What's new

Damu replacement?

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Hey everyone, happy new year! I'm nearly out of my favorite kava, Damu from KwK (currently or of stock), and I'd love recommendations for something similar. I used to think I loved heady, but it turns out I prefer a balanced kava (I'd confused heady for euphoric). I'm thinking it may be time to try squanch, but I'd love your suggestions!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hey everyone, happy new year! I'm nearly out of my favorite kava, Damu from KwK (currently or of stock), and I'd love recommendations for something similar. I used to think I loved heady, but it turns out I prefer a balanced kava (I'd confused heady for euphoric). I'm thinking it may be time to try squanch, but I'd love your suggestions!
I'd go with the Vula Waka or the Loa Waka, they are also excellent. Squanch is my usual stuff, but the Vula waka is especially good and worth trying.

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Thanks! I've got Vula And Loa, actually! Vula is similar to Damu (not as tasty though!), but the Loa for me is much headier. I'm interested in something new and in the same vein if you have any other suggestions!

I'd go with the Vula Waka or the Loa Waka, they are also excellent. Squanch is my usual stuff, but the Vula waka is especially good and worth trying.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks! I've got Vula And Loa, actually! Vula is similar to Damu (not as tasty though!), but the Loa for me is much headier. I'm interested in something new and in the same vein if you have any other suggestions!
Kava Time has a Kadavu Waka which also excellent, he's also sold out on it for now. If you haven't tried Squanch, you should, it's my regular grog.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Closest to Damu IMO would be Squanch, and also Kadavu by Kava Time, even more so Taveuni's Secret but I believe that is out of stock now, like Damu.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Why not branch out and try different varieties? But as far as that effect that damu has, GHK boroguru typically fits the bill. Vula Waka does too. The first batch of damu was really similar to vula IME. BKH Taveuni waka is a bit like damu of you cranked up the krunk level.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
In general I would say the closest is Squanch. They aren't similar, but they are comparable. Main difference is Damu is excellent, Squanch is better. They both taste like the bitter yanqona they are. Oh, and with Squanch I get euphoria on the first shell then profound cosmic mellow afterwards but with Damu I get euphoria with every shell, plus the profound mellow. OTOH, the euphoria with Squanch is even more euphoric, and melty, and the following mellow is even more profound. And there's a playing with fire/locking into some essential flow of energy emerging from deep in the bowels of the earth, full of magma and laughter, that you get with Squanch and don't get with Damu. Damu is very civilized, sophisticated, even. Squanch is more elemental. You can tone that down a bit, I like to mix it with Kula or Tongan Family Reserve. Haven't tried it with Pouni Ono or that Vava'u I got yet, but I'm guessing there's similar effect, just as balanced, but with a slightly more dignified euphoria. Damu I would serve to people I wanted to impress, like my boss. Squanch is for family and close friends and soulmates.

Disqualifier: I gave my son a pound of each. I should ask his opinion. He loves both, of course. But he only went ape over Squanch.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
[QUOTE="Krunkie McKrunkface, post: 149543, . Haven't tried it with Pouni Ono or that Vava'u I got yet,

What's this vava'u of which you speak?
I went out on a limb and gambled on an unknown, around here anyway, root. It was just called "Tongan" and the website showed pictures of stem peelings, but I was gambling that isn't what it was and it paid off. So I bought a kg of "Tongan" from Made in Tonga, shipped from NZ, came out to a total price of $62/lb shipped to my door and surprisingly took only a week and a half to get from NZ to MI. Package says it is 5 year old stuff from Vava'u and it tastes and feels like this is entirely plausible. I find it comparable to Pouni Ono, tastes good, balanced, good headiness, makes you sleepy later. It's still not cheap, but for a decent Tongan, neither is the price unreasonable, IMO.

http://www.madeintonga.com/product_details/p/73/c/65/Kava Powder 1kg (Piper Methysticum)

Note that their prices are listed in NZ dollars which are currently trading at 71 cents US

Unfortunately, this was the conversation that made Larry go off the deep end. Kind of wish that hadn't happened. If people had just waited for me to report back from my gamble none of that would have happened. At least, I like to think that people would have trusted me to be honest if not accurate or reliable. I have enough money, or at least my wife does, she has a well-paying crappy stressful job that pays all our bills while I lolly-gag about, that I pay for my kava and I'm old enough, and consequently have no fear of death, having lived a good life with no regrets and nothing left unfulfilled, that I have no fear of death or anything else, so if I drink a kava and give my opinion on it, it might be utter horse fluffies, but it is, at least, my genuine opinion.

PS did I mention that I have no fear of death? One of the things kava has done for me is reconcile me with death, both my own and those of others dear to me, in a way which can only be described as beautiful and profound. It's yet another transformation for which I am grateful to kava.

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Taveuni's Secret is not sold out (yet).

Does all Squanch taste pretty much the same? Mine tasted weird to me. I wonder if I got a fluke batch that didn't dry properly or something? Like darker mass-produced honey vs local clover honey; ambery.

Did anyone else find Vula Waka weak for their body chemistry? I think I had to drink nearly a dozen tbs to get a sense for what it really feels like. I don't usually have to drink that much. I think I have a hard time feeling methysticin.

I wish vendors would offer 1 tbs sample packs just to sample flavors (but that probably would be a very niche product).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Taveuni's Secret is not sold out (yet).

Does all Squanch taste pretty much the same? Mine tasted weird to me. I wonder if I got a fluke batch that didn't dry properly or something? Like darker mass-produced honey vs local clover honey; ambery.

Did anyone else find Vula Waka weak for their body chemistry? I think I had to drink nearly a dozen tbs to get a sense for what it really feels like. I don't usually have to drink that much. I think I have a hard time feeling methysticin.

I wish vendors would offer 1 tbs sample packs just to sample flavors (but that probably would be a very niche product).
Ah, right you are, it's the Taveuni's Lawena that is sold out, not the Taveuni's Secret. In that case, it goes to the top of mylist for "replacement for Damu." It's an excellent kava.

All Squanch tastes weird but some batches taste weirder than others, particularly in the element of "rancid tar pit on a July afternoon," which is more pronounced in some batches than others.

I found the first Vula I got from KWK to be somewhat weak, that was back in April or May, but the Vula I got more recently is quite strong, same with the Borongoru.