What's new

Cleaning strainer bags

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Soap and water every few months. After a year, I buy a new one. I wonder if there is something that breaks down the starch build up..

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Soap and water every few months. After a year, I buy a new one. I wonder if there is something that breaks down the starch build up..
I’ve been doing something similar just with more frequent soap washes and I noticed today after giving it a good hot water rinse when I went to dry it off with a paper towel I noticed that I was still getting a heavy residue. It was bright yellow just like a co2 extraction and it made me curious about other people’s cleaning rituals

Redrider

Kava Curious
I bought a bunch of soup herbs bags (not sure what their technical name is).
Because of my OCD, I use them once and then hang them to dry. Then I toss them into a lingerie bag and when they accumulate, I wash them with towels on hot in the washing machine.
(Don't take any advice from me about almost anything.)

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Because of my OCD, I use them once and then hang them to dry. Then I toss them into a lingerie bag and when they accumulate, I wash them with towels on hot in the washing machine.
I’m actually going to give the washing machine a shot. I’ve actually run them through the dishwasher before with decent results but only after a thorough rinsing

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Not a bad plan at all, imo

verticity

I'm interested in things
The best method I've found for extending the life of a strainer is just to empty out the makas immediately after each use and wash with soap (dish detergent or liquid hand soap) and water. If you leave the used kava sitting in the bag it will get gunked up and yellow very quickly.

If your bag is already gunky and yellow, and soap and water isn't helping, I've had some luck soaking in alcohol. Use the highest proof you can find, ideally anhydrous, but I've gotten adequate results soaking in 70 or 90% isopropyl alcohol. Something like Everclear would probably work also. Obviously you need to rinse the bag very thoroughly with water to remove all the alcohol after doing that. That can remove most of the gunk, but still leaves a yellow color that I have found almost impossible to get rid of. (I have even tried ultrasonic cleaning in both soapy water and alcohol--not worth it--and there is still a light yellow color--the pigments seem to just permanently bind to the nylon).

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Good to know, I just bought my first strainer (the big one from kavafied) cause I decided to go traditional prep myself after finding I may have been ripping myself off with some grinds in the alu ball. Cause my last 2 kava sessions despite the root being fine were underwhelming and I noticed that the kava in there was just really oily and not enough root was getting through into the water. I don't mind the color being off after a while as long as nothing is actually gunked up in there.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Good to know, I just bought my first strainer (the big one from kavafied) cause I decided to go traditional prep myself after finding I may have been ripping myself off with some grinds in the alu ball. Cause my last 2 kava sessions despite the root being fine were underwhelming and I noticed that the kava in there was just really oily and not enough root was getting through into the water. I don't mind the color being off after a while as long as nothing is actually gunked up in there.
Did you have a geode? There's a very easy fix for when that occasionally happens. You just take it apart and attach unused ball halves to the clogged halves and reshake. Bingo, fresh grog.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
The best method I've found for extending the life of a strainer is just to empty out the makas immediately after each use and wash with soap (dish detergent or liquid hand soap) and water. If you leave the used kava sitting in the bag it will get gunked up and yellow very quickly.

If your bag is already gunky and yellow, and soap and water isn't helping, I've had some luck soaking in alcohol. Use the highest proof you can find, ideally anhydrous, but I've gotten adequate results soaking in 70 or 90% isopropyl alcohol. Something like Everclear would probably work also. Obviously you need to rinse the bag very thoroughly with water to remove all the alcohol after doing that. That can remove most of the gunk, but still leaves a yellow color that I have found almost impossible to get rid of. (I have even tried ultrasonic cleaning in both soapy water and alcohol--not worth it--and there is still a light yellow color--the pigments seem to just permanently bind to the nylon).
I will second verticity's approach above. After every use I rinse out all the makas and hand wash with dish soap and put up to dry on the dish rack. I have had the same strainer bag for ~8 months. It is a little stained, and a little stiffer than when first purchased but nothing that impacts use. I have tried vinegar before to clean the aluballs and tried it once on the bag but it didn't much..