What's new

Can Someone Direct Me?

D

Deathrydar

I apologize, but can someone point me in the right direction for information about Kava?

I found a YouTube video, as far as how to make it.
-Take 3 tablespoons of Kava
-Put into strainer
-Poor 1 cup of water over it.
-Massage strainer for 5-10 minutes.

Does that sound correct?

Do I drink the whole thing right away? I don't want to drink too much at once. Do I space it out over a certain period of time?

Also, I bought these strainers:
http://www.bulakavahouse.com/collections/kava-accessories/products/fijian-strainer-bags
How many uses should I expect to get out of these?

I bought 1/4 kilo of Kava Root - Boroguru Kava Powder
And 1/2 kilo of Kava Root - Fu’u Kava Powder

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'd say if you're new to add 3 or so tablespoons to that. There is, with kava, a reverse tolerance effect that causes the drinker to not feel the beneficial effects of kava until a certain amount has built up in the system. So the advice that's normally given is that the first time consumer should hit it hard, and often. Also up the amount of water to about 1 3/4 cups of water, and put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Warm water will help aid in the extraction of kavalactones. Message and squeeze your strainer vigorously for 10-15 minutes. Chill your beverage, and then drink.

The strainers you bought are perfect. You'll get many many uses out of it.

D

Deathrydar

I'd say if you're new to add 3 or so tablespoons to that. There is, with kava, a reverse tolerance effect that causes the drinker to not feel the beneficial effects of kava until a certain amount has built up in the system. So the advice that's normally given is that the first time consumer should hit it hard, and often. Also up the amount of water to about 1 3/4 cups of water, and put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Warm water will help aid in the extraction of kavalactones. Message and squeeze your strainer vigorously for 10-15 minutes. Chill your beverage, and then drink.

The strainers you bought are perfect. You'll get many many uses out of it.
Thank you!

So I take 6 tablespoons, add 1 3/4 water to that and then put it in the microwave, massage and squeeze, massage and squeeze, put in fridge for a bit, and drink it all in one sitting?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
All at once. Shouldn't make more than 10 or so ounces. I'd microwave the water and then add it to the kava.

D

Deathrydar

Let me make sure I have this right:

Add 6 tablespoons of Kava to strainer
Place Kava and strainer into a bowl
Warm 1 3/4 of water in microwave
Pour water over strainer in a bowl
Massage strainer for 10-15 minutes
Chill in refrigerator a bit

Chug! :p

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
^---sounds about right. once you've been doing it long enough that you feel the effects completely...you can then adjust the amount of tablespoons you use, depending on how effected you want to really feel off it.
I've settled at about 8 tablespoons which, for me, can be fully relaxing, sedating and sometimes a bit inebriating. 6 would be pretty similar but never get me "krunk". 3 or 4 will still take the edge off and reduce anxiety but you won't really 'feel it' as much. 9 tablespoons + will almost always be a full blown kava experience. you will only want to chill and enjoy how you feel. having to get up and do things would be horrible.
Also, be careful chugging your whole bowl at once...especially with heavier kava's like boroguru. It could make you pretty nauseous. Kava's traditionally served in 4-6 ounce shells that you chug over the course of an hour or more.

D

Deathrydar

Also, be careful chugging your whole bowl at once...especially with heavier kava's like boroguru. It could make you pretty nauseous. Kava's traditionally served in 4-6 ounce shells that you chug over the course of an hour or more.
That's what I am worried about. So I should drink it slowly?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
you wont really know what best for you until you start playing around. but i'd say, chug some...wait a 10-15 minutes...chug more...see how that goes...etc.. when you start to feel the kava and you're accustomed to how it behaves with you. then, you will know how you want to adjust your drinking method. Drinking a whole batch at once will definitely slam you more so than gradually building to where you wanna be. It could certainly be fun if your stomach can take it and if you wanna feel a kava rush.

D

Deathrydar

I don't know what a "kava feeling" is supposed to feel like, so this may be difficult for me to gauge when I am "feeling it" and when I am not.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I don't know what a "kava feeling" is supposed to feel like, so this may be difficult for me to gauge when I am "feeling it" and when I am not.
yup...you'll know. the thing is, you really need to do it for several days...everyday...once you get to a point where it consistently feels pretty much the same way every time, however that may feel for you, that's when you should start playing with stronger or weaker dosages...so that you can weigh them against how your previous consistent doses felt.

D

Deactivated Account

If your not feeling it...it's not strong enough. It feels like your head is full of glue. Nice glue though.

Bula man!

Kava Curious
Yeah empty stomach makes a huge difference. If I have eaten before I planned on drinking kava in the evening, I will just wait until the next day because it is just wasting the root. Crazy how much of a difference it makes