What's new

Best kava for a beginner?

A

Acebeans

Hey Guys,

I've never had the chance to try Kava although I've read a good bit about it. I've tried other herbs like K@ and just about everything you could think of.

I'm looking for something to wind down with in the evenings. Something that is a big time stress reliver and can help with sleep. I was looking at Boroguru from Bula Kava House but I am open to all suggestions.

Also how does reverse tolerance work? Most people can expect that there first dose won't be that effective?

Thanks guys, really looking forward to trying this out.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Boroguru is an excellent choice for the purpose you described. If you end up ordering from BKH, I recommend tossing in one of their fijian kava strainers as well, and consider adding a more heady kava such as melomelo for some variety if that interests you.

Reverse tolerance is pretty common. Your first few experiences, you won't feel much of anything, or so they say. I went through the same thing, but I wonder how much of it was just me preparing it incorrectly. Make sure to read up on proper prep methods, you need to really blend/knead/roll the kava for a few minutes in order to end up with a good batch.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Boroguru is good. It's sort of an intermediate kava but perfectly fine as a beginner kava. You may also want to take a look at Borogu. It's more straight forward and simple in terms of effects and just a notch or two under Boroguru. It's a middle of the road in the slow lane sort of experience. If you can drink borogu and get over the pungent dirty pepper taste, most of the other kavas will be easy-peasy to drink.

In my opinion Boroguru taste nicer than Borogu. Depending on who you ask thought, that isn't saying much.:D

A

Acebeans

Thanks guys. I will get some of the bags to strain with. I am going to prepare it in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin then strain through the bags. How much of this would be a good starting point dosage wise?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
If you're going to do the bag method? More than 2 tbsp. To get past any reverse tolerance you might want to start with a higher dosage to begin with.

Oh I donno.....3-4 un-leveled Tbsp. Then you can adjust up or down to suit you.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
The only two kavas we sell that I wouldn't recommend for a beginner are Nambawan and Koniak. They may be overwhelming. All the others are great and vary in potency and effect. Just depends on what you like. As for dosage, you should drink 2-3 6-8 oz. servings. Traditionally kava is made using a lot of root. Vekta is a notorious light weight. I'm pretty heavily affected by kava and 3-4 tbsp. wouldn't do much of anything for me, even when a lot of time and care is put into prep. Use 3-4 parts water to 1 part kava, volume wise. So two 8 oz. servings of kava should require at least a half cup of dry root. If you're somehow very sensitive to kava you'll know after the first shell and next time you prepare you can use less root.

Thanks for the business, and thank all the lovely contributors from this forum for referring folks to us. Without you we wouldn't be able to keep selling the best kava at fantastic prices.

Bula!

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
We love ya Judd! You rock! Nuff said on that...:D As many here know, I'm a Nambawan girl wholeheartedly, but I'm really diggin' the Fijian Waka in the lighter realm. The only strain I haven't tried is Melo Melo, I guess we know what I'm ordering this week along with a fresh bag of my beloved.;)