What's new

Kava Physiology Can't drink coffee any more?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Lol we've been together 2 years almost and I've animal proofed my room of the house enough where we can exist there no issue thank god . It's tough as I'm a huge animal lover mainly cats and dogs obviously. Lol but then our basement flooded so redoing it it helped alot more in eliminating all hair that could've been down there from the dog and cat

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
This is interesting. I used to drink coffee all day and into the evening, very high tolerance and no real side effects, just very enjoyable. In the past months since my kava intake has been consistently high, I have noticed that coffee is much less enjoyable than it was in the past. Very little effects or negative effects (anxiety, shakiness). I rarely drink more than a couple of cups now. I definitely wouldn't call it potentiation, more like interference.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I've had quite a bit of kava this past weekend. It has been the first time in a while. Anyways, this morning, I got a 16 oz coffee, pretty standard for me. Well, I still feel the effect and have been quite anxious all day (actually had a mild panic attack earlier which I was able to shake off, very unusual for me). Anyways, I think that kava clearly does enhance caffine's effect. This brings me to the question of whether I should have kava now or not. On one hand, it might calm me down nicely, but on the other hand, it might make the coffee's effect even greater and make it take longer to leave the system. What do yall think? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a love/hate relationship with coffee. I love drinking it I hate myself for drinking it later when 1. I'm having a panic attack (mild to severe) 2. Can't focus if I have juuust too much 3. Can't sleep that night. It does seem like I've become more sensitive to coffee and I'm really wanting to drop coffee for at least a month or two to see what difference there is. It's hard to do though. Trying to step down to tea then maybe go caffeine free. I've felt better going caffeine free before. Just more aware and able to be. Also less jittery, nervous/anxious. Kava seems to have less effect sometimes with caffeine coursing through my system.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
This is interesting. I used to drink coffee all day and into the evening, very high tolerance and no real side effects, just very enjoyable. In the past months since my kava intake has been consistently high, I have noticed that coffee is much less enjoyable than it was in the past. Very little effects or negative effects (anxiety, shakiness). I rarely drink more than a couple of cups now. I definitely wouldn't call it potentiation, more like interference.
Posted before reading the thread but, yes, interference nails it in my experience. I'm drinking kava for the anxiety squashing benefits so why seesaw myself back to anxiety with coffee. I'll also get dehydrated more easily when drinking coffee and kava regularly.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I have completely stopped drinking coffee. I just don't want it, and find it kind of unpleasant if I drink it. I am a daily kava drinker. But before, I used to drink a lot of coffee. It's actually a really good thing, since I have major problems with anxiety, and caffiene is the worst thing for people with anxiety disorders, but I felt that I needed it... Now the only caffeine I have is an occasional Coke Zero.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I like me some coffee, kava, and a good glass of sweet red wine (nothing like a good Georgia muscadine wine). I just don't take kava and wine close to each other.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Interference might happen depending on your kava drinking schedule. If you are mixing the two, for sure. If you do kava at night and caffeine in the morning, probably not.

I drink kava at night and caffeine in the morning, but I just drink tea, then I'll re-brew the same batch of tea once or twice throughout the day so I'm getting progressively less, so it's probably not much comparatively.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Interference might happen depending on your kava drinking schedule. If you are mixing the two, for sure. If you do kava at night and caffeine in the morning, probably not.

I drink kava at night and caffeine in the morning, but I just drink tea, then I'll re-brew the same batch of tea once or twice throughout the day so I'm getting progressively less, so it's probably not much comparatively.
Second washes of tea.. that's an interesting idea: Get the most out of your teabag!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I drink loose leaf tea ::indeedsir::

But yeah unlike kava second washes, tea is pretty well studied and if you make two three-minute steeps with the same batch, the second one still has a decent amount of caffeine in it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I drink loose leaf tea ::indeedsir::

But yeah unlike kava second washes, tea is pretty well studied and if you make two three-minute steeps with the same batch, the second one still has a decent amount of caffeine in it.
Try steeping it in chloroform for full extraction.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Tea doesn't seem to cause the effects that coffee does on subtances .. caffiene iany the only thing that makes coffee what it is. It has rapid release aspect that tea doesn't have.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
This is really interesting, and seems significant. I'm a huge fan of coffee, and always have been. A little while after staring to drink kava regularly, I noticed coffee effecting me much more.

I've basically give up cofffee and switched to tea. I still have it occasionally.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
This makes a lot of sense. I find myself not craving coffee recently. Lately been buying one and only drinking half or so. 6 months ago I used to get my day started with coffee and buy 2 or 3 throughout a full day. It used to always put me in a happy mood and give me energy yet also make me relaxed. Nowadays i dont get the same effect I used to. Great to know, now i just have to choose between the two:bored:

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I fill my pot to the 6 cup line and drink it within an hour every morning. I also drink a very large cup before work in the afternoon. One thing I do notice, is the extreme dehydration I get tends to weird me out. As soon as I drink water, I feel fine. Yerba mate is great stuff, and once I can find an inexpensive reputable vendor, I could see myself switching over entirely.

Felix

I love you all
I've been drinking kava daily for 6 months now and find that I can't drink coffee any more. It keeps me jittery and awake for 14 or more hours. In fact, I'm awake right now because of coffee I drank this morning. I Googled this and found that kava inhibits the CYP1A2 enzyme which is responsible for metabolizing caffeine. So my question is, does anyone else have increased sensitivity to caffeine since they started drinking kava?

(Several more enzymes are affected according to the first link, for instance CYP2C9 which metabolizes ibuprofen and other drugs. They're listed in the first link and are interesting to examine. Kava could in fact affect the metabolism of hundreds of drugs and might be worth mentioning during your visits to the doctor. :happy:)

Cheers! :D
I just was wondering about this the other day, cuz I noticed that I wake up very alert the day after drinking kava in the evening. I didn't crave coffee like I normally do and went a whole week without it, but one day I drank some and got a crazy headache within a few minutes, I also noticed that i became super jittery which is not normal for me and the caffeine buzz seemed like it would never end! I was like whoa! Has anyone else noticed this??

D

Deleted User01

@Felix, if anything, I drink more coffee when I do Kava the day before. I really crave it to wipe the kava sleep from my eyes and get my brain going at 5am. But everyone has a different chemotype so it may effect others one way or another. I might also had that I get a full 8 hours of sleep.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
I just was wondering about this the other day, cuz I noticed that I wake up very alert the day after drinking kava in the evening. I didn't crave coffee like I normally do and went a whole week without it, but one day I drank some and got a crazy headache within a few minutes, I also noticed that i became super jittery which is not normal for me and the caffeine buzz seemed like it would never end! I was like whoa! Has anyone else noticed this??
This is an old thread but I just googled this because I dont want coffee anymore and I was a coffee addict. Way too sensitive to it now and I have only been drinking Kava for a week!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk