What's new

Anyone mix Kava with Cannabis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJo

Kava Curious
Hi Guys,

First of all, I don't smoke Cannabis regularly nor have I smoked it recently, probably going on 4-5 years since the last time I touched it.

Yes it's illegal here and everybody has there differing opinions on it, I personally think it's a wonderful plant, absolutely nothing wrong with it and should be fully legalised. Although I'm not someone who particularly enjoys it's effects..

But have any of you guys experimented with Kava and Cannabis at the same time? What was it like?

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking this..

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Hey TJo, I'm kind of like you. Haven't used cannabis in many years. It's illegal here, too, etc.

Coincidentally, last week I was many shells into a kava afternoon, cleaning out some old drawers full of stuff and came across a bag with a tiny amount of OG diesel shake. Like, smaller than a pea. So I thought what the heck, I'll smoke it like old times.

Oh. My. Gosh. Having no tolerance is a powerful thing. I was baked. Strong body buzz right away, followed by a couchlock that was unlike any kava couchlock. It was... couchlock without the mellow. Couchlock with energy. Even with anxiety. Honestly, it was fun for 30 minutes and then just sort of unpleasant.

So here's my honest opinion: if you are a regular bud smoker, kava won't hurt you. If you are a cannabis lightweight and already full of kava, don't fire up a roach with a high THC strain--you will feel bad.

Kava and cannabis seem to potentiate each other, especially if you have no tolerance. I think high CBD / low THC strains may complement kava better. Cannabis could help stave off kava-induced nausea. The way cannabis enhances appreciation of music could synergize well with kava, as long as you want to listen to music instead of the kava. A cannabis buzz will completely overpower the nice feel of a heady kava, however, and it can completely kill a good meditative heavy krunk with a weird antsy, energized feeling.

TJo

Kava Curious
Hey Kastom_lif, Thanks for sharing that :)
Haha couchlock... WITH ENERGY. Love it XD
Yeah, I'm sort of the same... a little sprinkle hiding away in the closet. Kava whispers into my ears some nights, just have a little, it will be nice.
Maybe next year.. haha :)

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Honestly I wish it had been a bag of stems n seeds. Modern weed is insane.

And now I really feel like an old fart for saying that. Heh.

I don't know. I guess, kava just spoils me because it lets me keep my head level. Getting stoned, it's like having ADHD. Your mind bounces all over the place and instead of finding peace. I was just... distracted.

In a social situation with heady kava I think cannabis would be fine for a lot of people. Just... take it easy.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I think you should listen to the kava and try it . If that's what the kava is saying .

However!
Don't get attached, she's sticky ... very sticky..

Haha agreed on the thc content though. Higher cbd is better experience in general... I think that's called ... cannabis! Yes I don't know what to call these freak genetic buds.... thc containers?

20 % thc means a whole lot less of the other 80 or so other cannabinoids present in the plant. Remember we can't get past 100%
So it just takes away . And usually from cbd !

I think they mix great together. But cannabis is not the same as kava .
Cannabis is more psychedelic . Kava is more like coffee.
Tobacco is kind of like kava in that sense .

But cannabis is cannabis!
I think the timing of the kava telling you to try the cannabis is perfect.
It's night time assumably and then you can to to bed. Being awake after being stoned can be a hassle whence it wears off. It takes tolerance to handle day time smoking.. like coffee drinkers at night .

I find when I couldn't smoke cannabis due to anxiety. Kava allowed me to gradually re introduce it.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3165946/

Abstract. ( actually a separate studies abstract )!
This study examines the current knowledge of physiological and clinical effects of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) and presents a rationale for their combination in pharmaceutical preparations. Cannabinoid and vanilloid receptor effects as well as non-receptor mechanisms are explored, such as the capability of THC and CBD to act as anti-inflammatory substances independent of cyclo-oxygenase (COX) inhibition. CBD is demonstrated to antagonise some undesirable effects of THC including intoxication, sedation and tachycardia, while contributing analgesic, anti-emetic, and anti-carcinogenic properties in its own right. In modern clinical trials, this has permitted the administration of higher doses of THC, providing evidence for clinical efficacy and safety for cannabis based extracts in treatment of spasticity, central pain and lower urinary tract symptoms in multiple sclerosis, as well as sleep disturbances, peripheral neuropathic pain, brachial plexus avulsion symptoms, rheumatoid arthritis and intractable cancer pain. Prospects for future application of whole cannabis extracts in neuroprotection, drug dependency, and neoplastic disorders are further examined. The hypothesis that the combination of THC and CBD increases clinical efficacy while reducing adverse events is supported

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey TJo, I'm kind of like you. Haven't used cannabis in many years. It's illegal here, too, etc.

Coincidentally, last week I was many shells into a kava afternoon, cleaning out some old drawers full of stuff and came across a bag with a tiny amount of OG diesel shake. Like, smaller than a pea. So I thought what the heck, I'll smoke it like old times.

Oh. My. Gosh. Having no tolerance is a powerful thing. I was baked. Strong body buzz right away, followed by a couchlock that was unlike any kava couchlock. It was... couchlock without the mellow. Couchlock with energy. Even with anxiety. Honestly, it was fun for 30 minutes and then just sort of unpleasant.

So here's my honest opinion: if you are a regular bud smoker, kava won't hurt you. If you are a cannabis lightweight and already full of kava, don't fire up a roach with a high THC strain--you will feel bad.

Kava and cannabis seem to potentiate each other, especially if you have no tolerance. I think high CBD / low THC strains may complement kava better. Cannabis could help stave off kava-induced nausea. The way cannabis enhances appreciation of music could synergize well with kava, as long as you want to listen to music instead of the kava. A cannabis buzz will completely overpower the nice feel of a heady kava, however, and it can completely kill a good meditative heavy krunk with a weird antsy, energized feeling.
When I first started drinking kava I thought it had no effect on how one perceives music, but I was wrong. It has a profound effect, just one I wasn't used to, and it was something I had to learn, and learn how to appreciate. Over time I have learned to really really enjoy what kava has to offer in music enhancement.

Status
Not open for further replies.