What's new

Chemotype question

schatz

itchin for kava
Why would two varieties of kava have same chemotype, example 426351, but have different effect for me. I thought I could use the chemotype of the strain of kava I liked, and purchase the same chemotype kava in another strain and get similiar results. Thank you in advance for enlightening me on this aspect of kava.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
the chemotype doesnt tell you exactly how much of each kavalactone present in a given root, it only tells you ratios. Lets say you had a strain that has a chemotype with kavain as the number one kavalactone. It might have 38% kavain out of the total KL content. the other kavalactones might be less than 20% each. Then take another strain that also has kavain as the number one kavalactone, and the exact same chemotype lineup. That strain might be more balanced evenly, or more "full spectrum" and end up having only 25% kavain, but around 20% of several other kavalactones. The first strain you tried has 13% more kavain than the second one, despite the fact that they are identical in the order of kavalactone content. the second one probably has a bit more DHK or Yangonin etc than the first, since it is more evenly distributed.

All that said, I feel chemotype is very helpful in determining your preferences, especially if you can see a breakdown of the percentages like you can on Truekava.com. Me, I like anything that has a close KL content to Moi. I like a healthy amount of kavain and sometimes a decent amount of yangonin. That's the extent of my understanding of what works for me.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Another thing to consider is that there are many more kavalactones than the "Big 6" in the chemotype. These minor KLs could alter the feeling of a kava, and they are completely unexplored because they are not routinely measured.

There is also the possibility of non-KL chemicals in kava having some effect.

schatz

itchin for kava
Thank you for info, I was assuming with my limited knowledge that chemotype was the major determining factor in effects. But I started cataloging my kava strains I have tried and listing the chemotypes and comparing. I thought their might be something more going on but I knew you guys would have the answers, thanks.
I guess this is going to be more of an adventure than anticipated, many variables and reviews and opinions to be considered when deciding to try a certain strain. But ultimately I guess I will just have to sample them all. Darn.
Thanks again for clearing that up guys.

D

Deleted User01

Chemotypes are a guide not a fact to resulting effects.
What Headgie said. You can't "paint by the numbers" with Kava. The human body chemistry varies with every human and you never know how a particular substance is going to effect a particular human. Case in point, a girl I knew in college would fall asleep when taking caffein pills. Those same pills would get me wired to the point of distraction. As @ThePiper said, find the kava that hits your nerve center just right and stick with it. Good luck in your quest!

schatz

itchin for kava
What Headgie said. You can't "paint by the numbers" with Kava. The human body chemistry varies with every human and you never know how a particular substance is going to effect a particular human. Case in point, a girl I knew in college would fall asleep when taking caffein pills. Those same pills would get me wired to the point of distraction. As @ThePiper said, find the kava that hits your nerve center just right and stick s with it. Good luck in your quest!
Well said, thankyou I will just have to keep going, although the Cactus Lowena is working pretty good since its arrival the other day. Highly like the results so far and havent even tried the other two in the sampler yet.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah sample packs are key. I truly wish they're were more. Lol

Once I'm out of debt, I'm gonna go ham on trying different kavas but as of now I'm kinda in a comfort zone sadly

schatz

itchin for kava
Yes it is strange how the experiences we receive from the different strains of the Kava effect us differently. Like everybody raves or attributes certain benefits to Kava strains like Moi or Borungoro or Squanch Waka or Wow and my experiences are a little different to astoundingly different. So I gues the way to go is try them all and take notes on what does what and even then the next time you try what you liked it might be different. Their are just infinate amount of variables to effect the experience, this is awesome but kind of frustrating at times, just cannot nail down an exact way or process to duplicate experiences.