What's new

clean strainers/aluballs with Isopropyl alcohol

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I clean my strainers with Isopropyl alcohol , the liquid gets quite dirty even if the strain is washed....

Do you guys use Isopropyl alcohol to clean your strainers?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I clean my strainers with Isopropyl alcohol , the liquid gets quite dirty even if the strain is washed....

I just rinse mine with cold water and keep going no matter how yellow and crusty they get. I used the same strainer for over a year one time and even though I use milk in my mix I never got ill from it.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

I find that vinegar works better than isopropyl. I take my strainer bags and put them in an old shaker with dish soap and vinegar give it a shake and let it sit overnight. While I am sure the IPA sanitized the bags well it never quite broke down the sticky yellow residue the same as vinegar. I have two nylon bags that are almost as white and clean as they day I got them 6 months ago...previous to that bags would get yellow and gunk up within weeks. I also have a bad habit of leaving strainer bags, with kava in them overnight.....'cause I am lazy and doubly so when krunk. The vinegar still seems to clean them up nice. It is also cheaper than IPA....if that matters.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I find that vinegar works better than isopropyl. I take my strainer bags and put them in an old shaker with dish soap and vinegar give it a shake and let it sit overnight. While I am sure the IPA sanitized the bags well it never quite broke down the sticky yellow residue the same as vinegar. I have two nylon bags that are almost as white and clean as they day I got them 6 months ago...previous to that bags would get yellow and gunk up within weeks. I also have a bad habit of leaving strainer bags, with kava in them overnight.....'cause I am lazy and doubly so when krunk. The vinegar still seems to clean them up nice. It is also cheaper than IPA....if that matters.
I am the exact same way, good to know about the excellent results with vinegar. Are you using white vinegar? wonder if I can use cider...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am the exact same way, good to know about the excellent results with vinegar. Are you using white vinegar? wonder if I can use cider...
Yeah, I use white vinegar 5%. I have found some 6% as well but since it is diluted anyways when I put it into the shaker with hot water it really doesn't matter. I don't see why apple wouldn't work it has the same acidity - but I am guessing it has some sugar in it that might leave a residue? Not sure. The white definitely with a quick cold water rinse gets any "vinegar flavor" removed. A gallon is about $3.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
I have never washed my aluball/shaker...
I only rinse mine with water...and since I do it immediately after making kava it doesn't get dirty or crusty.
I've been doing it this way for 6 years with no issues...and no worries about soap residue or vinegar flavor.

The key is to rinse everything immediately after brewing a batch up.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I
I have never washed my aluball/shaker...
I only rinse mine with water...and since I do it immediately after making kava it doesn't get dirty or crusty.
I've been doing it this way for 6 years with no issues...and no worries about soap residue or vinegar flavor.

The key is to rinse everything immediately after brewing a batch up.
I don't wash either.
The years of leftover residue, causes an enhanced aging effect on the kava, much like an older, fine wine

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
This is what my Kava drink bottle looks like AFTER a heavy scrubbing with Dawn dish liquid.
Plus, previously I tried alcohol, vinegar, and baking soda.
So I gave up on these stains.
And this is after me, following the recommended practice of rinsing it completely and immediately after each use.

image000000(16).jpg

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
This is what my Kava drink bottle looks like AFTER a heavy scrubbing with Dawn dish liquid.
Plus, previously I tried alcohol, vinegar, and baking soda.
So I gave up on these stains.
And this is after me, following the recommended practice of rinsing it completely and immediately after each use.

View attachment 12487
It's ok, It's kava patina, it's gorgeous!

You should see my kitchen, it's very obvious I drink kava when you see all the splatters from all the final squeezes that went sideways over the years. No matter how much I scrub it, it eventually all comes right back.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It's ok, It's kava patina, it's gorgeous!

You should see my kitchen, it's very obvious I drink kava when you see all the splatters from all the final squeezes that went sideways over the years. No matter how much I scrub it, it eventually all comes right back.
Yea, not just squeezes from the bags, but leaks from bottle seals when you shake those
This creates a recommendation to new kava drinkers : Getting brown or tan wallpaper is advised. (camouflage for the inevitable kava splatter)