What's new

Anxiety from Kava

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Fwiw, and this is strictly my opinion probably shared by no one, what you did was like a a 15 year old kid who just got her learners permit went out and bought a Mercedes and a Harley and entered some professional races.

Because I believe that when one starts it takes time for kavalactones to build up in the body to reach minimum levels for effects to happen, beyond the superficial krunk, that is, and ones receptors have to be trained, I recommend my friends starting out, especially if their main concern is anxiety and/or insomnia, that they start out slow, with kava that is weak and cheap and expect nothing as they go through the beginning process of training up to take kava. Specifically I recommend Wakacon lawena at $37.50 a pound, a Tbs in a cup of water blended and strained twice a day for a month just to get to the starting line.

So my recommendation is do that, then graduate to a mid tier kava like wakacon waka at double that for a month, then try to get Krunk on a 3 or 4 tbs dose, which I believe triggers things. And if all that works then you'd be at the point you want to be now and see yourself failing at. Then bring out that gourmet stuff you stored and aren't ready for now and have a hell of a treat.

As I say, that is my opinion alone, and probably no one would agree, so I only offer it as a last resort before giving up.

Last edited:

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I have only found 1 strain I liked, and I only liked that strain micronized. I have no where near experienced anywhere near the anxiety relief people here have felt. I am immensely envious actually.

Tried nene, did not like it.

I recommend trying Borongoru micronized from Kalm with Kava. It has never made me feel sick and has a nice effect in my opinion. Nothing too powerful in the head. I wish I could find something similar on a heady spectrum but I literally just feel overwhelmed and ill whenever I've tried other things or I feel weak effects.

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
I have had troubles with Moi. I got anxiety as well as an extremely high blood pressure reading while using it regularly. I found this out at the doctors office. After switching away from Moi, my BP dropped back down to normal levels (I have a home BP test) and I didn't get the anxiety anymore. As I recall, there are others who have noted this increase in BP with Moi, however I certainly don't think it is that way for everyone.

Kava works differently for different people, however I just wanted you to know that you're not alone in your reaction to Moi. GHK is a very high-quality vendor and all of his root seems to be stellar in quality and his customer service is impeccable, but sometimes you have to do a little trial and error, as different strains have different effects for different people.

Nevertheless, if you're jumping off the S.S. Krunkhard, I bid you safe travels!

.wimbly

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I have had troubles with Moi. I got anxiety as well as an extremely high blood pressure reading while using it regularly. I found this out at the doctors office. After switching away from Moi, my BP dropped back down to normal levels (I have a home BP test) and I didn't get the anxiety anymore. As I recall, there are others who have noted this increase in BP with Moi, however I certainly don't think it is that way for everyone.

Kava works differently for different people, however I just wanted you to know that you're not alone in your reaction to Moi. GHK is a very high-quality vendor and all of his root seems to be stellar in quality and his customer service is impeccable, but sometimes you have to do a little trial and error, as different strains have different effects for different people.

Nevertheless, if you're jumping off the S.S. Krunkhard, I bid you safe travels!

.wimbly
That's a pretty serious statement to say that a certain strain of Kava can be causing people to walk around with high blood pressure. A bit concerning.

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
That's a pretty serious statement to say that a certain strain of Kava can be causing people to walk around with high blood pressure. A bit concerning.
Well, take it as you will. There are several well-documented negative effects that are possible when using kava. While it generally seems like a harmless substance for most people, that doesn't discount the fact that some strains for some people have some negative effects. Mangoes are generally harmless for most people... unless they have a latex allergy. Very few people do, but for those that do, bad news...

The anxiety/BP effects have been echoed by others including (but not limited to) Deleted User. I had stumbled across him mentioning this when I was googling around after I confirmed that the BP increase seemed to be directly linked to Moi: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads...solved-maybe-for-me-at-least.4077/#post-45830 This echoes my own experience both in terms of anxiety and blood pressure but also in elevated RHR. I wear a heart-rate monitor 24/7 and keep track of a lot of various biometrics, so the effect was quickly and easily noticed.

Deleted User theorizes that it may be the high level of the kavalactone Yangonin present in Moi -- the kavalactone also likely responsible for the particularly heady effects of the root. He quotes from a Wikipedia article on the subject noting "anxiety relief is unlikely to be contributed to Yangonin's CB1 agonistic properties as CB1 agonism is known to be anxiogenic rather than anxiolytic" (emphasis mine). This verbiage is no longer in the article, however it seems to indicate that high Yangonin levels may be anxiety-inducing. Garry also shares my sentiment regarding the clear nobility and quality of Moi and GHK despite the unexpected effects for both of us (and, it would seem, OP).

The abnormally high BP obviously relates to the high anxiety I was feeling from the Moi. Certainly having the anxiety and then finding out my BP was dangerously high didn't do anything to help the anxiety which in turn can increase BP... it becomes a bit of a feedback loop, but yes, I would say that Moi (and likely other strains) can cause anxiety and correlative BP increase (or vice versa, it's difficult to ascertain the causative relationship) for some people. The occurrence coincides very neatly with the rise in RHR, daily anxiety/panic (unusual for me), as well as the dramatic rise in BP, all of which returned to normal after cessation of kava. I began drinking kava again but switched to different (still GHK) strains and had none of the same problems.

I would also like to reiterate that this has nothing to do with the quality or general safety of GHK or kava in general. Any substance that humans consume will have varied effects on different people. GHK is, in my opinion, the most reliably high-quality vendor around, and he really cares about his product, so please bear that in mind. To that point, I now exclusively use GHK's Nene and Mahakea and have had no issues.

.wimbly

Last edited:

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Moi is the only kava that gives me nausea. GHK is the only vendor I order from, so it's no reflection on Chris. Just Moi isn't the right kava for me.