What's new

Botanical blend cautions kava shouldn't be taken 4-6 weeks straight.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I was shopping for some botanical products, and one was a blend of about a half dozen plants, including kava.
And it gave this exact warning :
"Products containing Piper Methysticum should not be used more than 4-6 weeks straight without a 1 week break"

I have never heard anyone around here talk about that practice. Can anyone tell me why anyone would warn against that ?
I feel pretty sure that if I were to call the vendor who made the statement, they would not answer the question, but rather
give the typical reply "We cannot give medical advice out, or say anything further".

Is this belief part of that outdated and inaccurate testing that concluded that "kava is really bad for your liver" ?
Or could there be any merit to the warning ?

If you all prefer, and it's not against the rules, I can give a link to the product and its description.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I was shopping for some botanical products, and one was a blend of about a half dozen plants, including kava.
"Products containing Piper Methysticum should not be used more than 4-6 weeks straight without a 1 week break"

I have never heard anyone around here talk about that practice. Can anyone tell me why anyone would warn against that ?
I feel pretty sure that if I were to call the vendor who made the statement, they would not answer the question, but rather
give the typical reply "We cannot give medical advice out, or say anything further".

Is this belief part of that outdated and inaccurate testing that concluded that "kava is really bad for your liver" ?

If you all prefer, and it's not against the rules, I can give a link to the product and its description.
So they give advice, with no reasoning, that presumably is medical device since what other reason would there be to stop taking something and take a break but then claim they can't give medical advice. Clearly sounds like they talked to a lawyer are giving themselves legal cover. This way if someone has even a idiosyncratic liver issue and they drank it longer than the 6 week time frame then they can claim they are not responsible.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

I've seen this recommendation. I've also never seen the source of it. I think it was just a vendor who used this phrase and it caught on with other vendors thinking it would lower their liability. It could also be the longest they've given kava to anyone in a clinical setting, therefore anything past 6 weeks couldn't be "recommended".

Zaphod

Kava Lover
It's proprably good advice dermo wise... it happens from demo
Maybe. It certainly took longer than 6 weeks of daily drinking before I first got hit with dermo - but I am not sure taking a 1 week break in between would keep it at bay. Once it hits it can take upwards of two weeks off to get back to normal. Not to say taking a break every now and then is a bad thing, but I am not sure it would really benefit you either if you are a daily drinker the other six weeks.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Maybe. It certainly took longer than 6 weeks of daily drinking before I first got hit with dermo - but I am not sure taking a 1 week break in between would keep it at bay. Once it hits it can take upwards of two weeks off to get back to normal. Not to say taking a break every now and then is a bad thing, but I am not sure it would really benefit you either if you are a daily drinker the other six weeks.
These are logical assertions. Our plain old drink the friggin water and don't consume the floaty makas works too.

The point about not being able to give health advice and then recommending a practice is a good point too. When I first found kava, my friend was telling me to take an enzyme or herb for my liver. Upon further investigation I decided that was silly.

I speculate this vendor is indeed worried about liver reports or other health reports. Many have been paranoid when first starting kava that whatever is going on with them at the time could be the kava! I've done this! I had hives as a newbie and thought it was the dermo lol. Luckily the urgent care person firmly told me no way is it the root, that it was obviously my body wash. :hilarious:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I speculate this vendor is indeed worried about liver reports or other health reports. Many have been paranoid when first starting kava that whatever is going on with them at the time could be the kava! I've done this! I had hives as a newbie and thought it was the dermo lol. Luckily the urgent care person firmly told me no way is it the root, that it was obviously my body wash. :hilarious:
So I'm thinking that this misconception by the vendor is an indication he/she knows very little about botanicals, and therefore probably not a good idea to buy from them, because who knows what you're really getting, because they may not even know ?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
So I'm thinking that this misconception by the vendor is an indication he/she knows very little about botanicals, and therefore probably not a good idea to buy from them, because who knows what you're really getting, because they may not even know ?
My thoughts exactly! I was thinking I'd be more concerned about the other stuff they put in that extract. Sure, their concern is specifically with kava, but the blend "master" (if the title is even appropriate) clearly did 10 seconds of reading on kava, threw it in, slapped a warning to cover their sorry behind, and hoped it would sell like hot cakes.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think it makes sense for heavy use, krunkin' and such. But there's enough people who have their daily shell or two for years on end without any problems that I think it probably only applies to heavy use, above 12 TB/day and/or getting heavy krunk all the time.