What's new

Chips muuuuch stronger than powder!

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
I waited until I thoroughly tested it but Maui Medicinal's chips are muuuuch stronger than any powder I've used so far. I let them soak for 3-5 hours then high blend them several times. Tastes almost as bad as tudei but stronger.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Yep thats it. I talked to Mark (owner) a helluva nice guy, typical hawaiian. He never used the word Noble he just said very good to excellent dark laterals. I've found the more empty (morning) my stomach is the harder it hits me. At night 1 cup (2Tbls.) knocks me out so I don't get to enjoy the "krunk".

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Just for the sake of clarity, the term 'chips' as it pertains to buying kava, typically indicates pieces of the root stump/corm of the plant. This part is known to be weaker than the lateral roots. In the case of this Medicinal Maui brew or chew, it appears to be either be lateral roots or a mixture of the two.
If it is as potent as you say, my guess would be that it's either a high KL% plant, it hasn't been overly dried and processed (which can degrade the KL%) or it's simply a Hawaiian grown Isa tudei plant. I emailed this company last year and they told me they have 6 or 7 varieties growing, the bulk of which are Mo'i and Hiwa...didn't name the others though.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Just inquired with the company and here is the response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, from reading this, we can tell that he is likely mis-informed...Mokihana is supposed to be a lost variety and it's highly doubtful, though not completely impossible, that he has it. @Kapmcrunk since you are currently in contact with him, please ask for a photo of his Mokihana stocks without mentioning their rarity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

I knew that was the mythical Mokihana that Shakas sees in his dreams. Even Chris didn't know about it. @shakas, maybe an email is in order? Like I said, interesting but I'm out.

D

Deleted User01

I hear ya Kap. Maybe he can give us a truly interesting story about the Mohikana. He's only the second one to ever mention it besides @shakas. He needs to sign in and let the members ask questions. Like the others have done in the past. I'm all for fairness and full disclosure.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Mark has called me back direct from Maui to Louisiana on (2) seperate occasions & been nothing but extremely helpful. I tried tossing back 1.5 cups of Brew or Chew & it knocked me out. My favorite thing about kava is the complete lack of a hangover after the fun. I laugh now when I think about booze or see a beer/whiskey commercial.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Photos supplied by vendor. The first two are the Mokihana strain. Click pictures to enlarge.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
The increased potency of my Brew or Chew clearly demonstrates the fact few seem to understand (I didn't at first) that kavalactones are NOT water soluble. They must be physically forced out of the root. I think grinding the root into a very fine grade powder may, in some cases, be a step too far possibly causing the extracted kavalactones to evaporate. If the root is only chopped up into small chips it might enable the kavalactones to remain stable/encased until liberated by soaking & subsequently blending.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
So are you saying the first two ARE the Mokihana strain or is that what he identified as the Mokihana strain? My mind just says if its a lost cultivar then how would you even know its Mokihana anyway.
He could have bought a cutting from someone who thought their plant was Mokihana and just passed on the misidentified name. There are references and descriptions of Mokihana in old Hawai'ian chants and oral history throughout the years. One piece of the description definitely fits with the plant in those pics, the internode growth resembles Papa Kea. The main identifier of Mokihana is that it's supposed to have a fragrance that is similar to sweet licorice or anise. It's also said to have light colored leaves.

I found some literature from the earlier '90s that claimed there was a Mokihana plant growing at the Alia Point Nursery back then, but when I contacted Ed Johnston about it, he said it turned out not to be Mokihana and it had no special fragrance. What ever it was though, the stump chemotype tested at 425xxx which happens to be one of my dream chemotypes.