lunch time on an empty stomach (2 tbsps for the strained drink and 1-2 tsps for micronized and instant).
Welcome aboard the krunked ship :)

It's possible you are very sensitive to heady kavas. From GHK, I'd say try the Hiwa or Hanakapi Ai, both are stronger in body and sedating properties. Also, I'd get the medium grind and an Aluball, it will save $$ in the long run.

laura.sears

Welcome aboard the krunked ship :)

It's possible you are very sensitive to heady kavas. From GHK, I'd say try the Hiwa or Hanakapi Ai, both are stronger in body and sedating properties. Also, I'd get the medium grind and an Aluball, it will save $$ in the long run.
I guess I'll have to get off the ship. I got Moi and Nene because everyone here said the first was the best for anxiety and the second would put you to sleep. That's not how they worked with me. They both made my anxiety much worse. I already spent some money on all these bags that I'll have to throw away after one use. I guess it's just not for me.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I guess I'll have to get off the ship. I got Moi and Nene because everyone here said the first was the best for anxiety and the second would put you to sleep. That's not how they worked with me. They both made my anxiety much worse. I already spent some money on all these bags that I'll have to throw away after one use. I guess it's just not for me.
Don't throw it out, list it here;
http://kavaforums.com/forum/resources/categories/member-classifieds.7/
Obviously it's up to you when you call it quits, but what happened to you, happens to many people, it's a matter of finding the right kava for your needs.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@laura.sears it is a matter of finding the right kava. Nene is sedative for most people but it jacks me up. It's worth some experimentation.
Moi puts me deeply to sleep. It really is a subjective experience that may require fine tuning after fully grasping the effects that kava gives.

laura.sears

I guess I should've bought the sample pack. When I get excited about something new I buy it in bulk, before realizing that it doesn't work for me. I don't think I'm willing to go through several strains of kava and the hassle to have to sell it. Does any of you guys live in LA?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I know exactly the feeling you're describing. It feels "burnt out", but you can't relax. I swapped my kava routine from daytime to nightime before bed, and this erased the feeling. It also carries on into the next day with the anxi-anxiety effects.

Edit: Also welcome! We're glad you're reaching out to us.

laura.sears

I know exactly the feeling you're describing. It feels "burnt out", but you can't relax. I swapped my kava routine from daytime to nightime before bed, and this erased the feeling. It also carries on into the next day with the anxi-anxiety effects.

Edit: Also welcome! We're glad you're reaching out to us.
That sounds interesting. What strain are you using? How far away from your dinner?

Thank you! I actually feel very welcomed. Didn't expect to receive answers this fast.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That sounds interesting. What strain are you using? How far away from your dinner?

Thank you! I actually feel very welcomed. Didn't expect to receive answers this fast.
Currently I'm drinking Borongoru from Kalm with Kava. I tend to drink the heavier varieties (basically any type that begins in "boro-"). I eat at 6:00 Pm and drink kava by 10:00Pm. No food impedance unless I've eaten a really large meal or a big steak, but even then it's generally not a problem, and can sometimes increase the kava effect if I've eaten something fatty (Sometimes, but not always)

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Sounds like you have already given up before even writing the post, to which I ask why write it in the first place? Apologies if I come off as rude just genuinely curious.

Everyone here has different effects off of different strains of kava. It's hard to judge what experience you will personally draw from one strain to another. There are also factors such as your setting, diet, how you feel emotionally, and numerous other determining factors that will play a key role in what you get out of a Kava.

You mentioned trying Kava at lunch, I'm assuming at work? Maybe a workplace setting may not be most suitable for you. For me my anxiety throughout a workday is decreased dramatically by lingering effects from the kava session the night before. Kava candy is a simple way for quick anxiety relief for me throughout a work day. You can easily purchase it through Amazon if interested.

All kava strains are different. While I don't personally like to compare Kava to anything else, it is similar to cannabis purely in the fact that there are many different chemotypes that can range widely in effects.

Obviously most members of this forum are going to have a bias towards kava, but for good reason. It has changed the life's of many of the forum members in positive ways. For me it was simply a healthier alternative to drinking a few times a week with the added bonus of anxiety relief. I still enjoy a nice glass of scotch on occasion but it's no longer an unhealthy habit. I truly hope you find what you are looking for. Try a couple other strains and try having your Kava sessions in a relaxing environment.
Bula::happyshell::

laura.sears

Currently I'm drinking Borongoru from Kalm with Kava. I tend to drink the heavier varieties (basically any type that begins in "boro-"). I eat at 6:00 Pm and drink kava by 10:00Pm. No food impedance unless I've eaten a really large meal or a big steak, but even then it's generally not a problem, and can sometimes increase the kava effect if I've eaten something fatty (Sometimes, but not always)

I also have dinner at 6pm. I would have kava around lunch time before breaking my fast because I couldn't find any reliable information about Kava's calories content. I've been fasting for over a year and feel pretty good ever since I started so I don't want to mess with that. I might try to take it a little after dinner.
The first Kava I tried was the Waka ground root from Bula Kava house. I only had that twice and don't remember feeling anxious afterwards. Then I received the "fancy" ones from GHK. Do you know if the BKH kava is good?

laura.sears

Sounds like you have already given up before even writing the post, to which I ask why write it in the first place? Apologies if I come off as rude just genuinely curious.

Everyone here has different effects off of different strains of kava. It's hard to judge what experience you will personally draw from one strain to another. There are also factors such as your setting, diet, how you feel emotionally, and numerous other determining factors that will play a key role in what you get out of a Kava.

You mentioned trying Kava at lunch, I'm assuming at work? Maybe a workplace setting may not be most suitable for you. For me my anxiety throughout a workday is decreased dramatically by lingering effects from the kava session the night before. Kava candy is a simple way for quick anxiety relief for me throughout a work day. You can easily purchase it through Amazon if interested.

All kava strains are different. While I don't personally like to compare Kava to anything else, it is similar to cannabis purely in the fact that there are many different chemotypes that can range widely in effects.

Obviously most members of this forum are going to have a bias towards kava, but for good reason. It has changed the life's of many of the forum members in positive ways. For me it was simply a healthier alternative to drinking a few times a week with the added bonus of anxiety relief. I still enjoy a nice glass of scotch on occasion but it's no longer an unhealthy habit. I truly hope you find what you are looking for. Try a couple other strains and try having your Kava sessions in a relaxing environment.
Bula::happyshell::
I don't know why it sounds so to you. I was asking if I'm doing something wrong with the two strains I have and if it's common to get anxiety from Kava.
I don't have a "common" job. I drink Kava at home.
Thanks for the tips

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I also have dinner at 6pm. I would have kava around lunch time before breaking my fast because I couldn't find any reliable information about Kava's calories content. I've been fasting for over a year and feel pretty good ever since I started so I don't want to mess with that. I might try to take it a little after dinner.
The first Kava I tried was the Waka ground root from Bula Kava house. I only had that twice and don't remember feeling anxious afterwards. Then I received the "fancy" ones from GHK. Do you know if the BKH kava is good?
Heres a little estimate on calories in kava by @verticity
I think the appetite suppression is actually a pharmacological/neurological effect of kavalactones. Kava does contains starch and stuff, but I don't think it would be very filling by itself, if you took the kavalactones out. Let's say you drink a serving of 16 grams. 43% of the root is starch, but not all of the starch is going to make it into the grog. So let's guesstimate that half the starch, sugar and protein are extracted from the powder. That's 3 grams of starch + 0.25 grams of sugar + 0.25 grams of protein.
There are 4 calories in a gram of carbohydrate (starch, sugar) or protein, so one serving of kava contains roughly 14 calories... If you toss and wash you get 28 calories, still not much...
Yes, Bula Kava House kava is good. He is very picky about the kavas he selects to offer for sale.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Los Angeles
Is that a kava market? It's over an hour away from where I live. Much more convenient to buy it online. Thanks for the tip though.

Edit: does that store sell it online as well?
No, they're a little hole-in-the-wall, Mom 'n' Pop shop that sells Pacific Island goods.
If you're ever going to Knott's or Disneyland or doing something in that part of OC, you should stop in and pick some up.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
oh yeah, don't throw them out. Many people will happily pay you for them. I might be one. Root is too good to throw away.