What's new

Kava Preparation Basic Kava Preparation

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
My prep used to be more complicated, but now it's basically just:

1. Soak ground root until mixed and wet. Probably like 5 minutes, or for coarser grinds like KWK Borongoru, 10 minutes.
2. Squeeze the living fuck out of it for 15 minutes until my forearms are on fire.
3. Drink.

I notice no difference from more complicated prep procedures involving lecithin, other fats, blending in a blender, etc. I tend to use warm water to get the lipids moving a little, but I don't think even that matters. I've used room temperature water with pretty much the same results. I've used boiling water with the same results, though the resulting grog is a little slimier.

So I'm with @blindy107, those aren't necessarily hard and fast rules that seem to bear out any optimality but rather common suggestions that make some sense, but may not actually matter.

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
I usually blend in hot water and let sit for 5+min before moving to step 2, the only thing I've been doing differently lately is adding a chunk of ginger root to the blender, it seems to curb nausea singnificantly. Sometimes I squeeze with the other hand, it makes it feel like someone else is doing it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I usually blend in hot water and let sit for 5+min before moving to step 2, the only thing I've been doing differently lately is adding a chunk of ginger root to the blender, it seems to curb nausea singnificantly.
Another bit of anecdotal evidence suggesting someone should begin carrying kava mixed with a bit of ginger powder. @Judd Rench :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wow, yeah. I have a feeling this could be done much more cheaply at home. Still would be a novel product for any of our vendors here to carry, just as long as it doesn't approach Wakaya's pricing.