What's new

Can one get "hungover" from 2 much Noble Kava & if so how do the Natives drink it all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Not so much hungover but the next day feeling tired a little nauseous etc. These kinds of things seem to not be a problem for those brought up around kava?

Last edited:

ElKavallero

Kava Curious
I had 2.5 shells of Wow! last night, 1/4 cup to 1 cup water, and then a second ringing for the .5 shell...and I feel it today. Not so much nauseous, or 'tired' in a hangover sense, but just generally sloooowwww and mellow.

Wow! is a noble blend as far as I know, albeit a strong one. But anyway, the natives (generalizing here I know!) don't have office jobs, etc. I probably wouldn't feel tired if I were hanging out in the sun with family.

D

Deleted User01

Drink more water during the day and especially after your kava session. Kava, like alcohol, will dehydrate you and thus the hangover. Try it.

infraredz

BULA!
I definitely second what Deleted User01 said. That is, I bet, that cause of a lot of new people's problems the next day. Kava is quite a strong diuretic and it can catch you off guard so make sure to stay hydrated.

Also, we don't have anyone from N@H participate here, but I'd question if it really is noble or not. For instance, what is the cultivar's name? Does it really come from Vanuatu? It's actually one of the few kavas I haven't had so I can't give you an anecdotal idea of if it's noble or not. You can always e-mail N@H and ask them about it (and if it's from Vanuatu, my understanding is it should have a certificate of approval from the Dpt. of Ag.).

I've certainly never had significant effects the day after drinking what I know to be noble kavas. The only after-effect I notice, which is different from lethargy or drowsiness, is the "shield effect" wherein you feel ever so slightly "immune" to a lot of the external things in our lives that can have a negative impact on us. It's a difficult feeling to describe, but with noble kava (as long as you are hydrated like Deleted User01 said), you shouldn't feel anything that would impair your cognition. (Shit, I don't have any impairment on my cognition even right after drinking kava).

ApéroNoble

Would the assumption that for the majority of people the longer they drink kava the more they are able to tolerate/drink without sides be a proper one

infraredz

BULA!
I'm not sure what you mean by "are able to tolerate/drink without sides be a proper one" but if you are referring to tolerating the side-effects, than I would say that we learn how to cope with them (like Deleted User01 pointed out re: diuresis) as well as physiological changes that (In my experience) cause a decrease in nausea, headache, etc.

ApéroNoble

"as well as physiological changes that (In my experience) cause a decrease in nausea, headache, etc."

you feel that one adapts physiologically to your above listed side-effects with continued use?

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, it's not uncommon for the body to change (albeit in possibly subtle ways) likely in an effort to maintain homeostasis. The complex mechanisms behind physiological changes in regard to a given substance will obviously vary and be quite complex.

ApéroNoble

Yeah, it's not uncommon for the body to change (albeit in possibly subtle ways) likely in an effort to maintain homeostasis. The complex mechanisms behind physiological changes in regard to a given substance will obviously vary and be quite complex.
I have experienced the disappearance of unwanted sides with some compositions, not with those of an addictive nature such as alcohol

Edit: Not speaking to drugs per se here, just because something is not addictive does not mean it won't kill you

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My nose never ran when I drank kava at the beginning. Now it's like a faucet, also I don't get nauseous like I did in the beginning. The only thing that's too stubborn to adapt at this point is my skin. Dry as ever, but manageable.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Another thing is that they've got fresh stuff so they're drinking a lot less rootstock and the undesirables that come with it.

I've been drinking pretty seriously for about two years now and as long as I stay hydrated and drink slowly and carefully the only side effect for me is, unfortunately, dermopathy, and I haven't found a way to avoid it.

As for slow the next day, only after drinking tudei kava, which I don't do anymore. I usually lift weights first thing in the morning so I would definitely notice if anything is off.

ApéroNoble

Another thing is that they've got fresh stuff so they're drinking a lot less rootstock and the undesirables that come with it.

I've been drinking pretty seriously for about two years now and as long as I stay hydrated and drink slowly and carefully the only side effect for me is, unfortunately, dermopathy, and I haven't found a way to avoid it.

As for slow the next day, only after drinking tudei kava, which I don't do anymore. I usually lift weights first thing in the morning so I would definitely notice if anything is off.
I notice when I sip it throughout the evening normally everything is fine the day after, when I get overconfident and gulp are when issues seem to occur the next day

Last edited:

Alien

Kava Newbie
I have had several instances of hangover-type effects the next day. Two times it's been fairly mild and not a big deal but definitely there. One time the hangover was intense and lasted all day long. The effects I've seen are a spacey-type feeling, lethargy, emotionally-drained (possibly that 'shield' effect) though not really in a good sort of way, etc. I will admit on that one occasion it was intense I definitely over-indulged myself by drinking way too much.

I find there to be a rather fine line between feeling it but it being hard to tell and so you drink more, and having went too far. Again, I'm still a novice though. :)

ApéroNoble

I have had several instances of hangover-type effects the next day. Two times it's been fairly mild and not a big deal but definitely there. One time the hangover was intense and lasted all day long. The effects I've seen are a spacey-type feeling, lethargy, emotionally-drained (possibly that 'shield' effect) though not really in a good sort of way, etc. I will admit on that one occasion it was intense I definitely over-indulged myself by drinking way too much.

I find there to be a rather fine line between feeling it but it being hard to tell and so you drink more, and having went too far. Again, I'm still a novice though. :)
"I find there to be a rather fine line between feeling it but it being hard to tell and so you drink more"- Very well may be the case, with the emotional connection to our gut, we hear people saying they have a "gut feeling" or they "feel it in their guts" but this is rooted in reality http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/the-gut-brain-connection, so the very way in which kava especially seems sensitive to this area may be one thing to be mindful of.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I notice when I sip it throughout the evening normally everything is fine the day after, when I get overconfident and gulp are when issues seem to occur the next day
Definitely. Sometimes I will get overconfident and drink my entire big gulp cup of kava and oh hey, nausea, this is why I don't do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.