What's new

Borogu Vs. Boroguru Vs. Boronguru: The Definitive Thread

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I am starting this thread because like usual, I DO NOT HAVE AN ANSWER! If replying to this thread please indicate whether you are telling us the botanical differences or the difference from a consumer's perspective. Thanks!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Borogu and Borogoru are two Vanuatu cultivars. Borongoru, some label-changed variant of Borogoru? I believe "Boroguru" is a misspelled Borogoru.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Vanuatu has 100 different languages, name variations show up even in different parts of the same island.
Different islands will sometimes grow a plant with the same or similar name and it will have somewhat different effects.
For general purposes, Borogu is a popular everyday kava that's a bit more on the heady side and Borogoru is typically a stronger body-load/sedating kind of kava. I've never found many references to BoroNgoru online, but to me it feels more like a very good Borogu...or a slightly stronger version of the Melo Melo I got from Kule'a Farm Kava.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Not really. The cultivar names supplied by growers, suppliers, and vendors are often chosen more for marketing than accuracy. Products of the same name tend to vary widely, so it's best to judge a kava on its own merits and the reputation of the vendor.
This is true. Each says something. "Borongoru" means KWK, "Boroguru" means either GHK or BKH. Borogu, I think KWK too, but I dunno where people get most of their Borogu.

D

Deleted User01

BKH vs GHK. I would assume that the kavas are about the same. I think TrueKava as a good comparison in their Acetone Test Results ....

Ok, I just reviewed them and it would appear that the GHK Boroguru is higher on the Nobility chart. This goes hand and hand with GHKs determination to sell only 100 percent Noble Kava. Chris is kinda picky that way. You really have to get after the Vendors in Vanuatu to make sure they sell you 100 percent unblended Kava. It's kinda sad, but the devastation caused by the typhoon will only worsen the situation.

The guy that should answer your question is @Kapmcrunk. To me, he is the Boroguru expert whereas I'm not really a fan of that type of kava.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
My 2-cents-- In their 2014 book Buveurs de Kava Patricia Simeoni and Vincent Lebot use these spellings- Borogou is synonymous with borogorou, gorogoro, gorgor.
By-the-Way, this is a great book! Both of these researchers will be at the "Kava 2015" conference on the Hawaiian Island of O'ahu this July.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
My 2-cents-- In their 2014 book Buveurs de Kava Patricia Simeoni and Vincent Lebot use these spellings- Borogou is synonymous with borogorou, gorogoro, gorgor.
By-the-Way, this is a great book! Both of these researchers will be at the "Kava 2015" conference on the Hawaiian Island of O'ahu this July.
I will try to get my library to order it! Thanks for reminding me about this book. It sounds great!

verticity

I'm interested in things
I will try to get my library to order it! Thanks for reminding me about this book. It sounds great!
It's in French FYI. "Kava Drinkers". I don't think an English translation is available. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I hope you'll be sharing any snippets of that book you find particularly interesting with the rest of the class!