What's new

Body weight and kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I will go even further and suggest that, in my opinion, kava intake may be dependent on where you are coming from with other drugs. I was on Klonopin quite heavily for six years and really feel like it takes more to "breakthrough" whatever damage I did. I definitely feel repair and renewal happening, but I am tall and thin and might possibly consider myself a total heavyweight after reading some people's intake amounts.
I used to use drugs quite heavily. This was years before I found kava, but it certainly feels like there is repair and renewal going on in my body as well. I think maybe certain pathways in our brains are damaged (or something along that line) and kava slowly repairs the damage while helping spiritually as well.

Mira

Kava Curious
It is true that kavalactones are fat-soluble, not water soluble, but I don't think they are actually "stored" in body fat. That is, I have not seen any scientific source saying that happens.

Kava can definitely have an appetite suppressing effect that goes beyond just the bad taste. It seems to actually have some effect on the brain that makes you not want to eat very much after you drink it. However, on the other hand, I find that with certain strains, such as Mo'i, I actually sometimes get the "muchies" after drinking kava. So the appetite suppression is not really consistent, i.e. it's not like a magic weight loss herb or something....

All the Kalm with Kava varieties are good. To make specific recommendations we would need to know what you hope to get out of kava. Anxiety relief? Depression relief? Sedation? Recreation?
That is somewhat odd if it is the case. Should be fairly easy to test for those with the proper tools, a biopsy of fat (I'd gladly offer some blobs), and analyse that for kavalactones. Another thing that goes on my google list for when I get curious about things :)

Yeah, I am not seeing weight loss as an effect I prioritize. For my sake it is more a matter of being aware of what strains might make things worse, and at least not start out with those. I am not particularly bothered by being fat, but I figure I am chunky enough.

Acutely? Whatever can help me sleep would be what is first in line to be tested out. I have had minimal with sleep the last weeks, part due to severe stress, part due to that my brain just seems to be stuck in "awake". It happens from time to time, and it messes up everything.

Longer term, pain relief will be my main priority in the winter. I have very tense muscles due to a error in my spine, and decades of stress. Anxiety, I am not diagnosed there, but I would not be surprised if I "qualify". I figure that anything that helps for general relaxation also helps for anxiety. It is a lesser priority than pain management, but it would not harm if it knocked out the rabid hamsters in my head.

I am, for now, not seeking out "daytime/work kavas". I am perfectly fine with focusing on finding something to use once or twice pr week just to go to bed and stay there until it fades. So remove pain, and make me sleepy enough for that I manage to sleep. I am still waiting for the shipping (I am in Europe), but of the KVK ones, it seems like Togan and Borongoru seems likely to be best to put in the drawer for a bit and wait until I actually want to be awake, and Vanuatu should be a decent place to start. The Fiji one seems interesting, but in small doses if so.

I've tried three out of four kalm with kava varieties. Loa Waka is hands down my favorite. It really does depend on what you are looking for and how your body reacts to different strains. I've found kava, especially the more balanced or heavy varieties to be great for pain, especially muscle pain. Works wonders for my Fibromyalgia. Doesn't do much for my arthritis. I find all strains reduce my appetite. I could probably go a few days without eating if I was drinking kava, but I know that isn't good for me. I would suggest being careful with the paracetomenatal (i call it tylenol), ibuprofen, and codeine with kava. I have migraines as well, and I know when you need it you need it. One of my headache medicines contains tylenol as well. Unfortunately I have to get a prescription for mine, and I can't even get the formula with codeine which would be more effective, but I digress. These are metabolized by the same liver enzymes as kava, so mixing them can put a strain on your liver. It hasn't caused me any ill effects, but I like for people to be able to make an informed decision about any possible interactions. Asprin is metabolized differently, but for some reason drug companies love putting tylenol in there even when it's shown to be toxic to your liver on its own in high enough doses.
Yeah, I will be spacing it out quite a lot. At very least give it 24 hours between, but knowing myself right it will be a rarity that I go under 72 hours apart. I guess I am lucky, my usage of painkillers in general is rather uneven. One month I can end up having to use quite a bit, and then it is months until I even touch it. I primarily use ibuprofen/codeine, paracetamol/codeine is more as a emergency thing (it works faster for me). I also use liberal amounts of turmeric, it actually seems to work on joint pains in a whole different way than other things I use. I am not overly concerned, but it is definitively something to be aware of.

How does the Fiji Vaka compares for you to the Vanuatu one? It seems likely that I am ending up with one, or both, of them at least.

verticity

I'm interested in things
That is somewhat odd if it is the case. Should be fairly easy to test for those with the proper tools, a biopsy of fat (I'd gladly offer some blobs), and analyse that for kavalactones. Another thing that goes on my google list for when I get curious about things :)

Yeah, I am not seeing weight loss as an effect I prioritize. For my sake it is more a matter of being aware of what strains might make things worse, and at least not start out with those. I am not particularly bothered by being fat, but I figure I am chunky enough.

Acutely? Whatever can help me sleep would be what is first in line to be tested out. I have had minimal with sleep the last weeks, part due to severe stress, part due to that my brain just seems to be stuck in "awake". It happens from time to time, and it messes up everything.

Longer term, pain relief will be my main priority in the winter. I have very tense muscles due to a error in my spine, and decades of stress. Anxiety, I am not diagnosed there, but I would not be surprised if I "qualify". I figure that anything that helps for general relaxation also helps for anxiety. It is a lesser priority than pain management, but it would not harm if it knocked out the rabid hamsters in my head.

I am, for now, not seeking out "daytime/work kavas". I am perfectly fine with focusing on finding something to use once or twice pr week just to go to bed and stay there until it fades. So remove pain, and make me sleepy enough for that I manage to sleep. I am still waiting for the shipping (I am in Europe), but of the KVK ones, it seems like Togan and Borongoru seems likely to be best to put in the drawer for a bit and wait until I actually want to be awake, and Vanuatu should be a decent place to start. The Fiji one seems interesting, but in small doses if so.

Yeah, I will be spacing it out quite a lot. At very least give it 24 hours between, but knowing myself right it will be a rarity that I go under 72 hours apart. I guess I am lucky, my usage of painkillers in general is rather uneven. One month I can end up having to use quite a bit, and then it is months until I even touch it. I primarily use ibuprofen/codeine, paracetamol/codeine is more as a emergency thing (it works faster for me). I also use liberal amounts of turmeric, it actually seems to work on joint pains in a whole different way than other things I use. I am not overly concerned, but it is definitively something to be aware of.

How does the Fiji Vaka compares for you to the Vanuatu one? It seems likely that I am ending up with one, or both, of them at least.
For help sleeping and pain relief I would recommend the Borogoru from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava.

Mira

Kava Curious
For help sleeping and pain relief I would recommend the Borogoru from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava.
Thanks, hopefully they get it in again, if not I'll check it out from other suppliers :)

The Nene also does a good job for sleep and pain relief!
Hm, had not looked into that one before. Looks like it might be a decent match, and gourmethawaiiankava has instants of it (I am contemplating to get some chocolate from there anyways, would be damn handy if it worked.) Thanks for the tip :)

nosuni

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, hopefully they get it in again, if not I'll check it out from other suppliers :)

Hm, had not looked into that one before. Looks like it might be a decent match, and gourmethawaiiankava has instants of it (I am contemplating to get some chocolate from there anyways, would be damn handy if it worked.) Thanks for the tip :)
Please note that the nene does not have powerful cerebral effects, it's mostly in the body. It's very very short lasting but very useful for pain, including headaches and muscle stiffness. It's also useful for sleep, very mellow.

Mira

Kava Curious
Please note that the nene does not have powerful cerebral effects, it's mostly in the body. It's very very short lasting but very useful for pain, including headaches and muscle stiffness. It's also useful for sleep, very mellow.
If it worked that way for me, it would actually been ideal in a lot of settings. Sounds like it could be something to have in mind for periods where I work a lot, and need something to just reduce the pains enough so I can sleep. "Knockouts" will be a luxury once or twice pr month anyways.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I started drinking kava at 205 lbs. and 10 months later I'm down to 161 lbs. (It's amazing what giving up the alcohol does to your metabolism!). I've not changed my dose and haven't noticed a difference in the kavas effect before or after the weight loss.
Ftr this was the post that really changed my life. Early on it told me what to expect so I wouldn't freak out, but just enjoy it. This is basically what happened to me, though I am 8 months along and at 167, but basically, yeah, it's my story and this post meant a lot to me when I was at the beginning of the journey and all along. Thanks, @Sam Handwich , wherever you are, this post really made a huge difference to me and made my life a lot better.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Ftr this was the post that really changed my life. Early on it told me what to expect so I wouldn't freak out, but just enjoy it. This is basically what happened to me, though I am 8 months along and at 167, but basically, yeah, it's my story and this post meant a lot to me when I was at the beginning of the journey and all along. Thanks, @Sam Handwich , wherever you are, this post really made a huge difference to me and made my life a lot better.
So many lives have been touched by Sam Handwich...

Status
Not open for further replies.