What's new

Kava Preparation Combining Kava with other things

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Recently I've been trying combining other things with Kava to change the taste, and maybe even modify the effect. I've found that if I add a small amount of fresh banana to my mix, it makes it much more drinkable but it slows down the onset of the effects. I wouldn't go so far as saying it makes the Kava nice. but it makes it very much better tasting. I've just done 4 heaped Teaspoons KWK Micronized Borongoru in about 400 ml water with a small bit of Banana, blended together, taken on an empty stomach. Boy was it strong !
I think it was the strongest Kava experience I have ever had.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Recently I've been trying combining other things with Kava to change the taste, and maybe even modify the effect. I've found that if I add a small amount of fresh banana to my mix, it makes it much more drinkable but it slows down the onset of the effects. I wouldn't go so far as saying it makes the Kava nice. but it makes it very much better tasting. I've just done 4 heaped Teaspoons KWK Micronized Borongoru in about 400 ml water with a small bit of Banana, blended together, taken on an empty stomach. Boy was it strong !
I think it was the strongest Kava experience I have ever had.
Sounds great!

With my homemade instants I have had also great success with milk, powdered chocolate, coconut milk, orange juice, and also flavored syrups from Eastern Europe, especially strawberry, raspberry, and black currant. These blended smoothies are great for breakfasts, social occasions, and especially for newcomers to kava. And, as you found, you can make them as strong or as weak as you like. I usually make them about half the strength you did for daily drinking, but at the strength you made I bet it was absolutely wonderful!

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
I recently found a video on Youtube that had a recipe for Kava Mojitos. It was actually pretty good. I did substitute simple syrup for the sugar and that went a long way. You might check that out if you like mojitos.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I recently found a video on Youtube that had a recipe for Kava Mojitos. It was actually pretty good. I did substitute simple syrup for the sugar and that went a long way. You might check that out if you like mojitos.
I'm not much into alcohol but if Kava can be used instead then that's a maybe

Dyttocs

Here's my current quickie version of kava. Really good. No onset delays. No digestive issues. Borderline delicious.

2 or more or less (depends on you) heaping teaspoons of micronized Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

1 heaping teaspoon of unsweetened organic cocoa powder

1 packet of stevia

10 ozs. alkaline water

1 oz. of cream

Add cocoa, stevia and kava to water. Stir for a while until the hydrophobic cocoa dissolves. Top off with cream (or 1/2 and 1/2).

Drink down 1/2, all at once. Continue life. Drink other 1/2 10-40 minutes later depending on groove.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
This is an interesting topic. I think it is highly subjective, and that mixing stuff into kava works for some people and not for others.

Personally, I've tried mixing all kinds of different stuff into kava to try to make it palatable:
  • Daly's drink mix, multiple flavors. The pomogranite flavor IIRC was slightly ok.
  • Coffee creamer, various flavors
  • Coconut water instead of plain water
  • Lemon and lime juice, with and without sugar
In my experience, nothing I've tried has helped at all. It tastes different with stuff mixed in, but just a different variety of awful.

But, that's just me. :) So, I just slog though with plain kava and think of the nice effect to come rather than the taste.

The single biggest thing that has helped me deal with the taste is to exhale as I bring the shell up to my face, and only breathe through
my mouth after drinking the shell, until I've had a drink of water or soda to clear it all out. That pretty much makes me not taste
it at all.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
This is an interesting topic. I think it is highly subjective, and that mixing stuff into kava works for some people and not for others.

Personally, I've tried mixing all kinds of different stuff into kava to try to make it palatable:
  • Daly's drink mix, multiple flavors. The pomogranite flavor IIRC was slightly ok.
  • Coffee creamer, various flavors
  • Coconut water instead of plain water
  • Lemon and lime juice, with and without sugar
In my experience, nothing I've tried has helped at all. It tastes different with stuff mixed in, but just a different variety of awful.

But, that's just me. :) So, I just slog though with plain kava and think of the nice effect to come rather than the taste.

The single biggest thing that has helped me deal with the taste is to exhale as I bring the shell up to my face, and only breathe through
my mouth after drinking the shell, until I've had a drink of water or soda to clear it all out. That pretty much makes me not taste
it at all.
The only thing that seems makes a major difference in the taste is to use MORE water, so its more dilute, but unfortunately then you have to drink a lot of liquid,
straining it through a finer mesh to get more of the particles out also makes it taste milder.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
The only thing that seems makes a major difference in the taste is to use MORE water, so its more dilute, but unfortunately then you have to drink a lot of liquid,
straining it through a finer mesh to get more of the particles out also makes it taste milder.
I was introduced to kava by someone who had lived in Fiji for awhile and was taught to make it relatively weak. My friends and I (back in highschool) used to drink absurd amounts of weak kava. It actually makes a nice social experience.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
For me, mixing it weak means I lose out on the kavain buzz but I usually only drink later afternoon to night and by myself.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I think if you mix it with mimosa root tea and canabis cheesecake it’s more interesting. Maybe that’s just me though. ‍
Today tried something new. 3 Teaspoons Micronized Kava + 1.5 cups water + 2 Dropper fulls CharlottesWeb CBD oil. Wow, major numbing, and for the first time no unpleasant Kava taste.