What's new

Canada Border Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris954

Kava Curious
Why do they do this and is there a way to stop it? I am willing to try to help if I can. Aloha.

Chris
I think it's because you brazenly put "Kava Powder" on the custom's form. They can't resist.
I did suggest you label it differently when I put in my order, but I can understand if you would rather not.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I think it's because you brazenly put "Kava Powder" on the custom's form. They can't resist.
I did suggest you label it differently when I put in my order, but I can understand if you would rather not.
Hi, I did not mean to be so brazen about it being pure 100% kava powder. What do you suggest I put?
Aloha.

Chris

Shelly McKrunkface

Kava Curious
Herbal tea? Canadians are used to the customs games, and we regard bypassing them rather as a national sport, but suppliers can't take risks, and must label honestly.

When I lived in Canada, it was an easy drive to a rural border, just over which was a little shop which did a roaring business in package deliveries. So there also were great skiing and hiking places just over the border from Canada, not to mention a place where you could get smoked chicken and wild rice pizza with a side of pickled herring. And if you just happened to pick up a parcel on the way back that somehow got mixed in with wet ski socks in the back seat of your car ....

And if you had nothing to smuggle in you would pretend you did, just so as to not let down the side. I have lied about having one un-opened bottle of beer because I wasn't smuggling anything and was within my import limit but just couldn't not try it on. Took years of living abroad before I understood that the rest of the world does not see this as normal.

Of course it didn't always work, but usually one pickled herring burp at the right moment did the trick. :arghh:

But humour aside, while individual Canadians might have pulled that trick or regarded it as a game they sometimes win and sometimes lose, reputable suppliers cannot play that way.

They could of course ship to just south of the border, depending on where people are located.

And is this dinging happening just between the US / Canada shippings? My guess would be yes, and not all Canada

Last edited:

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I would suggest the herbal supplement idea, or perhaps just label it as tea. Oh hey if you do that and they try to put a duty on it we can have a canadian boston tea party....... except we wouldnt waste the kava we would just throw tea grounds all over the BPAs and run like a fox in a henhouse.

Kris954

Kava Curious
I can't see honesty as being "brazen", but in any event "tea" has been known to work.
I was joking about the "brazen" part, though I have noticed that packages labeled "tea", "health supplement", and "dietary supplement" seem to get through more often without further scrutiny. But I get that not all suppliers are willing to do that. It means I will simply have to do what I do with other suppliers...larger orders less often, to make it worth the added price to get it here.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I was joking about the "brazen" part, though I have noticed that packages labeled "tea", "health supplement", and "dietary supplement" seem to get through more often without further scrutiny. But I get that not all suppliers are willing to do that. It means I will simply have to do what I do with other suppliers...larger orders less often, to make it worth the added price to get it here.
Thanks for the ideas of what to put down, they all are correct so I would not be telling a lie. I will start doing this for my Canada customers. Aloha.

Chris

steevy66

Kava Curious
Thanks for the ideas of what to put down, they all are correct so I would not be telling a lie. I will start doing this for my Canada customers. Aloha.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I've never come across this before and I've been ordering from you for years! To my surprise when I tracked my package this morning awaiting my beautiful golden bag of Kumakua, I see "Package out for delivery, $20.75 duty and taxes owing"

What a bummer!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Hi Chris,

I've never come across this before and I've been ordering from you for years! To my surprise when I tracked my package this morning awaiting my beautiful golden bag of Kumakua, I see "Package out for delivery, $20.75 duty and taxes owing"

What a bummer!

How long do the packages usually take coming from GHK to Canada?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

steevy66

Kava Curious
How long do the packages usually take coming from GHK to Canada?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
It really can depend on how long it takes customs to clear the package. I've had packages at my doorstep within a week from being shipped in Hawaii and I've had a couple that spent 1 full week in customs although that is definitely not the norm. Usually it averages 1.5 weeks or 5-7 business days.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Chris,

What a bummer!

Hi, why do you think they charged you so much? Is there something I can do on my end? Aloha.

Chris

steevy66

Kava Curious
Hi, why do you think they charged you so much? Is there something I can do on my end? Aloha.

Chris
Hi Chris, I won't know until I pick up the package but I suspect it has something to do with how the contents are described/labelled. I just spoke to Canada Border Services and was told it was likely an error by the agent assessing the package during the clearance process. I asked for an explanation and when I was asked about the contents of the parcel, I said it was ground kava root powder. She wasn't familiar with what it was and asked what exactly it was and I said it's an herbal supplement or a "tea". Her response was that it shouldn't be subject to any duty or tax and that an error occurred.

My options are to pay the fee then fill out a form to have it re-assessed and wait for a refund in the mail or to send the parcel back to be re-assessed or to send it back to you. Needless to say the 2 latter options are not enticing to me when I know I can be kneading a batch of Kumakua this evening! I will pay it and try to get the refund. Will keep you posted and thanks for following up!

Status
Not open for further replies.