What's new

Anyone ever tried a French Press for brewing Kava?

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Seems like it would be da bomb for multiple washes and would handle heat if you so desire. I have a Aluball on the way, just thinking out loud here.

nosuni

Kava Enthusiast
I have tried, but it does not work very well. On the very fine screens, it clogs up and is impossible to press. An aeropress works OK if you use no filter and then just strain it through a regular strainer bag, but still requires some kneading.

Reactions: Myk

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Ya, wait for the aluball. I have this loose leaf tea strainer for a tea pot that fits perfectly in a random glass jar, and the lid closes tight, which I'll use in a pinch for a quick shell or two. My make shift aluball :shameshame:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm pretty sure someone here even injured themselves trying to do that with a French press with the glass bowl. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. I'd go with the commenters above.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
If you try it, try it with micronized grind instead of regular. I predict you would at least have a fighting chance.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Ah thanks for the warning , Aluball came today just broke it in with a double wash of Kavafied's Fiji Waka. Two heaping Tbls/8oz. per wash I'm
grooving. I'd give it two thumbs up if I wasn't so relaxed. The wife organized the old french press into the garbage and now that my new aluball soul
mate is here I don't for see the need for any french press adventures.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Ah thanks for the warning , Aluball came today just broke it in with a double wash of Kavafied's Fiji Waka. Two heaping Tbls/8oz. per wash I'm
grooving. I'd give it two thumbs up if I wasn't so relaxed. The wife organized the old french press into the garbage and now that my new aluball soul
mate is here I don't for see the need for any french press adventures.
Well geeez we didn't want you to not try it. :)

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
If you try it, try it with micronized grind instead of regular. I predict you would at least have a fighting chance.
My KWK sampler got here and I don't need a shaker or press for that stuff, a couple rotations with the spoon and bula! Can't wait to get my hands on some
micro moi.

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
Run that KWK micronized thru the aluball and tell me what you get.
In fact, this is a great way to test/compare micronized options.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
My KWK sampler got here and I don't need a shaker or press for that stuff, a couple rotations with the spoon and bula! Can't wait to get my hands on some
micro moi.
Yup, I've recently turned to all micro....sooooo much easier. The aluball was easier than traditional prep, but it was still more effort than I was looking for especially since in order to get the affects I was after I needed to reload both balls and combine all the washes. I was ending up with more liquid than I could stomach. I found myself slipping back into just pulling a cork on a wine bottle or popping the cap on a bottle of beer. Micro has put me back on the path I want to be.