What's new

Crown Kava

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
Has anybody tried Crown Kava? I bought a bag of it from an obscure mini mart in Kailua Kona 5 months ago but haven't tried it yet, because I still had plenty of GHK kava. Now I am on a budget, and need to drink this stuff, or at least try it. So wondering if it is any good? I found their website and it looks pretty fancy, and it has lots of information, so that's a pretty good sign. Here's the website: http://crownkavallc.com/index.html
Ok, I suppose later today or tomorrow I will give it a go. It's gonna be hard going from GHK micronized to this, I fear.

D

Deleted User01

Nice view their @Delicate Drunk , looks like Crown Kava and House Remodeling. Looks like all the dudes are inside taking a break and drinking kava.

I hope those are not the same guys who processed and bagged the kava. Lookit, I have an idea. Just keep the phone number for poison control handy and go for it. But be sure to space your shells out every 20 minutes for all the wrong reasons. Also, give the powder a whiff and make sure it smells like kava. Even if it has Tudei, at least it is still kava.

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
Yeah, I am gonna try that acetone test I think. Also, I noticed the street view is from 4 years ago, so maybe it's different now.
It does smell and look like kava though.
I have gotten some random sources of kava in the past here in Kona. In my old neighborhood I saw there was a big kava bowl in the garage whenever I walked by the house, so one day I asked them where to buy some kava and a Samoan, or Tongan or Fijian (can't remember which) Mom yelled at one of her kids and they ran out of the house with a ziplock bag of kava. It was only 10 for a pound, and it wasn't bad, but I think it was tudei.

verticity

I'm interested in things
It says the kava is grown in Tonga, so that house on the street view could just be the house of the guy that imports and sells it.

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
Yes, I think you are right verticity. The packaging they did looks fairly professional. Here is the mini-mart where I bought it, just in case you were interested and enjoy random things. https://goo.gl/maps/c0BV3 This mini-mart is rather random if you ever go inside it it is pretty interesting, filled with normal American crap but also stuff from Micronesia and other Pacific Islanders stuff, priced to be affordable. And it is also the only place in Kona I know of to buy Kava at more affordable rates. The kava bar downtown is pretty expensive.

Frankie808

Kava Curious
One look at that house and i can tell you that is tongan kava that you have. That home belongs to a tongan family.

Frankie808

Kava Curious
If you zoom into the garage you can see gramma folding a tongan mat while papa is guarding the fridge. Work trucks parked in the driveway that are typical to rock wall builders. Im tongan as well.

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you zoom into the garage you can see gramma folding a tongan mat while papa is guarding the fridge. Work trucks parked in the driveway that are typical to rock wall builders. Im tongan as well.
LOL Guarding the fridge from what?

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
I found this to be quite interesting... as I was unable to find a "kava origin story" anywhere else.

It is said to have happened in the place of Faa`imata on the island of `Eueiki near the main island of Tongatapu, approximately an hour away from the capital, Nuku`alofa. At the time, the only people residing on the island were a family of three, the father Fevanga, the mother Fefafa, and their daughter Kava, who had to spend most of her time indoors because she had leprosy.

This was in the days when Tu`I Tonga was ruler/king of Tonga. He had gone out to fish, but was unsuccessful. In search of food, he sailed to `Eueiki to rest, and could see no sign that it was inhabited. Exhausted, he lay down to rest against a large taro plant, which was coincidentally the only means of nutrition on the island. When Fevanga and Fefafa found out that the king was on their island, they hurried to prepare a feast for him, as was demanded by the custom of respect. Searching for taro for the feast, Fevanga discovered that the Tu`I Tonga was lying asleep on the only taro plant left on the island. Fevanga did not dare wake up the king to obtain the taro.

This posed a great dilemma for the Fevanga. There was nothing to present to the king as an offering, since he was asleep on top of the only source of food on the island. The only solution was to take the life of their only daughter and offer her to the Tu`I Tonga as food. And so they did. The crewmen of the king’s boats found out what had been done and reported it to the king. The king was deeply moved by the sacrificial act of the couple, and he ordered that her body be buried before he returned to Tongatapu. So the childless couple laid their daughter Kava to rest in a grave on `Eueiki.

After some time, two plants grew from the grave of their unfortunate daughter Kava, one at the head and one at the foot. These two plants were unfamiliar to Fevanga and Fefafa. As they were visiting the grave one day, a sickly rat came by and gnawed on the plant at the foot of the grave, suddenly returning to normal health. Subsequently, Fevanga and Fefafa decided to name the bitter tasting plant at the foot of the grave Kava, in honor of their daughter. The sweet tasting plant that grew at the head of the grave, they named To (sugarcane), because of its sweetness. The couple harvested these two plants and took them to Tongatapu to present to the Tu’I Tonga.

Sacrifice is one of the essential values of Tongan culture. Love is shown through sacrifice, and true love is bonded with sacrifice. The spirit of sacrifice is kept alive in the minds of Tongans through frequent repetition of the kava ceremony. At a Tongan wedding, the kava ceremony symbolizes the love of the couple, as well as reminding those present that sacrifice is the truest form of Tongan love. The kava ceremony is done during funerals as a remembrance of the loved one that is gone. It is also a symbol of respect to the the grieving family. In other contexts, the ceremony symbolizes different meanings, but all are bounded by the essence of love as sacrifice.

Source: http://crownkavallc.com/the-legend.html

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
Ok, I finally tried it today and it's good! Tastes smooth and mellow like most Hawaiian kavas, and potency seems to be good. It's sort of stimulating, heady kava. I only had a medium dose though, it seems like it would be fun to chug a lot of it.

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
Yes, that is a cool story!
QUOTE="-33-, post: 63000, member: 1905"]I found this to be quite interesting... as I was unable to find a "kava origin story" anywhere else.

It is said to have happened in the place of Faa`imata on the island of `Eueiki near the main island of Tongatapu, approximately an hour away from the capital, Nuku`alofa. At the time, the only people residing on the island were a family of three, the father Fevanga, the mother Fefafa, and their daughter Kava, who had to spend most of her time indoors because she had leprosy.

This was in the days when Tu`I Tonga was ruler/king of Tonga. He had gone out to fish, but was unsuccessful. In search of food, he sailed to `Eueiki to rest, and could see no sign that it was inhabited. Exhausted, he lay down to rest against a large taro plant, which was coincidentally the only means of nutrition on the island. When Fevanga and Fefafa found out that the king was on their island, they hurried to prepare a feast for him, as was demanded by the custom of respect. Searching for taro for the feast, Fevanga discovered that the Tu`I Tonga was lying asleep on the only taro plant left on the island. Fevanga did not dare wake up the king to obtain the taro.

This posed a great dilemma for the Fevanga. There was nothing to present to the king as an offering, since he was asleep on top of the only source of food on the island. The only solution was to take the life of their only daughter and offer her to the Tu`I Tonga as food. And so they did. The crewmen of the king’s boats found out what had been done and reported it to the king. The king was deeply moved by the sacrificial act of the couple, and he ordered that her body be buried before he returned to Tongatapu. So the childless couple laid their daughter Kava to rest in a grave on `Eueiki.

After some time, two plants grew from the grave of their unfortunate daughter Kava, one at the head and one at the foot. These two plants were unfamiliar to Fevanga and Fefafa. As they were visiting the grave one day, a sickly rat came by and gnawed on the plant at the foot of the grave, suddenly returning to normal health. Subsequently, Fevanga and Fefafa decided to name the bitter tasting plant at the foot of the grave Kava, in honor of their daughter. The sweet tasting plant that grew at the head of the grave, they named To (sugarcane), because of its sweetness. The couple harvested these two plants and took them to Tongatapu to present to the Tu’I Tonga.

Sacrifice is one of the essential values of Tongan culture. Love is shown through sacrifice, and true love is bonded with sacrifice. The spirit of sacrifice is kept alive in the minds of Tongans through frequent repetition of the kava ceremony. At a Tongan wedding, the kava ceremony symbolizes the love of the couple, as well as reminding those present that sacrifice is the truest form of Tongan love. The kava ceremony is done during funerals as a remembrance of the loved one that is gone. It is also a symbol of respect to the the grieving family. In other contexts, the ceremony symbolizes different meanings, but all are bounded by the essence of love as sacrifice.

Source: http://crownkavallc.com/the-legend.html[/QUOTE]