Change background image

Anyone ever get feelings of both immense sadness AND happiness when drinking Kava?

Discussion in 'Kava and Spirituality / Mindfulness' started by David H., Sep 7, 2019.

1. David H.

David H. Member

How can I describe it... That feeling when you're on vacation and you're looking over a beautiful mountain range in the Colorado Rockies. You're just filled with this blissful peace, the calmness, the beauty of it all, and the vastness of nature. But at the same you remember that beyond this beautiful, quiet landscape lies the bullshit of humanity. You remember you have to return to the rat race next week. You remember that awful bombing that was in the news recently. You wonder how people can be so horrid. The beauty of your surroundings collides with the sad reality of human nature. You feel small, helpless, finite, happy, and sad all at the same time. As if life is some tragically beautiful series of events where nothing actually matters.

That's the best way I can describe it. That's the feeling I get every time I drink Kava. Regardless of the strain. Anyone else relate. It's not the most comfortable feeling which is why I can only drink it 1-2X a week at most. It takes me through a wide range of emotions and usually forces me to get out my pen and paper and record my thoughts. I find I learn something new about the world, myself, or my perspective on life in every Kava session.
  2. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

What I believe this is due to is the fact that kava doesn't mess with your head. Normally when we "imbibe" we expect a full on numbing of our issues, the worlds problems and all anxieties of daily life. We look for a full on "mini-vacation", if you will. While it does do a good job of relieving daily anxiety, kava wont numb emotional pain like we expect from other substances. It wont erase feelings like other drugs do, and honestly I'm glad. One more check mark on the side of "non-addictive" for kava.
  3. neeko b

neeko b New Member

Definitely understand this.... I was thinking that Kava helps feelings bubble to the surface for processing and acceptance. I always thought Kava kind of made me feel like I had a good cry (Think I posted here about that once).
  4. fait

fait Position 5 Hard Support

I've noticed a rise in emotions when I drink kava. Nothing immense, but along with the awareness of how I feel, I feel at ease enough to handle thinking (aloud) about the things on my mind, good or bad, trivial or grave.
  5. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

Kava encourages me to accept the sadness and deal with it practically. It has a great way of talking sense to me. It doesn't gloss anything over, it just tells me to get up early tomorrow and get to work.
  6. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

Yes. I've noticed it heightening emotions but also burying them too, at times. I have experienced existential dread multiple times after kava but I have also found kava to help me let go of worries and fears obviously.it kind of depends on how it hits.
  7. _byron

_byron Kava Enthusiast

I'm just going to resonate with what everyone else said here. Kava is not an "escape" but allows one to be open to acceptance and understanding of why one would be trying to "escape". To me kava slows down my less logical "chimp" brain and I am able to process issues with my logical side of my brain. But the issues still exist... You are just no longer spinning in your mind about them, and actually able to process and accept.
  8. KavaKavaJava

KavaKavaJava The guy who says "Folks"

I can relate to this. During a heavy session I'm filled with calmness but I am overwhelmed with guilt and profound sadness. If i hear a story about something troubling someone I can feel their emotions and it can be painful and overwhelming.
  9. Terrance J Goins JR

Terrance J Goins JR New Member

yes kava can do that i agree it can bring on your emotional rooted problems to the surface and give you a way to free from them in a positive way. I love that i can still feel shame and guilt but at the same time im able to resolve it without getting negative. The world simply looks very real and not fake anymore and everything comes to it's real senses this is not a bad thing it makes one a more aware person!
  10. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

Back in 2003, back in my college days, I was...a connoisseur of chemicals, so naturally I was interested in kava. I ended up purchasing kava extract from iamshaman. My roommate had excessive (and I do mean excessive) OCD issues. Bad enough where he would get up in the middle of the night to check to make sure his windows were closed and doors were locked on his car on a daily or semi-daily basis. One night I decided to get the extract out and have a go with it, having absolutely no knowledge of kava what-so-ever. We had no idea how to consume it, so we ended up dipping tostitos chips in it and eating it. At the time I didn't feel anything, maybe a placebo. I sort of wrote it off as a novelty, maybe something to try harder with later. It was at this time I looked over to my roommate. He had the most "mind blown" face I've seen a person have. He said "I see. I see clearly. My OCD is gone". He wouldn't stop talking about how he felt like he was seeing everything again for the first time. I knew at that point there was something more about kava that I just wasn't seeing. Glad it found me again later.
  11. Krunkie McKrunkface

now that's a story and a half!
  12. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist) Kava Enthusiast

It's fascinating... this topic is very accurate. Recently this has been hitting me more...and it's because I am going through an existential crisis.... the kava makes that more apparent. Sometimes it shoves it in my face. Very strongly. And only music takes me out of it. It's very interesting. When Im alone it becomes much more intense. Makes me realize the importance of community. Very very important.
    Krunʞy likes this.
  13. Terrance J Goins JR

Terrance J Goins JR New Member

yeah kava works in the subconscious mind it's truly amazing it's so amazing how you don't crave alcohol on it at all and you believe in your goals so much!
  14. Krunkie McKrunkface

I still think if people need to shell together, and sometimes people do, there's always the virtual kava circle. Kava is cool alone, but it is also a wonderful wonderful social beverage, even if as in my case it is often just me and family I love sitting around shelling.
  15. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist) Kava Enthusiast

Krunkie McKrunkface likes this.