What's new

Cooking method of prep: What temperature and duration?

anon

Hello,

I just received a thermomix which is like a food processor that can stir at any temperature and it also heats. I can set it to stir at any temperature and also set it at any duration to cook.
I'd like to try kava prep in it. What temperature and duration do you think I should try?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello,

I just received a thermomix which is like a food processor that can stir at any temperature and it also heats. I can set it to stir at any temperature and also set it at any duration to cook.
I'd like to try kava prep in it. What temperature and duration do you think I should try?
I'm not sure I'd put kava anywhere around that unless you don't mind it never being the same again. Kava has a way of leaving a buildup that is quite impossible to fully remove. Also I can imagine a heating and chopping will really get those starches going which will make kava with the thickness of pudding. Cooking kava causes it to congeal into something quite literally like a soupy pudding.

If you do try it let us know how it went. Sadly I doubt I'll be adding that kitchen utensil to my arsenal. That bad boy's a little steep for my wallet.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Kap'm is right. You don't need to cook kava. Just add some warm/hot water and knead it while it cools. That's plenty.

Just look at anyone who makes blender kava with scalding water--they've got a permanent orange glaze inside the pitcher. Super hot water also tends to make the kava extra thick and slimy, 'cause the intact starch particles all burst into tiny bits rather than acting like KL magnets.

anon

Thank you both for your replies. You two provided great information and I don't want to damage my new toy. I'll stick to conventional prep.

Thanks again