What's new

Anyone want some Nambawan

A

Adriano

Hello everyone. I've been trying to expand my kava experiences with some good and some not so good experiences. One that I didn't like was nambawan which was a real bummer because it was super expensive. Tried it once and now have almost a pound of this 'stuff' that I'm sure I won't be using again. Also have almost a couple of pounds of some kava.com kava. With theirs too I was swayed by their glowing description which didn't pan out for me. This kava also smelled unlike any of the other kavas I've tried (quite unpleasant). Maybe there's someone who likes one or both of these. Otherwise i guess they'll make nice planter soil.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wow, that's awful that you weren't impressed by Nambawan. I'm sure someone here will gladly take it off your hands. I wonder if maybe Judd could have gotten a bad batch. Every bag of it I've gotten tasted as close to fresh squeezed kava as I've ever found with a powdered type kava.

Ryan Hovis

Kava Curious
I'm a newbie when it comes to kava. I've only tried Waka kava and another brand from noble kava. Since I'm on a tight budget I would love to get ahold of this and see how it goes. I can post of my review once I give it a go.

A

Adriano

I don't know if it was a bad batch but I do know they didn't post my review at their website. Maybe someone wants to trade me for something
they don't particularly like. From the reviews and the way they talked about it on the website I took a chance and spent enough to buy almost 3 pounds of kavaboy( which I like). What a waste! And the kava.com, whatever that stuff was, was actually better but not much and it just smelled aweful.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kava.com is know to be tudei, and in general has a bad reputation, but Nambawan is supposed to be good stuff. What exactly did you not like about it?

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I wouldn't give up on the nambawan just yet. Kava can be finnicky. I get different results depending on lots of reasons, unbeknownst to me. I'd give it another whirl or two, if I were you. Nambawan's good stuff. Are you drinking kava to relax? Or for pain? Anxiety?I could understand if you feel it doesn't suit your needs, but other than that, I find this stuff to be great kava

D

Deleted User01

After the Cyclone, I think we can expect a big variation in the quality of kava coming from the storm stricken Islands. I hope this isn't the canary in the coal mine.

A

Adriano

Verticity, I didn't know the kava.com was tudei. I guess I've never had the misfortune to drink that before. I usually get the melo melo but
they dont seem to carry that anymore, at least its been months. So I tried the Nambawan. Uggh it just made me feel like caca dodo from the
start. I kept waiting for the familiar stages of kava and, at first nothing. Then just a very strong 'dragged down' heavy feeling that was in no
way relaxing or pleasant. I've had waka, melo melo, koniak and instant from BLH and they were all good in their different ways but this time it
wasn't fun. But thanks to the kindness of people here I learned about kavaboy which I really like and i had some of that but not until a couple of days with no kava had passed so I could get the nambawan experience out of me completely. I will never ever try that stuff again. Oh and it did smell and taste just fine and was the consistency and color that people describe it as having. Maybe it was just me not liking it but there have been other kavas that I don't like 'as much as others' but I still use them (mix them in with my favorites to use them up sometimes.
August, I drink kava to relax feel good before bed. But I also discovered that it really does help with chronic pain, which I have and I've found its happiness effect seems to help during the day as well. And I only drink it about 1.5 to 2 hours before bed.

A

Adriano

Forgot to add, that before I bought it I said to myself, well, its more $ than GHK's Moi and I know that that's stuff is great. but I'll guess I'll never know how 'great' Nambawan is if I don't try it' So kicking myself now. Thanks very much for the comments. Its really great to have this forum. And thank goodness for Hawaiian kava!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
That's a strange reaction to Nambawan, being that you like Kavaboy, it seems like Nambawan would be your style.
Even stranger that you've been fine with Koniak as well as Kavaboy, which are pretty close to being on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd try it once or twice more, perhaps it will begin to behave properly. If it doesn't, they you might have a personal bio-chemical aversion to something in it...or perhaps you just got a bad, tainted or moldy batch?!

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah that is odd. Nambawan has been fabulous everytime I've ordered it. You felt dragged down from it? That's opposite of my reaction. Koniak sure turns me into a rug though..

A

Adriano

Koniak turns me into a rug too. But the nambawan's dragged down feeling wasn't like that. It was very unpleasant, not relaxing in a good way.
I don't think its strange at all to be fine with koniak and kavaboy. I did not say that I found their effects to be similar. I said i was fine with those two. I happen to prefer kavaboy though. But there is no way I will ever give nambawan another try. That was a lot of money to loose.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe you had too much too fast, with the nambawan. It is quite potent. I know that when I don't space out my shells enough, the negative side effects rear their ugly head rather quickly. If I had the funds i'd snatch it up, but Chris at GHK has earned my patronage tenfold, for the foreseeable future.

Weioo

Kava Curious
I'm a bit of a newbie but I got my batch of Nambawan in last week. I can't say it's a whole lot stronger than the Vanuatu I got from realkava.com but I noticed it's (excuse me for lack of better terminology) making me piss out of my ass. Had it once last week and it happened. Took a few days break and felt better... Had it again yesterday and feeling it again today. :(

Now I have some pretty bad digestive issues... Hiatal hernia, take omeprazole daily to keep acid down, etc.

Not sure what it is but if it happens a 3rd time, I'm blaming it on and done with Nambawan, lol.

Last edited:

Jade

Love. Like. Crazy.
Hmmm...I received some Nambawan on March 13th and I thought it was some pretty good stuff. I tend to have a sensitive system that lets me know if anything is off. Maybe it was a different batch??

A

Adriano

Sorry Weioo. Your post reminded me of something I didn't mention which was I did feel yucky the next day and into the 3nd after mine. Until this happened I was always looking forward to the evenings when I'd have some kava. But for the past few days I just haven't felt like having any.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Sorry Weioo. Your post reminded me of something I didn't mention which was I did feel yucky the next day and into the 3nd after mine. Until this happened I was always looking forward to the evenings when I'd have some kava. But for the past few days I just haven't felt like having any.
May I suggest that you send a sample of this batch to @Deleted User ? He should be able to tell if there is anything wrong with it (any kind of impurity, etc)

August West

Kava Enthusiast
From what I recall, nambawan is a rather fine grind. You could either double up on your filtration, or you can give your batch a gentle swirl or two without disturbing all of the sediment at the bottom and scoop your shell from the top of the mix. Some folks drink it down to just above the sludge at the bottom. I on the other hand have just come to terms with the occasional stomach discomfort and drink it all.

If I allow my grog to settle overnight, I can see three distinct layers. The grit at the bottom, the brown goo that sits on the grit, and the tan colored water on top. When I'm feeling nauseous, I just gently attempt to mix the top two layers and leave the particulate matter for tomorrow.

A

Adriano

It was far from just stomach disomfort though. Just reading the post and being reminded of the experience was unpleasant so i'm not going near that stuff again.