What's new

Best kavas to identify your kavalactone tastes

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
When I first started drinking kava I wanted to try one of every possible variation, but at first I really couldn't feel much difference, they were all roughly the same. Then I came to be able to distinguish the dhm vs. kavain kavas much more readily, but I figured that was about it in terms of differences, since those are the only ones people talk about. Now I recently tried Paradise's Fijian and was surprised that I couldn't identify what it was, it was different. According to his highness the prince, it's highest in methysticin. So I'm back to where I started, wanting to really get a feel for each.

So are there any other kavas out there that you can map back to the various kavalactone types? I'm looking for prominence here, so any time the other guys can take a back seat to the highest kavalactone, the better. Here is what I'm thinking so far for the best kavas to feel the various kavalactones... though I really have no idea what the contents are of each of these guys.

kavainI'm guessing that Fu'u would be a good one to experience what kavain feels like in your kava, since it's a very heady kava with little body effects. Paradise awa suggested by Buddhacide.

methysticinFijian is the only one I've heard of that is highest here. (Possibly KBR Tongan Pride via ObiWan below)
yangoninNo idea, may not be something available or desired?
dihydromethysticinBorogoru seems to me to be the one that most prominently features body effect, or possibly Chief's Jungle, without much head effect.
desmethoxyyangoninSay that five times fast. Does a kava exist that is all up in that?
dihydrokavainNone Apparently Borogoru! (so says mos3z below)

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
I think Tongan Pride vom Kava by Rex  is also highest in methysticin ("This A+ grade kava has a balanced Kavain content and more Methysticin than DHM")

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I believe dhk may act sort of like dhm but it's effects are either shorter acting/or not as strong. Maybe this is why kbr's waka feels somewhat like boruguru, but doesn't hang on as long. This is only a guess. I could be wrong.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
dihydrokavain is boroguru, its the first number in the chemotype, the 1st 3 numbers in order are dihydrokavain, kavain, dihydromethysticin

dihydromethysticinis also the first number in borogu with the dihydromethysticin with methysticin instead

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Where is is that you're seeing the numbers? I have never been successful at finding them on vendor sites.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Ah, found the answer myself... blog.

Borogu-246531

Boroguru-245613

Fu’u-465213

Melo Melo-Either 426135, or 426153. Not exactly sure to be honest, conflicting reports.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
yeah, i really wish all vendors would do that, i wonder if its expensive to get the chemotype done

hyperdown

Kava Curious
Nice idea, Ed!

Maybe you could add the "number" beside the 'lactone name in you first post there.

Also, here's some related info I've collected:

1 Demethoxy-yangonin (DMY)

2 Dihydrokavain (DHK)

3 Yangonin

4 Kavain

5 Dihydromethysticin (DHM)

6 Methysticin

Here are some other strains with chemotypes:

462351 or 465321 ? solomon island

465213 Fu'u from bu'la and tongan (kavabyrex)

463251: Papa Kea, Honokane'iki, Mo'i, Papa ele'ele,

462351: Hiwa, Kuma Kua, Mapulehu, Nene

246531: Isa

461235: Mahakea

423651: Hanakapi'ai

463215: Panaewa

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
if its not expensive I wonder if there would be people on here interested in chipping in to get chemotyping done on our favorite kavas, if there were enough people it probably wouldnt cost much. it would be cool to have a library of them