What's new

Coffee filters and coffee makers for easy kava prep??

skippykava

Kava Curious
@PacIsleKava Very interested. My problem has generally been the silt left over in the bottom after filtering. I think that should not be drank.

I just tried the Clever dripper coffee maker with boiling water and micro grade and a metal filter inside a coffee filter. Very little water came through. The kava just became a mush. I had to add a lot more water and dilute it a lot.

What came out though had a yellow / brown color, instead of the regular brown color. The yellow was kavalactones. It was the smoothest filter I've ever had though, but almost none came through. Yo have to keep diluting and releasing the filter for a small drip of water. I got some mild effects, but nothing enjoyable.

This method is interesting from an ease of prep perspective. I'm not sure if will eliminate the silt problem though. A simple solution to that though could be to let the kava settle and then use a straw to drink it and somehow put a safety girl near the bottom of the cup to prevent the straw from going down to the silt level.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
There have been other threads about nifty kava-making devices, like the Alu-Ball, and a homemade device someone made
out of a rock tumbler (very cool!).

So, to get all geeky here, I wonder if it would work to use subsonic pulses, applied to a water-n-grind mixture, to nudge
the kavalactones out of the fibers? Or maybe ultrasonic? I wonder if this would have the same effect as a mechanical device but
with no moving parts and probably less noise (although subsonic pulses would probably be annoying).

I don't have any devices in mind to do this. Anybody know of any?