What's new

Kava Physiology Burning through medium grind

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
So, I have an issue... I'm past RT, well and truly, but I've been burning through medium grind like a mofo. I'm not sure if it's my straining method (cotton cloth), or the fact that I usually only do two washes, or whether I'm used to any particular cultivar. I just went though a pound of KWK Loa Waka in just over three days. It came in on Thursday, and I ran out earlier today.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'm wondering if maybe I used a looser weave strainer, perhaps it would be more effective?

The weird part is, a half pound of micronized will last me almost two weeks, whereas I've repeatedly gone through medium grind really quick. The last time I got a half pound of KWK Pouni Ono medium grind, I went through it in just under two days...

I feel like I'm doing it wrong... perhaps if I got an aluball (been seeing good reviews of that lately), I would get more out of it... going to continue getting micronized for now just because it lasts longer for me...

Any corroborating anecdotal evidence would be appreciated. :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Cotton cloth is probably the culprit. Especially if it's t-shirt thickness. Gotta use nylons, or paint strainer bags, or other bags that get recommended around here. I burn through it too, but that's because my body requires high doses to really feel it. If 1/2 lb micro lasts you almost 2 weeks then a pound of medium grind should last you roughly the same amount of time.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Cotton cloth is probably the culprit. Especially if it's t-shirt thickness. Gotta use nylons, or paint strainer bags, or other bags that get recommended around here. I burn through it too, but that's because my body requires high doses to really feel it. If 1/2 lb micro lasts you almost 2 weeks then a pound of medium grind should last you roughly the same amount of time.
It is exactly that, actually, it's a torn off section of an old (but clean) white t-shirt.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into some of the bags that are recommended here... I did once and came to the conclusion that like a 100 micron would work well for me, but then never went through with ordering it...

Onward to being more economical with my kava!

verticity

I'm interested in things
You can just get some knee high stockings. They are cheap, and work the best in my opinion. I think @shakas is correct; a cotton t-shirt will just not be porous enough. Or, if you order from Cactus Kava, he sends you a really nice 80 micron bag with your order.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Why not try an Aluball? It seems to keep the amount I use in check while still fitting enough root in it to satisfy me.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I agree with the alu ball and also getting a nice 100 micron paint strainer or so.... i find the fijians with too small of microns allways just pushs the kava up to the top of the bag when kneading it...

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
Hey, some people like to prepare kava the old school way. But! The Aluball is like THE way to test your prep.
Take the leftover root from a conventional prep, and run it thru the Aluball. If you get some potent grog, then you know your traditional prep method isn't extracting all the goodness.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I agree with the alu ball and also getting a nice 100 micron paint strainer or so.... i find the fijians with too small of microns allways just pushs the kava up to the top of the bag when kneading it...
I think paint strainers have much larger holes than 100 microns, something like 600 microns I think. A nut milk bag would be about 100 (some are 300 though)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I tried the traditional prep method, but prefer to toss it all in the blender for a couple minutes, then I use this wonderful stainless strainer I picked up on Amazon, I think any adequate metal strainer would be a good addition, just make sure it's extra fine.

And BTW, I go through about a pound of med grind a week, but to me it is worth every penny..

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
wow the pieces of the puzzle just came together. at the end of my r.t i switched from a piece of t shirt to a nylon sock. also decided that that is the only use for nylon socks unless i develop a sweaty feet fetish

verticity

I'm interested in things
wow the pieces of the puzzle just came together. at the end of my r.t i switched from a piece of t shirt to a nylon sock. also decided that that is the only use for nylon socks unless i develop a sweaty feet fetish
Um... you mean nylon women's stockings like this, right?
Amazon product
Not men's nylon socks like this:
Amazon product
Right?
The men's socks I would not expect to work very well for straining.

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
well i cant compare them but they are quite thin and keep the plant parts in and the grog in the grog. the stocking i tried let more root trough so i use this.

verticity

I'm interested in things
well i cant compare them but they are quite thin and keep the plant parts in and the grog in the grog. the stocking i tried let more root trough so i use this.
OK, well if it works well that's cool. I actually use two layers of stockings for that same reason: to keep the makas out of the grog.