What's new

Daily routine

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find one. So my question to all of you more experienced kava consumers or even new peeps who have found their balance:
What is your daily kava routine? Please state the times you eat, general type of meal and times you consume kava. If you want maybe also include activities you do throughout the day too....i.e.

8am 3oz kava
9am work
1pm lunch... etc :)
I feel like kava effects me very differently after work even though I get off at 6 and don't usually eat for 4-5 hours prior to my after-work kava. Keeping in mind this is day 2 :) I'm thinking my lunches might be too heavy because even though there is a big time gap I have a slow digestive system. Thanks guys! ! I really love reading everyone's different experiences :happy:.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I only drink kava in the evening, breakfast is eggs chorizo and toast...lunch between 12-2pm...I eat whatever...start kava 6:30/7:30ish...then small dinner around 8:45pm, this is when I have the fullest kava effect.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I also only drink kava in the evening on an empty stomach - so I eat supper very early, like around 5 pm and drink my kava about 3 / 4 hours later. I mix my kava with coconut-milk in order to make it more potent.
I do a lot of sports and weight training, so I'm not too happy about not eating on evenings, so I eat a lot during the morning and day. Breakfast is usually a big bowl of oatmeal with different protein-sources on top and milk. Lunch differs form day to day, but mostly consist of vegetables, meats, bread etc. Depending on my activity-level and hunger I will eat smaller meals in between lunch and supper also.
In betweeen meals I eat a lot of fruit, smoothies and stuff like that.
And remember to drink A LOT of water during the day and in your kava-session, since kava dehydrates your body like crap. ;)

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
For workdays:
I like to do a small breakfast shell of like 4 ounces, not for a kruzz, just to smooth out the work day.
Sometimes a small shell right before lunch.
Then two bigger shells before dinner and maybe another a few hours after dinner.
This was with traditional root. I made the mistake of taking three teaspoons of Kava King micronized this morning before work and got kind of krunk on my way in, had to eat a little to trim it back.
Weekends:
More...:)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I generally have a shell or two in the morning at work 8 am . Then eat some 9 am breakfast then eat lunch 1pm ish then have kava after work 3pm or so. And yeah the second kava of the day is never as strong (usually) but that's how everything is typically like coffee or cannabis .. the first is allways the best ;) I'm still trying to figure out the best for this... but ginger is your friend if you have slow digestion :)

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
My daily kava routine goes like this;

Eat Dinner by 6:00 PM
Drink kava at 10:15 PM
Cover one eye while I search for the bed @ 10:30 PM
So you just drink it before bed? I did that last night and felt great while I drifted off....then woke up a (felt like) million times to pee. Won't be doing that again! :dead:.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yep, just before bed. It does have that little side effect that can keep you up, but I've found that the longer you drink it, the more you begin to figure out the little tweaks about kava that can allow you to drink it before bed without any problems. I usually end up with about 10 oz of kava that I'm drinking before bed, and as long as I use the bathroom before bed (like right before) it doesn't wake me up. Used to, but it seems like I've just gotten used to it.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
If I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I'm going to have a hard time falling back to sleep, I do a quick shell--puts me right back to floaty wonderland.

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
If I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I'm going to have a hard time falling back to sleep, I do a quick shell--puts me right back to floaty wonderland.
I actually am not even sure I fully woke up to go to the bathroom....just would stumble in lol. No problem falling back asleep but just had to get up sooo many times. I have a tiny bladder though. So now I learned my lesson. I'll be more careful with how close to bedtime I drink kava and how much other liquid I drink before bed too if I do drink kava close to sleepy time.

D

Deleted User01

@Megan, I take kava to help relieve stress during the day and sleep well at night. So anywhere from 2:30-4:00 I will do a tablespoon of Moi Micronized. I usually do one more before 5pm if need be. After work, I'll go outside and do chores and take a tablespoon of Nene right before supper. Nene is the sleep component. Then I eat and then I crash with my audio book. I always tell everyone to make sure you leave 1-2 hours from Kava to sleep. Those that don't sometimes complain that kava kept them awake. Yeah, and that brontosuarus burger with the works had nothing to do with it, right? Anyway, leave plenty of time between kava and bedtime for that nice worn out feeling and you will sleep well.
On the bladder thing, don't even talk to me about that or I have to go. I always have a glass of water nearby because kava does dehyrate and I may take a few sips between Zombie Walks (as Shakas has so aptly named the call to the restroom).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm fairly new to this myself but here's my plan which I can mostly stick to. It's worth mentioning that I am trying to lose weight at the moment after years of heavy drinking piling on the lbs. It's also worth mentioning that I am a lorry driver and so can work up to 15 hours a day which is what most often throws my plan out. All that said my perfect kava day is...

Work generally starts at 6am or thereabouts...
12 noon... a pint of milk...
15.00... an apple...
18.00 - 19.00/19.30... kava time! generally 2 or 3 shells, still trying for favourite type and dose but getting there...
19.00/19.30 - 20.00/20.30... a decent meal but often spaced out so I don't eat a big amount in one sitting...
22.00 ish... bed...

As mentioned there are a few things that can mess this up but I try and stick to this and also something similar on the weekends although I will eat more during the day on a weekend. Once I have reached a weight that I am happy with I will change my eating pattern to be more substantial during the day and less at night so I could have a decent breakfast and lunch and a lighter meal in the evening after the kava. I find what I am doing to be working quite nicely, I'm feeling happier, drinking less and losing weight so all good :)

I think it takes everyone time to find their perfect routine. This forum has definitely helped me on so many levels with questions/answers. You are in a good place so keep going.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
My daily kava routine goes like this;

Eat Dinner by 6:00 PM
Drink kava at 10:15 PM
Cover one eye while I search for the bed @ 10:30 PM
15 minutes ?! Do you chill in bed for an hour or two and enjoy it ... or is it 100% medicinal to you ?::chugger:::sleep:

blindy107

Kava Lover
I have my leftover grog at 5 am when I get up. Usually just a diluted shell. Then I have my protein powder, milk and coffee concoction with some fruit around 7am. Then I have small lunch around 10-11am. Around 3:30 I make kava. First shell at 4 or so. Then I make dinner while drinking more grog. Dinner at 6-630. Then couch till 9 and bed.

Kavakaize

kavakaize
I'm not sure if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find one. So my question to all of you more experienced kava consumers or even new peeps who have found their balance:
What is your daily kava routine? Please state the times you eat, general type of meal and times you consume kava. If you want maybe also include activities you do throughout the day too....i.e.

8am 3oz kava
9am work
I feel like kava effects me very differently after work even though I get off at 6 and don't usually eat for 4-5 hours prior to my after-work kava. Keeping in mind this is day 2 :) I'm thinking my lunches might be too heavy because even though there is a big time gap I have a slow digestive system. Thanks guys! ! I really love reading everyone's different experiences :happy:.

My 2 cents is find the variety for you and what time of day to use it for effect desired. Then gauge how you feel if you need kava during day go for it. I stop by 7 or 8pm or yes can wake to urinate.
If trouble getting back then shoot a small shell..

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro

8am 3oz kava
9am work
Never kava in the morning. Not for me. On weekends, only if I feel like I have time for an afternoon nap.

Kava at 6pm is kind of perfect. I never drink it past 9pm unless I can sleep in the next morning. This applies to heady/heavy/whatever. Even the really heady stuff like Mo'i, Nambawan, Pouni Ono eventually mellows into a nice sedating hum towards bedtime.

I you're on day 2, your system may not have stabilized with respect to kava, so let it go for a while. I've found that people get the heavy effects (soporific/sedative) first when they start drinking it, with the heady effects (euphoria/stimulation) coming only after they've passed the much vaunted reverse tolerance phase. For me it was like an epiphany... two weeks of drinking muddy water that made me tired and then all of the sudden I was sitting on a cloud at peace with the world and everything in it.

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
Never kava in the morning. Not for me. On weekends, only if I feel like I have time for an afternoon nap.

Kava at 6pm is kind of perfect. I never drink it past 9pm unless I can sleep in the next morning. This applies to heady/heavy/whatever. Even the really heady stuff like Mo'i, Nambawan, Pouni Ono eventually mellows into a nice sedating hum towards bedtime.

I you're on day 2, your system may not have stabilized with respect to kava, so let it go for a while. I've found that people get the heavy effects (soporific/sedative) first when they start drinking it, with the heady effects (euphoria/stimulation) coming only after they've passed the much vaunted reverse tolerance phase. For me it was like an epiphany... two weeks of drinking muddy water that made me tired and then all of the sudden I was sitting on a cloud at peace with the world and everything in it.
Thank you! That is just what I needed to hear, It's been one week and I have been getting semi-discouraged. Though reading everyone's success with kava has kept me from getting too down....it's good to hear that if I keep at it there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Thank you! That is just what I needed to hear, It's been one week and I have been getting semi-discouraged. Though reading everyone's success with kava has kept me from getting too down....it's good to hear that if I keep at it there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
I *was* discouraged. It occurred to me more than once that "Well? Maybe it just doesn't work with my body chemistry. *shrug*"

Hang in there. It's utterly and completely worth it.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
My daily routine is...
well I don't have a daily.
But when I do have a kava day is normally later in the day. Maybe after dinner. Just depends