What's new

Blender bottle kava preperation?

Sean

I have read all the has to make kava on the FAQ page, and most seem to complicated to me. Has anybody ever used a blender bottle to make there's, essentially just a bottle where you would put the kava and water in and shake it to agitate it, opposed to kneading it. Any thoughts on is idea? What are some of the more experienced persons way of among a bowl of kava?

Sorry if my question is dumb or repetitive, thank you for the responses!!!!

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
just shaking it I guess would work...sort of.
Really all you need to do is put some in a strainer bag of some kind and knead the kava under the water like you would a ball of dough.

10-15 minutes and *poof* kava drink. ::happyshell::

You can stick it in an electric blender and blend the crap out a it for a couple minutes. That works pretty good.

Sean

That sounds soooo much easier than the ones I read.. Would you say 4 tbsp in 16 oz of water for a first timer, who weighs 200 lbs and is 6'1, is a good initial dose? And I read the reverse tolerance thread too.. should I consistently drink that much?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Normally I suggest to start with 1 or 2 tbsp and then go up. Some people try a brew a little on the thick side and end up getting a touch of nausea.

Maybe try 2 tbsp and see how you feel just to be on the cautious side. You can always throw another couple TBSP and try a second wash if you're feeling fine after that. Just umm...stay close to a bathroom. *whisper* it'll make ya weeee.::awesomesmiles::

Sean

Okay cool thank you!! I really do appreciate it. I ordered BHK mello mello and some other one, was thinking I was gonna try the mello mello first, looking to feel relaxed :headphones:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Yeah, try the 2 tbsp. Give it a half an hour or so and see how you feel then decided if you want to try a second watch with 2 more tbsp added.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I normally just eye ball it around 10 oz.

You can take exact measurements if you're trying to be as consistent as possible for whatever reason.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sean, a blender bottle won't work because kavalactones aren't water soluble. They must be forced to mix with water. (Well it might work if you shook the everloving hell out of it for 10 minutes, but you could do that with a blender instead).

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If you buy micronized or instant kava, you can just put it in a bottle and shake it up.
For regular ground root, it is as simple as Vekta said...Just put the powder in a nylon or fabric strainer and squeeze it in your bowl of water for while. If 2 or 4 Tbsp doesn't seem to be doing much, don't be afraid to bump up to 6 or 8 Tbsp. Do take notice of Vekta's tagline ( ;) )

Sean

Okay got it, using a nylon strainer seems like the route I will go. Thank you for all the input, read about kava kava in my medical surgical text book and that's actually what made me want to try it. Until finding this forum I had no idea how to actually make it or anything. It's great how nice everyone is on this forum

Sean

If you buy micronized or instant kava, you can just put it in a bottle and shake it up.
For regular ground root, it is as simple as Vekta said...Just put the powder in a nylon or fabric strainer and squeeze it in your bowl of water for while. If 2 or 4 Tbsp doesn't seem to be doing much, don't be afraid to bump up to 6 or 8 Tbsp. Do take notice of Vekta's tagline ( ;) )
Hahaha that is a good point, I personally have found whatever I have experimented with that I am rarely a lightweight. But considering what everyone's saying I'll take it a tablespoon at a time

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I haven't, but I suppose I should.

That's a classic haole style shaka right there, waving it around like that. :rolleyes:

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
Cool another Sean. Welcome!

Really all you need to do is put some in a strainer bag of some kind and knead the kava under the water like you would a ball of dough.
Yep. That's how I do it. Insert 2 or 3 spoon fulls of Kava into strainer. Tie off the end. Kneed/ring into luke warm water for 10 mins. Drink :)

D

Deleted User01

@Sean, make a giant batch of Kava and bottle it in 16 oz bottles with lock caps and put it in the fridge. That way you don't have to knead and squeeze every day.