What's new

Damu replacement?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Ah, right you are, it's the Taveuni's Lawena that is sold out, not the Taveuni's Secret. In that case, it goes to the top of mylist for "replacement for Damu." It's an excellent kava.

All Squanch tastes weird but some batches taste weirder than others, particularly in the element of "rancid tar pit on a July afternoon," which is more pronounced in some batches than others.

I found the first Vula I got from KWK to be somewhat weak, that was back in April or May, but the Vula I got more recently is quite strong, same with the Borongoru.
Re: Squanch taste: Yeah, I was hesitant to use the word rancid, because I am still learning how different different kavas can taste and didn't wanna talk badly about a kava with great effects, a great price point, and wonderful service. But the word (slightly) "rancid" did come to mind. The best way I can describe the smell that bothers me (esp, in the dry root; but also muted into a dull ambery taste when brewed) is that it smells like a burp. [All this, of course, only relative to other kavas]

A slight petroleum taste probably wouldn't bother me, if I knew it was normal (though I didn't notice one). But the burpy smell keeps making me wonder if it didn't dry fast enough. I'm sure I will try it again eventually. Just wondered if the burpy smell was a fluke particular to my batch.

Last edited:

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
OK, so I got 1.5lbs of Damu on the way, as well as a bag of Dua Na Bilo coming today from Amazon. When those run low, I'll try out some squanch and Taveuni's secret. No end to the neat kavas to try. Thanks for the help everyone, I'm totally restocked!

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Woah, Dua Na Bilo Fijian waka is strong stuff! I made up 2 heaping tbsps in a high speed blender with warm water, and not only did it keep making decent washes (I went up to 5 before I quit, but it could have probably done one more), but I was pretty slammed by it too. Great value for $25 shipped!