What's new

Can I hear from those who max out at one shell?

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Hey friends, just wondering about others like me.
I can drink a fair dose of kava, but only in one go (that's one giant shell a day, not multiple shells over a couple hour session). If I try and top up or even drink 12 hours later, the nausea hits me like a bomb. Next day I'm fresh and ready to go again. Until recently I was pushing an afternoon kava as well, but after being in denial for some time I'm finally admitting it's making me ill, and I've dropped that afternoon drink (for the most part, I keep hoping something will shift).

For those who experience/have experienced kava this way, how long do you need to wait before your next refuel? Do you drink medium grind or other? Has this experience changed over time, and were you able to attribute a cause to the change? Don't really need to hear nausea remedies on this one, I've tried everything.

I do need what is considered a decent dose to get an effect; 4tbsp of micro for a mild lift. I'd like to take more, but can't get it down in one go and get sick if I try and space the shells. I've been drinking for 3 years now, and feel like it's unlikely the nausea is going anywhere. I have tried multiple medium grinds prepped multiple ways, and just couldn't get effects at all. There is a possibility my GABA receptors are in a funk from years of benzos.

I can't help but longingly dream of multiple sessions where I don't have to get down the soupy root in one go. I love kava so much, but I feel like we're not working efficiently together.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Bummer but if that works for you then maybe that's what you need to do? I've tried lots of different ways over the 3 years I've been drinking kava and found lately that I can be happy with a relatively small dose mixed into quite a lot of liquid and drink over 2 to 3 hours. The obvious thing for me is that 4 tablespoons of micro in one go would give me serious nausea but if you've tried medium grind and can't get on with it then you're on limited options. One question though, have you tried instant? Instant is a lot less likely to give you serious nausea and the prices are getting more and more competitive with med grind. Two I would recommend trying are the Vanuatu Green from BKH if you like heady. Buy in bulk you should be able to get it for $0.40 a gram. The other one is the instant from root of happiness which is potent and heavy. The ROH is my favourite instant ever. That should come in at a similar price if you buy in bulk to cut down the impact of postage. Try 2 teaspoons of either of those spaced out over some time. I'd be surprised if you didn't get effects and I'd be surprised if it gave you major nausea.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
What I would try? A classic exposure training.

Find the largest amount of weak kava made from medium grind that doesn't make you nauseous. A homeopathic shot glass if that is what it takes. Drink a 100 ml shell in the morning then forget about it, go about your day. Do what you normally do, drink your regular big gulp of micro or whatever.

Once you have a solid baseline, small amount of weak kava, with no problems, gradually titrate up both strength and amount, but if any nausea appears, ratchet back down to a no nausea level, and try again in a few days. Now, this may take some time, could even take months just to work you up to a single proper shell. But the odds of it working, and the failure of other attempts, should make it worth a try.

Summer

mercy triumphs over judgment
I get this.

I’ve been drinking kava for three years also. Started with strictly Hawaiian instants for one year. I would take about 8 tbsp a day but it was a schedule that worked for me: 4 tbsp in the morning in 2 tbsp doses about 45 minutes apart, then two more when I got home from work around 4-5, then 2 more before bedtime. It was really my most “happiest” time with kava, if you will, because now I can’t afford instant and have been trying to perfect my traditional prep ever since. It is difficult for me to knead for a long time so I really feel like I am constantly using a lot and probably wasting some, too. I tried micro before and from what I remember it did affect me quickly and nicely but the immediate stomach revolt and nausea was hard. Additionally, I have never had unbearable dermo only some extreme dryness but nothing that interrupted my day (except for a few eye styes in the very beginning which I learned to keep at bay by not wearing contacts and using a good eye drop), so I wouldnt want any more than I already have. I took benzos for 6 years and they definitely broke my brain, but I believe it’s been healing and although I still struggle, I’m moving in the right direction. So I get the big doses from that perspective. Maybe I should give micro another go.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
The obvious thing for me is that 4 tablespoons of micro in one go would give me serious nausea but if you've tried medium grind and can't get on with it then you're on limited options.
Thanks Edward. I find that as soon as I try and split the dose, or even have less total over a longer timeframe, the nausea creeps in. One of my kava quirks. I've tried a few medium grinds but never for more than a month.
I would recommend trying are the Vanuatu Green from BKH if you like heady. Buy in bulk you should be able to get it for $0.40 a gram. The other one is the instant from root of happiness which is potent and heavy. The ROH is my favourite instant ever. That should come in at a similar price if you buy in bulk to cut down the impact of postage.
BKH don't ship to Australia, but even if they were to make an exception, I was put off mail order by my recent customs scare. Was going to wait till Feb when I'm in Amsterdam and ship some to the hotel there...but then I was thinking if I have any delays with Dutch customs I'm only there for six days and could all get a bit tight...might be easier to order direct through you, Edward? Is the customs procedure easier within EU?

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
What I would try? A classic exposure training.

Find the largest amount of weak kava made from medium grind that doesn't make you nauseous. A homeopathic shot glass if that is what it takes. Drink a 100 ml shell in the morning then forget about it, go about your day. Do what you normally do, drink your regular big gulp of micro or whatever.

Once you have a solid baseline, small amount of weak kava, with no problems, gradually titrate up both strength and amount, but if any nausea appears, ratchet back down to a no nausea level, and try again in a few days. Now, this may take some time, could even take months just to work you up to a single proper shell. But the odds of it working, and the failure of other attempts, should make it worth a try.
ok Krunkie. I'll try that. I've always gone balls to the wall and been desperate for results now, and maybe that's been to my disadvantage. I know RT took you 2 months, so I'll push past my regular mini-RT month buffer and see what happens. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I get this.

I’ve been drinking kava for three years also. Started with strictly Hawaiian instants for one year. I would take about 8 tbsp a day but it was a schedule that worked for me: 4 tbsp in the morning in 2 tbsp doses about 45 minutes apart, then two more when I got home from work around 4-5, then 2 more before bedtime. It was really my most “happiest” time with kava, if you will, because now I can’t afford instant and have been trying to perfect my traditional prep ever since. It is difficult for me to knead for a long time so I really feel like I am constantly using a lot and probably wasting some, too. I tried micro before and from what I remember it did affect me quickly and nicely but the immediate stomach revolt and nausea was hard. Additionally, I have never had unbearable dermo only some extreme dryness but nothing that interrupted my day (except for a few eye styes in the very beginning which I learned to keep at bay by not wearing contacts and using a good eye drop), so I wouldnt want any more than I already have. I took benzos for 6 years and they definitely broke my brain, but I believe it’s been healing and although I still struggle, I’m moving in the right direction. So I get the big doses from that perspective. Maybe I should give micro another go.
That original situation sounds ideal; I really need (probably yes, in a bit of an addicted way) something to take the edge off all day long. Life is too hard, otherwise. I'm going to introduce a small amount of traditional prep alongside the micro, as per Krunkie's recommendation. How much med grind are you using? Keep me in the loop with how you go?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks Edward. I find that as soon as I try and split the dose, or even have less total over a longer timeframe, the nausea creeps in. One of my kava quirks. I've tried a few medium grinds but never for more than a month.

BKH don't ship to Australia, but even if they were to make an exception, I was put off mail order by my recent customs scare. Was going to wait till Feb when I'm in Amsterdam and ship some to the hotel there...but then I was thinking if I have any delays with Dutch customs I'm only there for six days and could all get a bit tight...might be easier to order direct through you, Edward? Is the customs procedure easier within EU?
Yes, you get a small brown envelope in the post. Not had a customs preblem yet except to Belarus. One slightly bizarre issue is that i will be in Australia in February lol!

If we arrange it ahead of time then i can get the stock in place and have someone post it at the required date so it arrives when you do.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, you get a small brown envelope in the post. Not had a customs preblem yet except to Belarus. One slightly bizarre issue is that i will be in Australia in February lol!
If we arrange it ahead of time then i can get the stock in place and have someone post it at the required date so it arrives when you do.
thanks Edward. are customs taxes still applicable within the EU?
was after an Aluball too (although maybe would be better to post that in Aus? no idea). do you have a price list you could send me of what you regularly stock?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
No customs fees once its here. I can send you an aluball here although you could get one sent from kavafied to you more easily. Also i only have the old shakers not the new bottle. I'll message you with a rough list.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I used to need at least two shells to really feel like something is happening, ( each shell 2 heaped Teaspoons KWK Micronized ) but lately I have been finding that is too much and I have tried reducing it to one and a half shells, ( one shell of 2 heaped Teaspoons, and one shell of 1 heaped Teaspoon ) and I find that is strong enough for me now. Maybe I will get to the point where one shell alone will be enough.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I have a small bowl for my kava that's probably a little bigger than half a coconut shell. I make just enough kava to fill it and then a little and that's all I have. If I drink anymore unless it was just as potent then I'll actually get reduced effects because there's too much liquid. But what I make is probably considered very condensed, if you let it sit for a couple minutes you'll see a pretty thick layer of sediment settle on the bottom and when you shake it up it's like thick mud.