What's new

Apparently I HAD been doing it wrong....

Huebras

Kava Newbie
All,

Just wanted to write you guys and gals an update. If you have read any of my other posts, you know that I struggled for a long, long time with RT. When I finally broke through, the only kava I ever felt an effect from was from a cheap micronized kava I got off of Amazon that I would have to drink without straining (1/2 cup YUCK). I ordered other medium grain brands promoted on this forum thinking that a traditional prep would be better, while they tasted much better, but they never seemed to work. I was perplexed. I tried blending it, soaking it in milk, soaking in cold water overnight, everything I had read about preparing kava EXCEPT following the directions on the bag. The bag said to soak it in hot water for five minutes before kneading. What? Everything I has read said that hot water was bad for kavaloactones and not to do that, or that hot water was no different than cold in the prep. Yesterday, I said what the hell, it can't hurt to try. I soaked it in hot water for 5 minutes and started kneading. I noticed a difference right away. With every knead, the water not only changed color like before but seemed to get thicker and my hands felt a little slimy. This was different. And different it was. Oh my goodness, I finally learned what good kava was all about, I was just doing it wrong.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case anyone else was encountering the same.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
All,

Just wanted to write you guys and gals an update. If you have read any of my other posts, you know that I struggled for a long, long time with RT. When I finally broke through, the only kava I ever felt an effect from was from a cheap micronized kava I got off of Amazon that I would have to drink without straining (1/2 cup YUCK). I ordered other medium grain brands promoted on this forum thinking that a traditional prep would be better, while they tasted much better, but they never seemed to work. I was perplexed. I tried blending it, soaking it in milk, soaking in cold water overnight, everything I had read about preparing kava EXCEPT following the directions on the bag. The bag said to soak it in hot water for five minutes before kneading. What? Everything I has read said that hot water was bad for kavaloactones and not to do that, or that hot water was no different than cold in the prep. Yesterday, I said what the hell, it can't hurt to try. I soaked it in hot water for 5 minutes and started kneading. I noticed a difference right away. With every knead, the water not only changed color like before but seemed to get thicker and my hands felt a little slimy. This was different. And different it was. Oh my goodness, I finally learned what good kava was all about, I was just doing it wrong.

Let me truly welcome you to kava. Once you know, you know :)

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
All,

Yea, hot water is really the way to go. I always prep mine using the hottest water my tap can go. If you add boiling water to it, you get a really strange texture going that makes it hard to squeeze out. Anyhoo, hot tap water really allows those kavalactone oils to come seeping out. If you want to up your game, shake out all the dust before you mix the kava and water. I outline my prep here:

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-grog-the-cactus-kava-way.6876/

EQ

Atman
All,

I use 2/3 hot water from the tap and 1/3 boiling water for whatever volume. Let it soak for like 10 minutes. Knead it and boom.

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
I have digital kettle. Used to use 140 F but sometimes use 120 F. It tastes better with cold water but I guess hot water works better. sometimes i use the blender then knead. I like the Cactus Kava shake prep.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm curious where people are encountering this hot water advice? Is it on here? Because the general trend of thought here has been hot water for a long time.